Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

1. UL Baseball Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

What I'm saying is money is indeed important, but more important is the leaders, aka head coaches.

Marlin would not be successful with more money, he isn't successful with his peers on a similar budget. As czar after I give him that money I'd expect multiple sweet sixteens, and better.

If I gave Robe and Lotief more money they'd blow it out the water as they have for decades. What I originally asked for is where specifically does Jay want our program to spend more money?

2. Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm the czar of basketball at UL, and I just raised Marlin's salary to three million a year, his assistants to the highest paid in the NCAA. I'm giving him six million a year to buy high RPI games in the CajunDome. Wrote a check for twenty million to build him a replica practice facility so we can get an eye to simulate the CajunDome shooting perspectives. Oh, yeah, charter him a jet so that he is not stranded in Christmas week at an airport in Memphis, Atlanta, or Houston. Oh, yes, just bought him a national tv deal.

Is he any better?

3. Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

I am the head of UL sports and I call in coach Robe and telling him I am cutting his budget and giving more to basketball because they have beaten LTUR in recent times more than baseball hasthe baseball budget at UL has a much better advantage than the basketball doesthey have the huge budget difference advantage and are not doing better,,,,,,,,,,,,yea I am kidding but I think all can see the unreal number of variables that go into athletics and how one can use all kind of stats to twist things!!!

Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Honestly, I only want to spend money where there's vision.

Softball and baseball are chasing National Championships.

Why can't basektball do the same?

I recognize that a Natty in football isn't within the cards, but a regular NY6 appearance is, and that should be the aim. Not as a pipe dream, but as something that's realistically achievable with the right approach and culture.

Any of you doubt our baseball team has a legitimate shot at the National Championship this year? Any of you can say softball has no chance of OKC?

THAT'S the attitude I'm talking about.

We're small time in the others because we think like a small time program, and that's a coaching problem. We lack vision.

I want to be the National Freaking Champion. So if I fall short and reach a few Sweet 16's and Elite 8's and a Final Four or two? I can live with that.

We're not even seeing that in our program's vision.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Honestly, I only want to spend money where there's vision.

Softball and baseball are chasing National Championships.

Why can't basektball do the same?

I recognize that a Natty in football isn't within the cards, but a regular NY6 appearance is, and that should be the aim. Not as a pipe dream, but as something that's realistically achievable with the right approach and culture.

Any of you doubt our baseball team has a legitimate shot at the National Championship this year? Any of you can say softball has no chance of OKC?

THAT'S the attitude I'm talking about.

We're small time in the others because we think like a small time program, and that's a coaching problem. We lack vision.

I want to be the National Freaking Champion. So if I fall short and reach a few Sweet 16's and Elite 8's and a Final Four or two? I can live with that.

We're not even seeing that in our program's vision.
    Sorry but that statement became untrue when we hired the new A.D. I am positive we now have vision.

If you add all the free housing and meals the usl players are getting their budget is way above what they have acomplished.has it really been 17 seasons since cajuns have been to Omaha.most coaches with all that tony has been been given, including the russo funny $$$$, would be fired by nowthese is a reason tony hasn't been called for a big time job like the Bama one that opened or Texasthey know he can't get away with his antics on the big stage.rumor has it the NCAA is coming to town this year.keep putting your heads in the sand and ignoring the fact that tony is just another usl cheating coach like HUD and the former basketball coach that got the program the death penalty but you built a statue to that clown

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Sorry but that statement became untrue when we hired the new A.D. I am positive we now have vision.
    We all hope that to be true. I'm not debating that having the right vision is the first step toward progress. But to place clearing all of our obstacles under purely improving our vision. is loading up Dr. Maggard with expectations beyond a mortal man. My guess is that you believe that Dr. Maggard won't put up with what we've had for the past umpteen years with men's basketball. But the reality is that we are facing major decisions in our two most expensive sports. at the same time. I could make a much bigger case that we must diagnose and cure football first. And we probably cannot diagnose and cure both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We all hope that to be true. I'm not debating that having the right vision is the first step toward progress. But to place clearing all of our obstacles under purely improving our vision. is loading up Dr. Maggard with expectations beyond a mortal man. My guess is that you believe that Dr. Maggard won't put up with what we've had for the past umpteen years with men's basketball. But the reality is that we are facing major decisions in our two most expensive sports. at the same time. I could make a much bigger case that we must diagnose and cure football first. And we probably cannot diagnose and cure both at the same time.
    After discussions with a few different people and listening to Tony discuss the process used I have no doubt that we have finally shaken off the "small time" vision. Maggard is part of it but so is T-Joe.

Beyond that who knows but it won't be because people at the top have a small time vision of what we are capable of accomplishing.

