Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Experimental Rules in Softball? Yes, Please – From the Bird's Nest

1. UL Softball New Experimental Rules in Softball? Yes, Please – From the Bird's Nest

They're designed to speed up the game. They are long overdue.

I read the story last night and applauded.

No. _Really. _I did.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Committee has approved experimental rules for 2017 in select conferences designed to speed up the game.

The rest of the story
    ESPN 1420
    Jay Walker

Default Re: New Experimental Rules in Softball? Yes, Please – From the Bird's Nest

Softball rules committee doesnt seem to think the term P5 only applies to football, if jay is phrasing it accurately

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    Softball rules committee doesnt seem to think the term P5 only applies to football, if jay is phrasing it accurately
    The biggest advantage of speeding the game up.not having to listen to Stevie P trying to fill dead air.somthing we can all agree on.

Default Re: New Experimental Rules in Softball? Yes, Please – From the Bird's Nest

This may be against the grain thinking, but these rules could better prepare us for the Super Regionals, where we suddenly have way less visits and Mike has way less control of the pace than he's enjoyed all season.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    The biggest advantage of speeding the game up.not having to listen to Stevie P trying to fill dead air.somthing we can all agree on.
    Anything that allows me to hear less Stevie P. is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Anything that allows me to hear less Stevie P. is a good thing.
    i respectfully disagree (about stevie p) but agree game needs to speed up, not sure how though.

I had forgotten the NCAA voted to give the P5 autonomy to make rules on certain things a little over 2 years ago. That's why they're referred to as the Autonomy Conferences in this case

The average game time from last year looks to be about 2 hrs. Out of the 55 games we played last year, 21 took over 2 hrs. All five of the regional and super regional games took over 2 hrs. I looked at the 31 games that actually went 7 innings (omitted run rule and extra inning games) and 17 of the 31 took 2 hrs or longer, but of the 17 only 9 went longer than 2:06 and 4 of the nine were post season games. They also had 20 games that were less than 1:45.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    I had forgotten the NCAA voted to give the P5 autonomy to make rules on certain things a little over 2 years ago. That's why they're referred to as the Autonomy Conferences in this case
    truly unbelievable, thanks for the update next im sure going to concerts backstage will be legal in P5 but illegal in G5

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    The average game time from last year looks to be about 2 hrs. Out of the 55 games we played last year, 21 took over 2 hrs. All five of the regional and super regional games took over 2 hrs. I looked at the 31 games that actually went 7 innings (omitted run rule and extra inning games) and 17 of the 31 took 2 hrs or longer, but of the 17 only 9 went longer than 2:06 and 4 of the nine were post season games. They also had 20 games that were less than 1:45.
    great work!
    overall doesn't sound too bad, but need to focus on those later season games, postseason and close games between tough teams. that's when they get longer. many of the blowouts is lowering the average (I surmise)

great work!
    overall doesn't sound too bad, but need to focus on those later season games, postseason and close games between tough teams. that's when they get longer. many of the blowouts is lowering the average (I surmise)
    I have a feeling some of the length of postseason games has to do with commercials.

12. UL Tennis Re: New Experimental Rules in Softball? Yes, Please – From the Bird's Nest

As the Cajuns normally have eight plus runs you cannot look at game time. Instead pay attention to the wasted time. These rules do a lot to address that.

Baseball needs to enforce the thirty second pitch rule when bases are empty. Batters need to be held to one time to step out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    As the Cajuns normally have eight plus runs you cannot look at game time. Instead pay attention to the wasted time. These rules do a lot to address that.

Baseball needs to enforce the thirty second pitch rule when bases are empty. Batters need to be held to one time to step out of the box.
    Looking at the actual scores versus game times, you'd be surprised. If I get some time I'll put the whole seasons stats in a list game by game.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Why would you even listen to Stevie P's radio broadcast when you can see the game in person at Lamson, or, stream away games on line? I haven't had to listen to his broadcast in the last few years. Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Exactly. No matter the actual length of the game the fact is there is a huge amount of unproductive time where coaches and players are playing a mental game rather the actual game.

If a game goes 2.5 hours I'm ok with that as long we don't have two conferences every inning and the flow of the game isn't interrupted as much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information