Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: Wally Pontiff Classic vs LSU Preview | The Grind

Default Wally Pontiff Classic vs LSU Preview | The Grind

This will be a measuring stick for the progress of young Jack Burk. He's had some phenomenal outings lately. Hope he can carry that momentum into the Classic.

Link: https://youtu.be/2LM-fkoedf0

Default Re: Wally Pontiff Classic vs LSU Preview | The Grind

If the Cajuns are going to Grind their way into an at-large team, it begins with a W tomorrow night. This game is extremely important for LA to put on the resume. Need a good win. and then carry it over to the weekend and sweep a team we should sweep at home. Then we will be on our way.

Maybe we see Schmidt this week!

This team better go ahead a plan on winning a title to get in, if we fall short and happen to get in on an at largegreat.but better not count on getting in on an at large with our schedule and record.

4. Default Re: Wally Pontiff Classic vs LSU Preview | The Grind

No offense, but this game isn't that important. I want to win, because I hate those a55holes, but it's really irrelevant. We are not an at large team. We will need to win the league to get into the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    No offense, but this game isn't that important. I want to win, because I hate those a55holes, but it's really irrelevant. We are not an at large team. We will need to win the league to get into the tourney.
    I think we can work our way into an at-large team. Might not be likely given recent history/play. But, I'm seeing flashes.

But do you agree that it is possible if they right the wrongs of the past and play like expected going into the season?

A win over LSU is always good. But this game, IMHO, is more important because I think we need it to make-up for eggs laid in mid-week games past - and get on the right track.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I think we can work our way into an at-large team. Might not be likely given recent history/play. But, I'm seeing flashes.

But do you agree that it is possible if they right the wrongs of the past and play like expected going into the season?

A win over LSU is always good. But this game, IMHO, is more important because I think we need it to make-up for eggs laid in mid-week games past - and get on the right track.
    Maybe for psychological purposes, but from a résumé standpoint, I just don't see it. We'd have to rip off 20-6 the rest of the way probably, and even that is iffy because of the competition left on the schedule. Our record against top 25 RPI and 50 RPI is not good.

You know, we've had two teams in a row over come monumental odds to accomplish what they accomplished. I don't think people realize how unbelievable those things were, nor appreciate how rare it was. Not saying you, but it almost feels like people just "expect" these guys to flip a switch and cruise into a super regional.

I still think we can get an at large by winning the regular season title. I know we are in divisions now but if we get the best overall regular season record we can still claim a regular season title. We will need to finish strong and have Coastal slip a couple of times for that to happen.

What if we end up second in the Belt and lose in the conference tournament championship game? I think we get in still.

That is why I'm saying the mid-week games become important from here on out (they already were - but since we screwed the pooch on those already - we have ground to make up). EVEN if we win the regular season title and have an RPI around 70, if the Cajuns lose in the conference tournament - even the championship game - they are sitting at home in June. It has happened before. SBC RPI is relatively low this year. In fact, in d1baseball.com chat today, someone asked if the SBC could get UL, Coastal, and South Alabama in to the tournament. Their response was that the SBC is looking more like a one - bid league this year than a 3 bid league. I agree.

UL, Coastal, and South Al have work to do in the midweek (and in conference) or we will all be fighting for one bid - just like the year UL beat USA on Trosclair's grand slam and was sent to Houston. South Alabama WON the league outright that year (2015) and finished with an RPI of 78. They stayed home and watched the Cajuns go to Houston.

For winning the conference championship to guarantee at-large bid, the RPI has to be respectable - 40's or even better 30's.

Tomorrow's game is important! Cajuns need to start amassing WINS. midweek and weekends. Record vs. RPI Top 25 and 50 is also important factor and you know LSU will be there at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    What if we end up second in the Belt and lose in the conference tournament championship game? I think we get in still.
    One game at a time. We got a lot of things to figure out as a team bf we worry about fond tourney. They need to put blinders on and go pitch to pitch. inning to inning

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    One game at a time. We got a lot of things to figure out as a team bf we worry about fond tourney. They need to put blinders on and go pitch to pitch. inning to inning
    Of course, but my comment was on a future hypothetical situation where I can possibly see us getting into the NC2A by being the regular season and conference tournament runners up. Not being a part of the team enables me to look ahead like that.

Of course, but my comment was on a future hypothetical situation where I can possibly see us getting into the NC2A by being the regular season and conference tournament runners up. Not being a part of the team enables me to look ahead like that.
    Agree with you. As fans we can look ahead. Players put blinders on. We can look at big picture.

But I don't agree we are automatically in if we win regular season and are tournament runner's up. That exact scenario happend to South Alabama in 2015. They sat at home with a 78 RPI. We MUST get the RPI up by amassing wins - the only thing our team can control at this point.

Agree with you. As fans we can look ahead. Players put blinders on. We can look at big picture.

But I don't agree we are automatically in if we win regular season and are tournament runner's up. That exact scenario happend to South Alabama in 2015. They sat at home with a 78 RPI. We MUST get the RPI up by amassing wins - the only thing our team can control at this point.
    This was my hypothetical:

2nd place in the Belt regular season

2nd place in the Belt tournament

It's a stretch but I think we would get in.

This was my hypothetical:

2nd place in the Belt regular season

2nd place in the Belt tournament

It's a stretch but I think we would get in.
    In that scenario, it depends on the RPI. RPI 50 or worse, I think we sit at home.

We've got some RPI fixing to do, and it starts tomorrow night.

In that scenario, it depends on the RPI. RPI 50 or worse, I think we sit at home.

We've got some RPI fixing to do, and it starts tomorrow night.
    Agreed.I think tomorrow night is very important.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information