Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

1. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

You said they were on bubble before tourny, they went winless and didnt even lose to the champs, im just sayin if they were on the bubble the bubble certainly did not burst, please show how they were in fact on alleged bubble?

2. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Why not publish the bids, when cities bid formthe cfp the bids were new. I even recall fiesta bowl was charged with corruption, but them winning the bid wasnt affected oddly enough. Cheating pays i guess with ncaa??

3. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

So everyone has the same bids, only the net outcome will be based on the success of the bidders?

4. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So everyone has the same bids, only the net outcome will be based on the success of the bidders?
    No. A % of estimated net receipts is bid . at least in the last bid form that I saw from a few years ago. This translates to an estimated bid, which then becomes an actual payment to the NCAA once the net receipts are known (full accounting is done post regional/super regional).

Brian

5. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    Why not publish the bids, when cities bid formthe cfp the bids were new. I even recall fiesta bowl was charged with corruption, but them winning the bid wasnt affected oddly enough. Cheating pays i guess with ncaa??
    The term "bid" is used loosely, like putting a quarter on the pinball machine, with estimates of winnings.

Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Article on Minnesota getting hosed by the selection committee. Article makes the point Brian was making earlier. Minnesota had an RPI rank of 11 which has as a component, Strength of Schedule. The committee looked at Strength of Schedule separately in justifying its national seeds and, in doing so, punished Minnesota twice (and will continue to punish schools outside the SEC, ACC, Pac-10 and Big XII ). Clearly having knowledgeable softball people that understand the RPI should be a pre-requisite in order to be on the softball selection committee. It is incredible to me that this obvious background is not currently a requirement.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more.8uP?li=BBnbfcL

7. UL Softball Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    Article on Minnesota getting hosed by the selection committee. Article makes the point Brian was making earlier. Minnesota had an RPI rank of 11 which has as a component, Strength of Schedule. The committee looked at Strength of Schedule separately in justifying its national seeds and, in doing so, punished Minnesota twice (and will continue to punish schools outside the SEC, ACC, Pac-10 and Big XII ). Clearly having knowledgeable softball people that understand the RPI should be a pre-requisite in order to be on the softball selection committee. It is incredible to me that this obvious background is not currently a requirement.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more.8uP?li=BBnbfcL
    Thanks for posting. I am glad that some folks are beginning to get it (SOS redundancy in the selection process). Hopefully the word spreads. But I do not see where the article points out that SOS is already a significant component of the RPI (nearly 75%). Did I miss it?

The selection committee also continues to harp on Top 10 and Top 25 "wins". But what about Top 10 and Top 25 record? It is not wins . but wins and losses that are important. If you focus on just wins, you will continue to strengthen what has become a self-perpetuating system . as it is the conference elites that have the numerous opportunities for these games . and the others become even more shutout once the playing rules are known. It becomes a closed system.

What is better . losing 2/3 of your games vs. the RPI Top 25 (but garnering more wins) . 5-10, 6-12, 7-14 . or going 3-2, 2-2? Or 6-16 (LSU), 8-13 (Alabama), 7-11 (Kentucky) vs. 2-2, 3-2? Is that 6-16 or 8-13 so much better that you overlook other metrics telling you something else . including head to head wins by the 2-2 and 3-2 teams over the 6-16 and 8-13 teams, respectively.?

Did folks see the response from Carol Hutchins?

I cannot remember more stinging criticism levied at a baseball/softball selection committee than what the 2017 NCAA Softball selection committee is receiving from the masses. The 2006 baseball selection committee was criticized hard, but nothing like this.

Brian

how many women and how many man are respectively on the committee?

UL Softball Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Minnesota did everything right, of their 57 games only 16 were at home. Think about it 16 home games 41 away/neutral site games. They were 20-3 at true away games and 18-0 on neutral site games.

