Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bowl Game Shuts Down

Default Re: Bowl Game Shuts Down

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Meh, A bowl game is a business venture. It may not be for profit per se, but the idea is to promote tourism plus the sponsor’s business. When it does not accomplish these goals, it will probably shut down. I do not understand how the New Orleans Bowl promotes R.L. Carriers though, but I guess it must.
    Simple solution.bar Bowl Games from Not-for-profit status. The profitable ones will survive.the ones using Not-for-profit status as a tax shelter will die on the vine.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    ESPN owns and operates a bunch of the bowls. I don't know how other bowls work out their broadcasting rights contracts
    exactly, so they then decide the times, hmmm. id like to see if the other network's bids were fairly considered, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Mike basketball isn't football. Every team in division one basketball has the opportunity to bring home a trophy naming them national champs. There's another thirty two teams, I believe, with a chance at the historic NIT trophy. None of that exists in football. That's a closed fraternity.

So while the kids get extra practice and games it's really about supplementing the mediocre basketball coaches. The players should get the games, the coaches records good or bad shouldn't be reflected. Not for career numbers or contract enhancements.
    I would be ok with not having CIT games count on coaches records. That is not my point. There are some football teams that do not deserve bowl games which get to do so due to number of them. Roughly 60 percent of FBS schools play in bowls while the number of D1 basketball teams on post season play counting the pay tournaments gives a percentage of roughly 45. Both sports have teams that do not deserve post season play do so. As i said earlier, football number may drop as finances will force more bowl games to be canceled. Disney is not happy with ESPN performance and that may impact the situation.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Mike basketball isn't football. Every team in division one basketball has the opportunity to bring home a trophy naming them national champs. There's another thirty two teams, I believe, with a chance at the historic NIT trophy. None of that exists in football. That's a closed fraternity.

So while the kids get extra practice and games it's really about supplementing the mediocre basketball coaches. The players should get the games, the coaches records good or bad shouldn't be reflected. Not for career numbers or contract enhancements.
    Not everything is a pro-Marlin conspiracy.
    Why shouldn't a coach get credit for a win?

I also don't have a problem with bowl games. If the teams want to participate and they see a benefit, what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    NCAA needs to also allow a bowl game to decide what time and date they want to play. if a tv network doesn't want to show it at that time, then so be it. should that factor in their decision-- of course, but should not be only factor should still be decided by the bowl itself.
    Espn owns most of the bowl games, so that ain't gonna happen.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Not everything is a pro-Marlin conspiracy.
    Why shouldn't a coach get credit for a win?

I also don't have a problem with bowl games. If the teams want to participate and they see a benefit, what is the problem?
    I agree 100%. If the participating teams want to play in them, then the bowls are worth playing. The Poinsettia Bowl's going out of business is not a good thing for any G5 conference member. You can rest assured that the end of this bowl will result in two less G5 teams getting to participate in post season play next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I agree 100%. If the participating teams want to play in them, then the bowls are worth playing. The Poinsettia Bowl's going out of business is not a good thing for any G5 conference member. You can rest assured that the end of this bowl will result in two less G5 teams getting to participate in post season play next year.
    It's holding most universities up at gunpoint for guaranteed ticket sales to force profit to not-for-profit bowls. That should turn anyone from "pro"-bowls to "why the ____ are we allowing this ____ to happen"-bowls.

8. UL Football Re: Bowl Game Shuts Down

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I would be ok with not having CIT games count on coaches records. That is not my point. There are some football teams that do not deserve bowl games which get to do so due to number of them. Roughly 60 percent of FBS schools play in bowls while the number of D1 basketball teams on post season play counting the pay tournaments gives a percentage of roughly 45. Both sports have teams that do not deserve post season play do so. As i said earlier, football number may drop as finances will force more bowl games to be canceled. Disney is not happy with ESPN performance and that may impact the situation.
    100% of NCAA eligible schools participate in the playoff process. You win your conference regular season championship or the tournament and you're in. The football side has never had anything approaching this in FBS.

Frankly I've got a bigger problem with the bowl whiners than participants. As long as the FBS world is a popularity contest we need all bowls. Their financial success is on their committees.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    It's holding most universities up at gunpoint for guaranteed ticket sales to force profit to not-for-profit bowls. That should turn anyone from "pro"-bowls to "why the ____ are we allowing this ____ to happen"-bowls.
    Bowls are forcing schools to accept bowl bids?

Bowls are forcing schools to accept bowl bids?
    What happens to universities who do not have the clout to consider certain bowls beneath them.and they decline an invite? The schools are just as culpable in this mess. Most are using public money to bankroll and exhibition game.

11. Default Re: Bowl Game Shuts Down

Yes, you cannot turn down a bowl. Look what happened to LTUR. Damage lasted exactly one season.

Yes, you cannot turn down a bowl. Look what happened to LTUR. Damage lasted exactly one season.
    Look at the current trajectory they are on.imagine that with an Indy Bowl win over ULM in that lost year.

I cant tell if you two are serious.

I cant tell if you two are serious.
    I'm just waiting for him to call me a leftist.that's when ____ gets real.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    I'm just waiting for him to call me a leftist.that's when ____ gets real.
    Leftist

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information