Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bowl Game Shuts Down

1. UL Football Bowl Game Shuts Down

There will be one less college football bowl game in 2017-2018.

The San Diego Bowl Game Association announced last Wednesday that its board of directors has voted to shift its focus solely on the group's running of the Holiday Bowl, meaning_that the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl_is no more.

Default Re: Bowl Game Shuts Down

Hopefully a few more shutdown. I am not one who thinks there is too many bowl games, but when you have teams with losing records getting in then there is a problem. I am a firm believer if you don't want to see it turn the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Hopefully a few more shutdown. I am not one who thinks there is too many bowl games, but when you have teams with losing records getting in then there is a problem. I am a firm believer if you don't want to see it turn the channel.
    Some people criticized the Cajun basketball program for playing in the CIT last year. They did this even after I pointed out the players wanted to continue. A very fair response was that they were a veteran team that maybe did not "deserve" to be in post season play despite their desire to do so. When you have a young team, playing more games can help for the future. That was not so much the case last year. That ties to my next point. I also think there are too many bowl games. That is not because I am being forced to watch. My view is too many teams that don't "deserve" to be in post season football games get to do so now. Any P5 school with a 6 and 6 record which got to play a few rent a win games at home is very questionable as being deserving of post season play. There have been quite a few of those recently. I bet you will see the no. of minor bowl games continue to drop and suspect it will end up around 30 in a few years. I think the no. was 40 last year.

I realize that Conferences cut deals with the bowl games and have automatic ties to certain bowls if enough of their teams qualify. I too don't have a problem with having so many bowl games. However, I do believe that the number should be reduced to permit only teams with winning records (7-5 or better) to be eligible.

Although I know this will never happen, I believe a team should also be required to have at least have a .500 record within their conference to be eligible as well.

For all time only a few bowl games actually mattered anyway. Now with the "playoff" only 2 plus the championship matter at all. So 10, 20, 50 who cares. They are all just meaningless exhibitions. I definitely think schools should stop taking losses to play in them though. But that would take them taking a stand, which I imagine would never happen.

NCAA needs to also allow a bowl game to decide what time and date they want to play. if a tv network doesn't want to show it at that time, then so be it. should that factor in their decision-- of course, but should not be only factor should still be decided by the bowl itself.

TV will always dictate because that is the money. So it will always be the deciding factor.

Meh, A bowl game is a business venture. It may not be for profit per se, but the idea is to promote tourism plus the sponsor’s business. When it does not accomplish these goals, it will probably shut down. I do not understand how the New Orleans Bowl promotes R.L. Carriers though, but I guess it must.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMarineBBK View Post
    TV will always dictate because that is the money. So it will always be the deciding factor.
    fine if it is the deciding factor, but still let the bowl decide it. some games are not on tv, so why did a tv network still decide the time of those games?

I would guess all bowl games are televised. May not be televised by ESPN but still on TV.

The NCAA has no say over the bowls, they are autonomous. The TV dictates the time because they are the ones paying all the money. No TV no real money. Sponsors are not going to pay money not to be on TV.

On another note, New Orleans Bowl still recognizes our wins and records because they are not controlled by the NCAA.

did all networks have the opportunity to bid on all bowl games individually then if NCAA was not involved whatsoever?

13. Default Re: Bowl Game Shuts Down

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Some people criticized the Cajun basketball program for playing in the CIT last year. They did this even after I pointed out the players wanted to continue. A very fair response was that they were a veteran team that maybe did not "deserve" to be in post season play despite their desire to do so. When you have a young team, playing more games can help for the future. That was not so much the case last year. That ties to my next point. I also think there are too many bowl games. That is not because I am being forced to watch. My view is too many teams that don't "deserve" to be in post season football games get to do so now. Any P5 school with a 6 and 6 record which got to play a few rent a win games at home is very questionable as being deserving of post season play. There have been quite a few of those recently. I bet you will see the no. of minor bowl games continue to drop and suspect it will end up around 30 in a few years. I think the no. was 40 last year.

Mike basketball isn't football. Every team in division one basketball has the opportunity to bring home a trophy naming them national champs. There's another thirty two teams, I believe, with a chance at the historic NIT trophy. None of that exists in football. That's a closed fraternity.

So while the kids get extra practice and games it's really about supplementing the mediocre basketball coaches. The players should get the games, the coaches records good or bad shouldn't be reflected. Not for career numbers or contract enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    did all networks have the opportunity to bid on all bowl games individually then if NCAA was not involved whatsoever?
    ESPN owns and operates a bunch of the bowls. I don't know how other bowls work out their broadcasting rights contracts

how about if they gave the extra practices to the teams that don't make postseason. a compromise? more teams wouldn't need the bowl or tourney just for that reason then. could result in less bowls/ less postseason and everyone is happy plus it seems a team that isn't as good needs the practices more than ones that are going to postseason.

plus did the college football playoff teams also get just the 15 or did they get more for the second round, plus school was not in session, so usually can go past 20 hours when that is the case.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information