Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

1. UL Basketball Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Marty had losing seasons two of his last three years. That is why he was replaced. Losing Butch Pierre as his recruiter pretty much signaled the end of his tenure. With a strong finish this year I suspect we will have five consecutive D1 winning seasons after next year. Coach Marlin has finished third once since we left divisional play and lower than fourth only once. I understand some view that as mediocre as we should be in the Top 3 more consistently. However, I am not sure how that relates to a possible change. I think a losing season overall or in conference will have to occur next season for a change to be seriously considered. As far as the conference is concerned, the SBC is not low level this year. Last time I looked it is 12th out of over 30 leagues. Granted that is the best it has been in years. It is also one of the few mid major leagues to have it's champion win a game two consecutive years in the NCAA tourney. I understand that some will say anything out of the Top 10 indicates you are in a lower level league.
    Not saying Marty's dismissal was wrong, only that he was never given the latitude of Marlin and he had much greater wins, and much better conference results.

Also I am absolutely saying if you are consistently not in the top three you are mediocre.

Not expecting Marlin to be fired, though he should be. I am a voice of reality about how bad he really is. I'm ready to say it now, he will not finish in the top three next year, but anything is possible for three games in March. So all the fans can save their emotions, and enjoyment for a three game run this March or next.

Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Not saying Marty's dismissal was wrong, only that he was never given the latitude of Marlin and he had much greater wins, and much better conference results.

Also I am absolutely saying if you are consistently not in the top three you are mediocre.

Not expecting Marlin to be fired, though he should be. I am a voice of reality about how bad he really is. I'm ready to say it now, he will not finish in the top three next year, but anything is possible for three games in March. So all the fans can save their emotions, and enjoyment for a three game run this March or next.
    Not being in the Top 3 next year would be disappointing. That includes the coaching staff as they definitely expect to achieve that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Cal State Fullerton is #8 and Coastal is #15 in BA, but I get your point. There is a lot more parity in the "non-rev." sports. Augusta State College was NCAA champ in golf 2011 and 2012.
    That may have something to do with the ghost of Bobby Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    He's been mediocre his entire tenure.
    Mediocre? I can't get on board that. He may not be dominating but he isn't mediocre. I pulled our 06/07 season and we were 9-21 as a team. but we did beat Tech. That to me is a mediocre season.

Most of you people make no senseif it was a $$$$ thing then how did the almighty Robe go to Omaha 17 years ago and hasn't smelled it since when people are throwing $$$$ at him left and right and under the table.seems to me then he is underachieving on a yearly basis.there is a reason he wasn't considered for the 2 big jobs that came open last season at Texas and Alabama this fall.those people know what is going on here and soon we all will after Big Brother NCAA caomes to town!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Mediocre? I can't get on board that. He may not be dominating but he isn't mediocre. I pulled our 06/07 season and we were 9-21 as a team. but we did beat Tech. That to me is a mediocre season.
    No, that is a BAD season. Mediocre is going 17-14 against a schedule that includes 12 games against the little sisters of the poor and the downtown boys club, which is pretty much what Marlin has done every year.

7. UL Basketball Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    9/21 is a disastrous season. Not even beating LTUR is enough lipstick to make that pig acceptable. Just unbelievable how low your bar is.

Oh, wait! You're playing me. Good one. 😂😂😂

Express you are 100% correct. No matter how talented or how weak we seem to be Marlin led teams are mediocre.

But it seems that mediocre is good enough. If you are not winning 75% of you basketball games against D1 competition on a 4 year average you should be let go.

That goes for Hudspeth, Marlin and Broadhead.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Express you are 100% correct. No matter how talented or how weak we seem to be Marlin led teams are mediocre.

But it seems that mediocre is good enough. If you are not winning 75% of you basketball games against D1 competition on a 4 year average you should be let go.

That goes for Hudspeth, Marlin and Broadhead.
    I think your number is a little high. Last year there were 29 teams out of 351 that had a 75% winning percentage. I don't think those numbers are going to be vastly different year to year.

10. Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I think your number is a little high. Last year there were 29 teams out of 351 that had a 75% winning percentage. I don't think those numbers are going to be vastly different year to year.
    He's got high expectations and we play in the SBC. Marlin always plays as many non division one games as money games so he should always start at better than 50%. High expectations for non money games 80%.

Marlin history about 67%. Anywhere between 70% And 72% is top notch coaching. We're happy with mediocre vs top notch but not quite great coaching.

UL Basketball Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Out of conference this year we played 5 D1 teams with RPI of 200 or worse. UTA played 2. App. played 3, stAte played 4, and the Georgia schools both played less than we did.

I am not happy with our record, and even less so considering our schedule.

Including conference games, 11 of our D1 wins are against 200+ RPI teams. We are 3-10 against D1 teams with RPI better than 200. That is not acceptable.

12. Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Out of conference this year we played 5 D1 teams with RPI of 200 or worse. UTA played 2. App. played 3, stAte played 4, and the Georgia schools both played less than we did.

I am not happy with our record, and even less so considering our schedule.
    To be fair JMU and Pepperdine are usually a lot better. But we still lost to Montana State.

So Cajun____Stick and Cajun_____, since you are found of calling people names, who's paying for all of these coaching firings, you never answer that questions but we know it won't be the _______s on here calling for someone's firing.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    So Cajun____Stick and Cajun_____, since you are found of calling people names, who's paying for all of these coaching firings, you never answer that questions but we know it won't be the _______s on here calling for someone's firing.
    To be fair, Express has stated he knows Marlin won't be fired but it is his opinion that he should be. Every one is entitled to that. At least he is still supporting the team by attending games. The buyout may not be part of his thinking. If it is, his view likely is that we will bring more revenue in with a change than we have to pay in the buyout. I am not sure I agree with that simply due that there are still lots of people who do not post here which expected this to be a rebuilding year. Also, it is easy to say it costs more to change than retain. That ignores the fact that you have to find someone to write the check which will exceed a half million. I don't think there is anyone around willing to do that or even a group of people for this coach at this time. Football may be a different story in 2017. A third straight losing season is staring at us in the face and basketball does not have the off field problems football appears to have. MetryCajun had a point the other day that it is a real possibility we will change football coaches. If we do that, it will be very difficult to change the basketball staff as well, especially since there is a good chance basketball will post it's fifth straight winning season in 2017-2018. If we are struggling in conference next year like we are now, it may be considered. Personally, I expect we will be improved next season. The opinions people post here are not necessarily how the administration views things.

Mike I don't want to hear be fair to Cajun____stick. There is nothing that he has posted on here that has been fair except to him and his little but buddies. Most people are tired of the crap he post on here. This was a baseball thread that he drug Marlin into, so I do not give a crap if I hurt Timmy Little Dick feelings.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information