Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UL Coaching Feelers

Default UL Coaching Feelers

I recently heard from a buddy of mine in Crowley that UL has been talking with Louis Cook aabout possibly being the future head football coch. Anybody know if there is any validity to this? Seams like it would be a step back for the program, with all do respect to Coach Cook.

Default Re: UL Coaching Feelers

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    _ I recently heard from a buddy of mine in Crowley that UL has been talking with Louis Cook aabout possibly being the future head football coch. Anybody know if there is any validity to this? Seams like it would be a step back for the program, with all do respect to Coach Cook. _

You are probably hearing something along the lines of what apparently happened with the Orgeron deal. There were third party folks, apparently some boosters, who were in contact with Orgeron and possibly Cook to maybe gauge interest in a coaching spot. These people are not acting on behalf of the administration but nonetheless, I think they have a clue what is going on. I, too, believe this would be a step back and would not choose this route if it were true. That is my best guess. However, there were quite a few people being talked to.

_ I recently heard from a buddy of mine in Crowley that UL has been talking with Louis Cook aabout possibly being the future head football coch. Anybody know if there is any validity to this? Seams like it would be a step back for the program, with all do respect to Coach Cook. _
    He should have been the coach instead of Baldwin. If he had, we would have been to, and won more than one bowl game by now.

It would be a step back, a big time step back. Louis Cook has been out of the collegiate coaching ranks for a long time and the game has changed. Whoever gave you this tidbit of information is feeding you some crap.

First of all Ricky Bustle is not on the hot seat as per his new contract, and 2nd we would not look to the high school ranks for a HC for football. What kind of statement would that make IF we even would have a position opening, which WE DO NOT?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ He should have been the coach instead of Baldwin. If he had, we would have been to, and won more than one bowl game by now. _
    I do think he would have done a better job than Baldwin, but a pig with wings could have done better than Baldwin.

I do not think Louis Cook would do any better, probably worse, than Todd Dodge at UNT. Dodge had much better credentials than Louis Cook has. But look where that is getting UNT.

By the way, WE HAVE NO OPENING! Some people on this board need to get a grip! Ricky Bustle has led the Cajuns to one of its most successful periods in our history, yet people are anxious to get rid of him. Some of you guys are starting to sound a lot like the guys 50 miles to the east. Looking for a replacement coach when we do not have an opening. Jesus, we just had one of our better recruiting classes and some people are already talking about firing Bustle WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ I do think he would have done a better job than Baldwin, but a pig with wings could have done better than Baldwin.

I do not think Louis Cook would do any better, probably worse, than Todd Dodge at UNT. Dodge had much better credentials than Louis Cook has. But look where that is getting UNT.

By the way, WE HAVE NO OPENING! Some people on this board need to get a grip! Ricky Bustle has led the Cajuns to one of its most successful periods in our history, yet people are anxious to get rid of him. Some of you guys are starting to sound a lot like the guys 50 miles to the east. Looking for a replacement coach when we do not have an opening. Jesus, we just had one of our better recruiting classes and some people are already talking about firing Bustle WOW! _
    I understand your points. However, Cook was the OC during the Delhomme years and was responsible for the offensive success that we had. This made him much more qualified than Dodge at UNT because Dodge had zero college coaching experience when hired, unlike Cook.

_ I understand your points. However, Cook was the OC during the Delhomme years and was responsible for the offensive success that we had. This made him much more qualified than Dodge at UNT because Dodge had zero college coaching experience when hired, unlike Cook. _
    Wrong, he coached at UNT as an assistant prior to taking the HC job at Southlake Carrol.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

The extension was for show. Make no mistake, he's on the hotseat.

It would be a step back, a big time step back. Louis Cook has been out of the collegiate coaching ranks for a long time and the game has changed. Whoever gave you this tidbit of information is feeding you some crap.

First of all Ricky Bustle is not on the hot seat as per his new contract, and 2nd we would not look to the high school ranks for a HC for football. What kind of statement would that make IF we even would have a position opening, which WE DO NOT?
    igeaux.mobi

_ I do think he would have done a better job than Baldwin, but a pig with wings could have done better than Baldwin.

