Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18

Thread: G2: Louisiana v. Coastal Carolina (Saturday)

1. Default Re: G2: Louisiana v. Coastal Carolina (Saturday)

We're gunna find out a lot about our young lefty today as well.

Default Re: G2: Louisiana v. Coastal Carolina (Saturday)

I have no problem with DMo closing. Ever. I have a problem with the way our All American closer pitched in the last inning of maybe the most important game of the season.

I went back and watched that last inning. No doubt that the game changed on the strike-out that ended up on first. Should have been 2 outs with only the tying run on 2nd. Big difference between that and what was runners on the corners with one out. That is where D-MO lost his edge. Monica usually handles that 3rd strike - it was high and outside to the lefty.

But - regardless - flush it and move on.

If anyone cares to go back and look at any inning where multiple runs were given up, you will see that walks and/or hit batsman were involved. Our team batting against is in the low .200's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I may agree with you if we had a one run lead, but with 3 I think it was the right call. And we weren't Trying to save just Wyatt for Sunday. We were playing to have both DMO and Wyatt available for Sunday. You have to trust your closer in that situation
    My only concern is Dylan has almost a 6 ERA this year because he's struggling off speed and this is a fastball hitting team. Wyatt dominated them in his two appearances. I don't care about Sunday on Saturday. We needed to first win Saturday, and if we lose Sunday I don't care until Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    My only concern is Dylan has almost a 6 ERA this year
    Where does this stuff come from? He had a 2.18 era before yesterday and is now at 3.86.

My only concern is Dylan has almost a 6 ERA this year because he's struggling off speed and this is a fastball hitting team. Wyatt dominated them in his two appearances. I don't care about Sunday on Saturday. We needed to first win Saturday, and if we lose Sunday I don't care until Sunday.
    2.6 era? Man, I know delusions run rampant on this board, but now we're even diluting stats to fit our crazy narratives?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Where does this stuff come from? He had a 2.18 era before yesterday and is now at 3.86.
    FAKE NEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by campo118 View Post
    2.6 era? Man, I know delusions run rampant on this board, but now we're even diluting stats to fit our crazy narratives?
    Sorry, was told by someone at the game that number. I guess when you have a sub 1 era last year everything looks much larger.

Sorry, was told by someone at the game that number. I guess when you have a sub 1 era last year everything looks much larger.
    It's not just the ERA going up that makes a difference. The biggest thing that stands out are the walks. He's falling behind batters at a high rate. He's given up 16 walks this year in 21.0 innings. That ties his career single season high. He gave up 16 as a freshman in 50.2 IP and 15 as a soph in 49.2 IP. So he's walking guys at double the rate as before.

He is still striking guys out at a better clip than any season which is helping to offset the walks somewhat

Only once last year did we lose a game that he had the lead in (Texas Tech game and that was more on the error.) This year we've lost 3 games that we've led with him on the bump at the time. SLU wasn't a blown save because he came in before we were ahead, but he gave up the lead in that one. La Tech and Coastal were blown saves.

In all likelihood he is having a season closer to his freshman campaign than his amazing sophomore year but the walks are the most concerning part for me.

2015 - 50.2 IP, 40 K, 16 BB, 13 R, 9 ER
    2016 - 49.2 IP, 59 K, 15 BB, 7 R, 5 ER
    2017 - 21.0 IP, 34 K, 16 BB, 9 R, 9 ER

11. Default Re: G2: Louisiana v. Coastal Carolina (Saturday)

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Because you are trying to win both games and sweep (keeping Marks and Moore available for Sunday, if Moore can close it out with a reasonable 9th inning pitch count). Not that it is the choice I would have made (for several reasons) . but I understand it. It is a calculated risk with the good guys up by three entering the B9th.

Look, I wanted to see Marks pitch the 9th inning today. Heck, I wanted Marks to relieve Lee in the 5th and take it as far as he could . finish the game if he could . and notch the second win of the series. Then have Moore, Huval, Guillory, etc. for tomorrow. But I certainly understand the decision and in no way should anyone be surprised. This is how bullpens are typically used. I also admit that I am a bit of a contrarian in that regard (my take on how bullpens are optimally used . especially in college . is a little different than the norm). Not dissimilar to how I think teams should assemble their schedules. :-)

Taking it a step further . last night I was hoping Marks would close and finish the 9th . leaving Moore for Saturday . allowing Marks to come back Sunday. My philosophy is that your relievers are fresher with that kind of strategy . they are not warming in the pen each day . and get a day of rest in between. But we certainly understand why Robe brought Moore on in the 9th last night . and it worked. I do believe that pitches thrown the day before can certainly have an effect on command, control, and the general filthiness of the "stuff". Hence my philosophy on rest. Of course, all pitchers are different and the practice of such a philosophy should/can be adjusted (somewhat) accordingly.

Brian
    Might we be seeing a change in how Marks and Moore will be used? I think it would be a good thing. Marks' stuff and command drops off when we stretch him with back to back outings . as is the case with Moore. I like letting one of the pitchers close with multiple innings on Day 1 and 3 . and one of the pitchers on Day 2.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Might we be seeing a change in how Marks and Moore will be used? I think it would be a good thing. Marks' stuff and command drops off when we stretch him with back to back outings . as is the case with Moore. I like letting one of the pitchers close with multiple innings on Day 1 and 3 . and one of the pitchers on Day 2.

Brian
    "Like"

I like that idea also!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18

Thread Information