Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And who lost in the other semis? Does anyone really care? I'm sure someone in Lake Chuck may be following it.

Heck, if it had not been reported, I would not have known Mt. Union's run was over too. Anyone here really follow that?

This is a "put Baby in a corner" moment being set up by a whiny MAC program. NIU screwed the pooch when they had their chance so that's definitely part of it. They got a taste of it and don't see it in the foreseeable future, so let's change the rules.
    And who outside of a 10 mile radius of Lafayette and Hattiesburg knows who lost the NOLA Bowl?

These ____ant Bowls are no more prestigious than the FCS playoff.

Eastern Wash lost the other semi by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I'll agree with you on that. No post season format will be good enough until it is inclusive of all FBS conferences. My "Mother" plan has been put forth for many years. http://csnbbs.com/thread-801483.html

The CFP has gone from 2 to 4. The talk already has begun to move it to 8. The G5 conferences need to make sure that 1 of these slots is reserved for a G5 representative. We have to get our foot in the door, and the time to do that is now.
    I agree, I just don't see them giving us a seat

I'll agree with you on that. No post season format will be good enough until it is inclusive of all FBS conferences. My "Mother" plan has been put forth for many years. http://csnbbs.com/thread-801483.html

The CFP has gone from 2 to 4. The talk already has begun to move it to 8. The G5 conferences need to make sure that 1 of these slots is reserved for a G5 representative. We have to get our foot in the door, and the time to do that is now.
    That plan is my favorite by the way. This is what should be pushed

Default Re: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    That plan is my favorite by the way. This is what should be pushed
    Thanks.

I used basketball for inspiration. There is roughly 20% of the D1 basketball schools that participate in the tourney. It turns out that roughly 20% of the FBS schools equals the Top-25.

Then I had to worry about length of the playoff with so many teams, so the idea of the Bye was born. The Bye also serves as a reward for the top-8 seeds.

The Home field format is important for a couple of reasons. It allows for G5 schools with special seasons to host a first round game. It gives Cinderella a chance. Also, it serves as a financial reward for those schools seeded 8-16 in hosting. Big time money maker for those schools(beats going to those crappy, money losing Bowls you talk about).

Finally, this format allows for those schools who had great years, but missed the playoffs to still go to those Bowls that survive like the Citrus, Outback, etc. Football version of the Nit.

5. Default Re: G5 Playoff

If App or Troy had gone undefeated, they would be about to play Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl.

WMU played an FCS, Geo Sou, Northwestern, Illinois, and the MAC schedule.

Both App and Troy could have run that table.

It's not a matter of if, but when an SBC school makes the Access Bowl.
    ---I thought I was brave even mentioning some SBC's accomplishments---but they could shoot you for these kind of statements!!! lol

6. UL Football Re: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    I would be in favor of a P5 Playoff on one bracket and a G5 Playoff in another bracket, with the two champions meeting to decide the National Championship. Similar to NFC and AFC. I don't see why this would be not at least considered.

I'd envision 6 teams in each bracket. The 5 P5 Conference champions and 1 at-large. The 5 G5 Champs and 1 at-large.

This would be a fair and really exciting Playoff.
    Wouldn't be fair, exciting at all. Having in essence a two bracket playoff with most of the best in one bracket into a playoff with most of the weaker teams is insanely self serving.

No separate playoffs. We've got ten FBS champs. A 12 team playoff, with two at large is fairly balanced and exciting. Four teams getting a bye.

But ultimately the P5 are in charge and I expect nothing.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Wouldn't be fair, exciting at all. Having in essence a two bracket playoff with most of the best in one bracket into a playoff with most of the weaker teams is insanely self serving.

No separate playoffs. We've got ten FBS champs. A 12 team playoff, with two at large is fairly balanced and exciting. Four teams getting a bye.