By the way, WE HAVE NO OPENING! Some people on this board need to get a grip! Ricky Bustle has led the Cajuns to one of its most successful periods in our history, yet people are anxious to get rid of him. Some of you guys are starting to sound a lot like the guys 50 miles to the east. Looking for a replacement coach when we do not have an opening. Jesus, we just had one of our better recruiting classes and some people are already talking about firing Bustle WOW! _

Agreed. However Bustle is also becoming a victim of his own "success". I say that because its not like we're winning the conference or anything but he has made it an uneasy feeling to consistently go 6-6. I agree that Bustle has transformed this program but it is getting to the point where he will and should be asked to raise the bar and get that 7th win. I'm not against the retention of Bustle however, I would get very excited at the prospects of bringing in a quality coach who would undoubtedbly give this program a shot in the arm. If you have no plans and no quality prospects for future hiring, its not worth the thought of getting rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Agreed. However Bustle is also becoming a victim of his own "success". I say that because its not like we're winning the conference or anything but he has made it an uneasy feeling to consistently go 6-6. I agree that Bustle has transformed this program but it is getting to the point where he will and should be asked to raise the bar and get that 7th win. I'm not against the retention of Bustle however, I would get very excited at the prospects of bringing in a quality coach who would undoubtedbly give this program a shot in the arm. If you have no plans and no quality prospects for future hiring, its not worth the thought of getting rid of him. _
    I agree, but my point is that we do not have an opening and we are a complete off-season/spring/fall drills and actual season away from even thinking about a new coach. Personally I want to see Bustle stay and raise the bar even higher. He has turned this program into a respectable program compared to the joke that we were from '97-04.

If and I say if we are in search of a new coach Louis Cook should not even be on the list period. What kind of message would that send? Yes, he is a local high school coaching legend and he was the OC while Jake was here, but that does not even come close to qualifying him for a D1 HC gig. We are no longer a laughing stock program but if we hire a HC from a high school program we would be.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ The extension was for show. Make no mistake, he's on the hotseat.

igeaux.mobi _
    I know what the extension was, don't think I am foolish, Bustle is out of excuses and the 2009 season should have been the one to get us into a bowl game. With that being said I am very confident that we will be in position to go bowling next year.

With the exception of the Georgia game, our OCG are winnable. Ole Miss doesn't have McCluster or Sneed, Okie St. is minus Zac Robinson and Dez Bryant. Ohio had a good year, but it will be an evenly matched game. Sunbelt play is always competitive and Middle should be the favorite, but everyone else is beatable including Troy. So IMO we will be bowling next season.

_ Wrong, he coached at UNT as an assistant prior to taking the HC job at Southlake Carrol. _
    I stand corrected, Dodge was an offensive assistant for two years (wow, big deal). Cook RAN the offense.

_ I stand corrected, Dodge was an offensive assistant for two years (wow, big deal). Cook RAN the offense. _
    So what is your point? Cook ran the offense with an eventual Pro Bowl QB, was he successful without Jake? I don't think so. Everyone loves Louis Cook, hell even I do, but he is not the answer and never will be. Everyone needs to get over this local legend BS when it comes to coaches. We are not a high school, hiring a HS coach would do absolutely nothing for us in recruiting or on the field success.

_ So what is your point? Cook ran the offense with an eventual Pro Bowl QB, was he successful without Jake? I don't think so. Everyone loves Louis Cook, hell even I do, but he is not the answer and never will be. Everyone needs to get over this local legend BS when it comes to coaches. We are not a high school, hiring a HS coach would do absolutely nothing for us in recruiting or on the field success. _
    I don't know if Cook is the answer NOW. He would have been the answer after Stokley was let go had it not been for The Curse. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

_ I know what the extension was, don't think I am foolish, Bustle is out of excuses and the 2009 season should have been the one to get us into a bowl game. With that being said I am very confident that we will be in position to go bowling next year.

With the exception of the Georgia game, our OCG are winnable. Ole Miss doesn't have McCluster or Sneed, Okie St. is minus Zac Robinson and Dez Bryant. Ohio had a good year, but it will be an evenly matched game. Sunbelt play is always competitive and Middle should be the favorite, but everyone else is beatable including Troy. So IMO we will be bowling next season. _
    I thought Sneed was coming back for Ole Miss? What happened, did he declare for the draft?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information