Alabama outside of the SEC

Coastal Carolina tournament
    Louisiana away
    Texas Tech at home
    Central Florida at home
    Stanford at home
    Georgia Southern at home
    Washington at home
    Other teams they played at home (Southern Miss, UAB, Kent State, Winthrop, Loyola-Chicago, Valparaiso, Jacksonville, Drake)

Host #1 Florida overall 50-6, home 22-2, away 15-3, neutral 13-1
    Host #7 Auburn overall 46-10, home 28-4, away 10-4, neutral 8-2
    Host #8 Tennessee overall 44-10, home 23-4, away 10-4, neutral 11-2
    Host #9 Texas A&M overall 42-10, home 28-6, away 9-3, neutral 5-1
    Host #16 Alabama overall 42-16, home 27-6, away 9-9, neutral 6-1
    Host #13 LSU overall 41-18, home 27-5, away 6-9, neutral 8-4
    Host #14 Kentucky overall 36-17, home 12-6, away 14-7, neutral 10-4
    Host #12 Ole Miss overall 40-18, home 20-6, away 6-10, neutral 14-2
    Mississippi State overall 36-20, home 24-7, away 7-11, neutral 5-2, last 10 4-6
    South Carolina overall 32-23, home 22-9, away 6-9, neutral 4-5, last 10 5-5
    Missouri overall 29-26, home 15-11, away 5-9, neutral 9-6, last 10 2-8
    Arkansas overall 31-22, home 13-8, away 9-13, neutral 9-1, last 10 4-6
    Georgia overall 33-21, home 24-8, away 3-10, neutral 6-3, last 10 4-6

Yes the system is fair, ____ the NCAA

10. UL Softball Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Minnesota did everything right, of their 57 games only 16 were at home. Think about it 16 home games 41 away/neutral site games. They were 20-3 at true away games and 18-0 on neutral site games.
    This will be more fuel for the proponents of changing the RPI to account for home/road in softball (as it is obviously not being represented in the committee selection criteria) . something I proposed through Coach Mike to the softball committee in the summer of 2012 . but the committee wanted to "study" the effect in baseball first (baseball utilized it for the first time in 2013).

Of course, baseball got the factor wrong, resulting in it being a nice advantage to teams that schedule more road games. But the philosophy is sound. Softball should have such an adjustment.

Brian

11. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    No. A % of estimated net receipts is bid . at least in the last bid form that I saw from a few years ago. This translates to an estimated bid, which then becomes an actual payment to the NCAA once the net receipts are known (full accounting is done post regional/super regional).

Brian
    If it is like the FCS playoffs, the bid is a guarantee to the NCAA. I think it gives the NCAA the bid or a percentage (75% ??) of the receipts, whichever is higher. If you don't make enough money to cover the bid, you still have to pay it. At least, that was how it was explained to me years ago.

Doc

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    how many women and how many man are respectively on the committee?
    I'm curious to know why this would matter?

13. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCajun123 View Post
    SEC Network--> Owned by ESPN
    ESPN --> constantly hypes up SEC schools
    Said SEC Schools --> Climb in polls
    Beating high teams in Polls--> improve SOS and RPI
    High RPI--> Rewarded with National Seeds
    When the SEC teams get national seeds and play in postseason it improves the overall value of the conference. With improved value, ESPN can increase advertising revenue and subscriber revenue.
    $$$ Now do you believe in the SEC Bias from ESPN? $$$
    If you don't then refer yourself to Kentucky (17 loses) receiving a host site instead of Minnesota, Louisiana, or James Madison. (15 loses combined)

14. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    There isn't a conspiracy just incompetence. I think a lot of people don't understand the makeup of the various committees or how they work. Below is a link to the current Div 1 softball committee members.

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/comm.itteeName=1WSB

15. Default Re: 2017 NCAA Softball Tournament Selection Show-9 pm ESPN 2

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    If it is like the FCS playoffs, the bid is a guarantee to the NCAA. I think it gives the NCAA the bid or a percentage (75% ??) of the receipts, whichever is higher. If you don't make enough money to cover the bid, you still have to pay it. At least, that was how it was explained to me years ago.

Doc
    As stated earlier in this thread, they bid a % of the estimated net receipts (and the minimum is 75%). This % of estimated net receipts must also be >= $50,000 (baseball) for a regional and $35,000 for a super regional (baseball).

Brian

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information