Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    No joke.

Averaging 24 wins over 7 years would create a lot of cheerleaders.

Keep in mind his 18 win average includes the the recovery years of taking over a program in the doldrums, where the inmates were running the asylum.

18 also includes the survival of a mutiny reboot years.

Averaging 18 wins through all that over just 7 seasons is rather impressive.

jmo
    With the amount of money we pour into our programs, winning 70% of the games should be the standard.

A 55% winning percentage isn't good enough. How can folks not figure this out? It's year 7, not year 3.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    With the amount of money we pour into our programs, winning 70% of the games should be the standard.

A 55% winning percentage isn't good enough. How can folks not figure this out? It's year 7, not year 3.
    Agree 100%, especially with the quality of opponents we face.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

True it is year 7 not year 3, but some seem to be lumping year 1-2-3 into their assessment (win totals) as if he took over a healthy program.

4. Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

I think the truth with Marlin and our program is somewhere in the middle.

After 7 years, are the results good enough? No.

Does Marlin provide a plethora of good things for our program? Yes.

Does he recruit well enough? IDK

Is the scheduling an issue? YES.

Is scheduling the fault of the staff? IDK, but inwould tend to think not 100%.

Is money an issue? In 2016 it seems it wasn't but Tony took a team to Omaha with no money and hudspeth had his best team with half the support he does now. Money doesn't always equate to winning.

Do the players like playing for this staff? Yes.

Do we have character guys? Yes.

Should we be top 3 in the league every year? The more I think about this, the more I think that it's a reasonable assertion.

5. UL Basketball Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think the truth with Marlin and our program is somewhere in the middle.

After 7 years, are the results good enough? No.

Does Marlin provide a plethora of good things for our program? Yes.

Does he recruit well enough? IDK

Is the scheduling an issue? YES.

Is scheduling the fault of the staff? IDK, but inwould tend to think not 100%.

Is money an issue? In 2016 it seems it wasn't but Tony took a team to Omaha with no money and hudspeth had his best team with half the support he does now. Money doesn't always equate to winning.

Do the players like playing for this staff? Yes.

Do we have character guys? Yes.

Should we be top 3 in the league every year? The more I think about this, the more I think that it's a reasonable assertion.
    Nobody should be top three every year. That's an unfair goal.

Should he be in the top three fifty, sixty, or seventy percent of the time? Yes, I don't think that's an unreasonable goal for a head coach if our goal is to be more than a participant in the big picture.

Do I think he should win the regular season championship a couple times in a decade. Yes.

We're not even finishing in the top third on average even when you toss out his honeymoon years and mutiny teams which overlapped.

If everyone is fine with a mediocre product in at best mediocre conference just say so.

More money is always helpful, but Bob isn't doing without vs his SBC peers. How many mulligans before we acknowledge his limitations and our acceptance of those? Being pretty good is okay because it's a lot more likely you could be a lot worse than a lot better. It's just not the American way.

Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

Georgia State has been in the Sun Belt 4 years. They have been top 3 in 3 of those years, regular season champs twice and tournament champs once.

Georgia Southern has finished in the top 3 in 2 of its 3 years in the SBC.

ULM has finished 2nd twice in the last 3 years. [Admittedly they have been horrible otherwise] We have not finished that high in over 10 years.

I certainly do not think it is unreasonable to expect us to be at least as good as those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragincajun07 View Post
    Agree 100%, especially with the quality of opponents we face.
    It's not about the quality of the opponents for me. I would love to see us play better OOC teams, but you have to win the games on your schedule. I do not want to see non D1 teams period.

A 70% winning percentage is what we should establish as the standard. If you are plus or minus 3% that's acceptable. But a 55% average over 7 years with 1 NCAA appearance is not.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Georgia State has been in the Sun Belt 4 years. They have been top 3 in 3 of those years, regular season champs twice and tournament champs once.
    Maybe if Marlins kid was better we could have been better as a team?

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Maybe if Marlins kid was better we could have been better as a team?
    I know that was tongue in cheek, but Hunter was second this year without his kid.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I know that was tongue in cheek, but Hunter was second this year without his kid.
    I get it and I'm generally indifferent as far as this argument goes. With the new AD in, I expect things to change. Who knows what it will be but I'm not going to worry about it. Thats Maggard's call...not mine.

To my red dotter...

Dan would not be a coward for flipping. It's called job security. Go ahead and think how noble it would be if Dan (or anyone) would pracitice what he preached and LOST at a P5 to ISU afer being called out. Fans would be calling for his head on a platter.

Sitting in a different chair and making seriously more coin will make anyone toe the company line.

12. Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

SEC and Big 10 schools can afford to pass on post season resumes' appearances.

Their media guides could care less about "consecutive post season appearances."

I don't think passing on post season should ever be a viable option.

I get why certain players wouldn't participate, but the other 25 players might surprise.

We will never know.

jmo

SEC and Big 10 schools can afford to pass on post season resumes' appearances.

Their media guides could care less about "consecutive post season appearances."

I don't think passing on post season should ever be a viable option.

I get why certain players wouldn't participate, but the other 25 players might surprise.

We will never know.

jmo
    Post season earned and post season paid are very different...... As a business I could pay for an untold number of awards and accolades. The ones I need to earn are much more difficult.

14. Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Post season earned and post season paid are very different...... As a business I could pay for an untold number of awards and accolades. The ones I need to earn are much more difficult.
    Advertising paid and advertising earned are different.

Any kind of advertisings will help recruits attach to your brand.

15. Default

Advertising paid and advertising earned are different.

Any kind of advertisings will help recruits attach to your brand.
    100% false

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information