But ultimately the P5 are in charge and I expect nothing.
    Ultimately, P5 teams will be playing only other P5 teams in bowl games, even if that means more 5-7 teams from P5 conferences play in bowl games. This will make fewer bowls slots available for G5 teams. When this becomes reality, a G5 playoff will make all the sense in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Ultimately, P5 teams will be playing only other P5 teams in bowl games, even if that means more 5-7 teams from P5 conferences play in bowl games. This will make fewer bowls slots available for G5 teams. When this becomes reality, a G5 playoff will make all the sense in the world.
    Set up an 8 team G5 playoff, but if any G5 team is ranked high enough (just like the rules today), they get auto invite instead to major bowl game, and in theory at least, a G5 team could get into the national championship playoff with the big boys.

This way nothing is lost by having the G5 playoff. It will be just as possible (or impossible) as it is now for G5 teams to get in national championship mix, while having a nice playoff to help determine G5 champ (except in odd ball years when a G5 team is good enough to be in major top 4 bowl game or the champ playoff even).

I think G5 teams would prefer to be G5 champ than winner of go daddy or NOLA type bowls (where they are playing G5 teams anyways).

9. UL Football Re: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Then you must absolutely love those pay to play end of the year tournaments Bobby Big Fish has been touting and hanging banners in the Cajun Dome.

Oiler you should just quit, go pick out your burial suit, set up your final affairs. You have never offered a single positive outlook post. All is black, all is without any meaning, woe is me.

Just because the P5 can do something does not mean they will do something. There is not really a lot of positives to putting in 5-7 teams. Those bowls cost money not bring in money. It is to their overall strategic advantage to not further separate. There are pitfalls, such as antitrust, and worst of all political challenges the last thing anyone wants is congress involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiCajun32 View Post
    Set up an 8 team G5 playoff, but if any G5 team is ranked high enough (just like the rules today), they get auto invite instead to major bowl game, and in theory at least, a G5 team could get into the national championship playoff with the big boys.

This way nothing is lost by having the G5 playoff. It will be just as possible (or impossible) as it is now for G5 teams to get in national championship mix, while having a nice playoff to help determine G5 champ (except in odd ball years when a G5 team is good enough to be in major top 4 bowl game or the champ playoff even).

I think G5 teams would prefer to be G5 champ than winner of go daddy or NOLA type bowls (where they are playing G5 teams anyways).
    Make the prize a NY6 bowl berth, or a CFP playoff berth, and I'm all in. If we're not playing for THE national championship, count me out.

In all other sports, we start the season like everyone else - competing for a national championship. Even a Butler or Wichita sniffs it sometimes. Even a Coastal Carolina takes the whole damn thing sometimes.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Then you must absolutely love those pay to play end of the year tournaments Bobby Big Fish has been touting and hanging banners in the Cajun Dome.

Oiler you should just quit, go pick out your burial suit, set up your final affairs. You have never offered a single positive outlook post. All is black, all is without any meaning, woe is me.

Just because the P5 can do something does not mean they will do something. There is not really a lot of positives to putting in 5-7 teams. Those bowls cost money not bring in money. It is to their overall strategic advantage to not further separate. There are pitfalls, such as antitrust, and worst of all political challenges the last thing anyone wants is congress involved.
    If you look at the bowl game matchups this year, you see that bowl matchups are trending toward P5 vs P5 matchups already. What useful purpose does ignoring this fact serve?

P5 conferences want MORE separation from us, not less. Deluding yourself into believing that this will ever change only sets you up for eternal disappointment.

I'm not necessarily for a G5 playoff, but I would like to see the G5 conference champions face each other in bowl game matchups.

12. Default Re: G5 Playoff

Glad you weren't consulting JFK about the moon, or Reagan about taking it to the Russians

If anyone thinks an 11-1 Cajun team is headed to NOLA they are out to lunch. If the Cajuns go 10-1 in 2017 we will play in one of the following: Access, Independence, Texas or any on that level.

14. Default Re: G5 Playoff

Not

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    If anyone thinks a 10-1 Cajun team is headed to NOLA they are out to lunch. If the Cajuns go 10-1 in 2017 we will play in one of the following: Access, Independence, Texas or any on that level.
    If we go 10-1, something went wrong

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information