Thread: NIT

Default NIT

I seem to recall a few years back some on here talking about the NIT, and the sentiment was that the NIT was (at the time) going to be more of a P-5 tourney, and only way for non-P-5 to be in, was if they win regular season conf, but then lose tourney.

was that a formal proposal and if so did it take affect?

Default Re: NIT

All conference regular season champs that do not make the NCAA Tourney are automatically in the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    I seem to recall a few years back some on here talking about the NIT, and the sentiment was that the NIT was (at the time) going to be more of a P-5 tourney, and only way for non-P-5 to be in, was if they win regular season conf, but then lose tourney.

was that a formal proposal and if so did it take affect?
    That policy has been in effect for a few years now. That is how UTA was invited to the NIT this year. In today's world, the only way a Sun Belt team goes to the NCAA tourney is to win the conference tournament. The only way a Sun Belt team goes to the NIT is to win the regular season and lose in the conference tournament. That is true for the Southland Conference, SWAC, Mid Atlantic, etc. That is why tournaments like the CIT were created. Suppose you have a 24 and 7 regular season record, 14 and 4 league record which gets you a No. 2 seed in the conference tournament, and lose in the conference tournament finals. That type of season will end up in no better than a CIT bid. Probably the same situation if you were in CUSA.

thank you.

seems like it is NIT's loss, as seems that P-5 teams are struggling in that tourney. last year none in final four, this year and 2015 2-2 split

And UTA loses last night allowing CSU Bakersfield to make the trip to the Big Apple.

Congrats to UTA on their 2 wins in the tournament.

Cal State Bakersfield hasn't been Division I very long.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    All conference regular season champs that do not make the NCAA Tourney are automatically in the NIT.
    understood. seems like they need to be open to more non-p5 at-large teams or they would some years be unable to fill out the tourney. as an example are p-5 teams with losing records allowed in over a 26 win second place sunbelt team In that scenario? must not be an official rule, although it would not surprise me seeing what network the games were on.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    And UTA loses last night allowing CSU Bakersfield to make the trip to the Big Apple.

Congrats to UTA on their 2 wins in the tournament.
    that's a long trip, beep-beep

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    Cal State Bakersfield hasn't been Division I very long.
    My company has an office in Bakersfield. It is an oil field town in California that has done well through the downturn. Lots of money in that town. Not surprised they are doing well. UTA is a hard team to figure out. Once they beat BYU on the road (Note BYU is only team to defeat Gonzaga this year), I figured they had a good shot to get to NY. Surprised they stubbed their toe. One thing about basketball is a bad shooting night can strike at any time to derail plans for any team.

Thread Information