Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Louisiana vs Troy

1. UL Basketball Re: Louisiana vs Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I have to say however that our kids are really putting forth the effort---Wright and Handy diving for balls--Stove and Bartly bring it along with Brown and Bryce and Miller do well on the boards

but HOW MANY TIMES do we penetrate and miss layups (sometimes getting to the FT line and missing )--how many times do we charge--how many times do we get stuffed??? See everybody at the Lakefront--we are playing there --correct???

You're right Boomer, the effort is there, but why aren't the rewards on offense. On defense we are simply being out quicked. In fact probably on offense too as many time what looks like an open ally to the goal closes too quickly to change.

2. Default Re: Louisiana vs Troy

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    You're right Boomer, the effort is there, but why aren't the rewards on offense. On defense we are simply being out quicked. In fact probably on offense too as many time what looks like an open ally to the goal closes too quickly to change.
    ----Especially when you get the angled view to see the gap--- and after the initial step it is almost a certain foul (especially last night) if trying to block the shot or cut off penetration!!!

Default Re: Louisiana vs Troy

I haven't kept up with basketball very much for a number of years. Just not enough time in the day but after watching a few games I have to agree on the speed issue. We are just slow on both ends of the ball in comparison to our competition.

Hardy has disappeared over this losing stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ----I have to say however that our kids are really putting forth the effort---Wright and Handy diving for balls--Stove and Bartly bring it along with Brown and Bryce and Miller do well on the boards----but HOW MANY TIMES do we penetrate and miss layups (sometimes getting to the FT line and missing )--how many times do we charge--how many times do we get stuffed??? See everybody at the Lakefront--we are playing there --correct???
    Hardy.
    I have to say, I was impressed (and pleasantly surprised) with the way the team kept hustling and never gave up after the technical fouls and then getting down by 18. It looked like coach Johnson started substituting liberally. I liked the way he was involved in the game. He was talking to the kids and not just sitting passively. I think those two things helped their comeback. If that had started a little sooner they may have had time to come all the way back. The players didn't quit!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Is it just me or do we look tired on defense? Seems like everyone we play has the first step on us. Idk maybe the uptempo style is running the guys ragged and they don't have the energy reserves to play hard on the defensive end. Just thinking.
    We are slow on defense. Bryce has a knee injury (and he is not swift of foot to begin with) and Miller looks like a 'statue' at times. Then, when you add the times the players lose their man to back door cuts, screens, etc. and give up layups because there is no center or WEAKSIDE HELP. Well, we just have a porous defense; almost non-existent. That is why I wished we played more zone from time to time.to mix it up and confuse the opponent. We need to use more players to substitute when we play man to man. If we played more zone or at least mixed it up, we may have a little fresher legs at the end. I am no coach, but that is one fan's 2cents.

I fully agree, our guys don't quit this year. Last year, there were times, many of these same guys seemed to mail it in. I appreciate the maturity.

Bad part Marlin needs to look at, other than UTA, our league is very young.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Bryce is averaging 35 mins/game
    Jay 34 and Bartley 33.

Thats a bunch for those guys. I think MAT is correct that it takes a toll. Also I would like to see more zone. It seems to work ok when we play it. I saw us run a 2-1-2 where the front guys were extended about to the time line. Of course, once a team adjusts and starts hitting 3s over the zone we can get behind quickly.

I appreciate that the last few posts are about basketball and not bashing the coach. I know that I am disappointed the the last stretch of 8-10 games but the team hasn't quit and I love seeing Bryce coach his team up while he's on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    IMO the team is cheating left or right and the other team simply outquicks them to the side we're giving them. Happened last year too except Long was there to fix things. That's why he got in foul trouble so often, trying to fix another players defensive shortcomings.
    That has always bothered me. It has been to allow penetration then a second defender to pick him up and with the double team havoc to ensue. However, we haven't brought the havoc too often. More often than not it is a layup +1.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information