UL Basketball Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Marlin would not be successful with more money, he isn't successful with his peers on a similar budget.
    Once again facts to not meet your reality.
    The last 3 years with current teams in the league.
    2014-17 overall record
    Team W L
    UTA 60 32
    Louisiana 57 40
    GSU 57 34
    UALR 56 37
    GS 53 36
    ULM 51 48
    TXST 44 43
    stAte 41 46
    USA 39 53
    Troy 34 53
    APP 29 56

Conference 2014-17
    Team W L
    GSU 34 20
    GS 34 20
    UTA 33 20
    Louisiana 31 23
    ULM 30 24
    TXST 23 30
    stAte 23 31
    USA 23 30
    UALR 20 34
    APP 19 35
    Troy 16 37

Overall 2013-17 with teams in the league
    Team W L
    GSU 82 43
    Louisiana 80 52
    UTA 75 49
    UALR 71 54
    ULM 61 65
    stAte 60 59
    TXST 52 66
    USA 50 73
    Troy 45 73

2013-17 Conference only
    Team W L
    GSU 51 21
    Louisiana 42 30
    UTA 42 29
    ULM 37 35
    stAte 33 39
    UALR 29 43
    USA 28 43
    TXST 27 44
    Troy 22 49

The teams that have been in the league the whole time Coach Marlin has been here.
    Team W L
    Louisiana 123 103
    UALR 122 102
    stAte 110 106
    USA 96 113
    ULM 75 138
    Troy 75 133

Conference only games
    Team W L
    Louisiana 71 53
    stAte 62 62
    UALR 59 65
    USA 56 67
    ULM 44 80
    Troy 39 84

Please tell me how "he isn't successful with his peers on a similar budget"? Similar budgets and similar schedules.

That does not mean I do not think we should be playing better or winning more, but your comments do not fit the facts.

10. Default Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure he's only been in top three of conferences play once. If you're not dominating and top three you're competing, but mediocre. He's been mediocre his entire tenure.

Great so again you grab an arbitrary number that fits your agenda. Again I am not saying these are acceptable finishes.
    2010-11 First in West, 2nd overall beset record
    2011-12 3rd in West, 4th overall best record
    2012-13 3rd in West, 8th overall best record
    2013-14 3rd best record
    2014-15 4th best record
    2015-16 4th best record
    So once in those years finished outside of the top 4 and we will again this year. Again not sure how he is not successful up against his "peers" which was what I was responding to. But by all means keep a moving target until it fits your agenda.

12. UL Basketball Re: Great Expectations – From the Bird's Nest

Not a moving target at all. Finish in top three or you're mediocre. I'll give you three years to turn things around. Lots of coaches who out coached Marlin have moved to better gigs in SBC.

Is it insulting to be upper average in a low level conference? Fans wanted Marty Fletcher gone because he started out losing to Tommy Joe Eagles and Tim Floyd. He actually changed that around.

We'll have Marlin almost a decade before his lack of success is addressed.

Not a moving target at all. Finish in top three or you're mediocre. I'll give you three years to turn things around. Lots of coaches who out coached Marlin have moved to better gigs in SBC.

Is it insulting to be upper average in a low level conference? Fans wanted Marty Fletcher gone because he started out losing to Tommy Joe Eagles and Tim Floyd. He actually changed that around.

We'll have Marlin almost a decade before his lack of success is addressed.
    Marty had losing seasons two of his last three years. That is why he was replaced. Losing Butch Pierre as his recruiter pretty much signaled the end of his tenure. With a strong finish this year I suspect we will have five consecutive D1 winning seasons after next year. Different situation than the end of Marty Fletcher's tenure. Coach Marlin has finished third once since we left divisional play and lower than fourth only once. I understand some view that as mediocre as we should be in the Top 3 more consistently. However, I am not sure how that relates to a possible change from the perspective of the administration. Personally, I think a losing season overall or in conference will have to occur at some point for a change to be seriously considered. A 0.500 conference season may cause it. If we are 6 and 8 at this time next year as we are now, there will be serious pressure and deservedly so. Express may be right in that he may be here a decade as I don't see either a losing season overall or in conference occurring for a couple of years following this season. As far as the conference is concerned, the SBC is not low level this year. Last time I looked it is 12th out of over 30 leagues. Granted that is the best it has been in years. It is also one of the few mid major leagues to have it's champion win a game two consecutive years in the NCAA tourney. I understand that some will say anything out of the Top 10 indicates you are in a lower level league.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Marty had losing seasons two of his last three years. That is why he was replaced. Losing Butch Pierre as his recruiter pretty much signaled the end of his tenure. With a strong finish this year I suspect we will have five consecutive D1 winning seasons after next year. Coach Marlin has finished third once since we left divisional play and lower than fourth only once. I understand some view that as mediocre as we should be in the Top 3 more consistently. However, I am not sure how that relates to a possible change. I think a losing season overall or in conference will have to occur next season for a change to be seriously considered.
    The logical side of me is in complete agreement with you and Melrock. The fan side of me agrees with Express (As hard as it is to admit ). Whether we have a group of blue collar undersized guys or future NBA players, we seem to have the same end result.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The logical side of me is in complete agreement with you and Melrock. The fan side of me agrees with Express (As hard as it is to admit ). Whether we have a group of blue collar undersized guys or future NBA players, we seem to have the same end result.
    My comments stating that a future losing season overall or in conference will have to occur before a change is considered are related to how I see believe the administration views things. That is not necessarily how I would handle things. I would definitely not make a change this year as it was expected to be a rebuilding year. However, I want to see progress next season in the conference standings.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information