Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Epic Rant From Robe

Default Epic Rant From Robe

This is good. Robe's presser yesterday. Goes off on travel ball around the 12:00 mark.

https://youtu.be/4zWTX7I8aHI

Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

I wouldn't blame travel ball as a whole. I guess I was blessed to play on a select team where you put the team first and parents were parents, and nothing else. We didn't make the grades in school, we didn't play. Someone was better than us, that someone played over us. You decided to act the _____ on or off the field, you sat the bench and cheered for your team. Travel ball is a great experience and a great thing for kids to get them ready for the next level (high school).if you can find a team like I mentioned above. Find a coach that knows baseball and won't put up with any of that "travel ball" bs.

That was flipping awesome!

4. Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

Monica mash

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    I wouldn't blame travel ball as a whole. I guess I was blessed to play on a select team where you put the team first and parents were parents, and nothing else. We didn't make the grades in school, we didn't play. Someone was better than us, that someone played over us. You decided to act the _____ on or off the field, you sat the bench and cheered for your team. Travel ball is a great experience and a great thing for kids to get them ready for the next level (high school).if you can find a team like I mentioned above. Find a coach that knows baseball and won't put up with any of that "travel ball" bs.
    I agree and Robe said "The playing part is fine." The extracurricular daddyball drama and such can a distraction. There are plenty of quality scout team programs that provide exposure and experience "playing up" against the best high school players in the country, without drama.

There are some clown shows out there. It is easy to tell the difference, though.

Little Bicky played travel ball last year and Robes son and twin brother were his coaches. I thought it was a very good experience for Junior.

Spot on. I'm sure this team gotten that rant already.

The refiners coach called out the system a year or so ago. Had players TELLING him what position they WERE playing.

Sitting a kid on the bench all year seems like a great way to get that kid to lose interest in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Sitting a kid on the bench all year seems like a great way to get that kid to lose interest in baseball.
    Sounds like the kid needs to get off the ipad and get in the yard and practice.

That's the problem. Too many levels and organizations with "travel ball" or "all star" teams. Everyone gets trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by weareLOUISIANA View Post
    Sounds like the kid needs to get off the ipad and get in the yard and practice.
    And you think sitting that kid on the bench is the best way to motivate him to pick baseball over his iPad?

And you think sitting that kid on the bench is the best way to motivate him to pick baseball over his iPad?
    No, but you obviously think he deserves to play by just walking into the dugout. Of course he's going to choose the ipad, its easy and he controls his "playing time".baseball must be a little too much work to earn his spot. The new America, everybodys a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    That's the problem. Too many levels and organizations with "travel ball" or "all star" teams. Everyone gets trophies.
    Participation trophies and parents carrying bat bags. If you see that run the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by weareLOUISIANA View Post
    No, but you obviously think he deserves to play by just walking into the dugout. Of course he's going to choose the ipad, its easy and he controls his "playing time".baseball must be a little too much work to earn his spot. The new America, everybodys a winner!
    I don't even know what to say to this. It's like you're throwing out all these cliché phrases without thinking about what you're actually saying. Who ever called that kid a winner?

If a KID shows up to play ball you're damn right I think he should get to play ball. Why the hell would you not play him?

My obligation as a coach at the youth level is to make sure I'm doing everything I can to teach, motivate, and develop the skills of every kid on the team. not just the good ones. Every. Single. Kid. If your actions as a coach demoralize a kid or make him lose interest in playing the game you are a terrible coach.

Years back there was a select soccer team (based out of Lafayette High mostly) that was very good. If they didn't win a tournament, whatever hardware they received was destroyed the next practice.

Wouldn't happen today.

When our kids traveled for soccer, one played on a team that even the pool was off limits. Our other child played for a team where swimming was permitted and the evenings were laid back. Which one was more successful, just listen to Robe. There's the answer.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information