Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . LastLast

Thread: G5 Playoff

Default Re: G5 Playoff

The set up as it is today, has UL at its ceiling. This is it!

Anybody who thinks "we have a chance at a NY6 bowl!" is seriously delusional. It will never happen. If we are lucky we make the Camellia bowl every other year to spice things up.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Yea cuz losing the NOLA bowl, or vacated two NOLA bowls are so much more glamorous.

As an ex-athlete at UL, I could not see being involved in a sport where you have absolutely NO chance of even being in the conversation for a national championship. I could see it now, instead of me running at Regionals in Indiana in 2005 with a chance to go to Nationals, I would instead go to an invite in Shreveport. "Great season, Walt. You made it to LSU-Shreveport Invitational End of the Season bowl"
    LOL I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    LOL I see your point.
    Listen, I am with you on hoping for huge bowl game, or even a chance at a National champ. But there is no way a G5 ever gets more than what we have now.

If App or Troy had gone undefeated, they would be about to play Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl.

WMU played an FCS, Geo Sou, Northwestern, Illinois, and the MAC schedule.

Both App and Troy could have run that table.

It's not a matter of if, but when an SBC school makes the Access Bowl.

Only reason ndsu had the love they have isn't bc of their brand, it's bc they won 5 in a row. With them losing, you won't hear about them or fcs again for a long time.
    We haven't even scratched the surface of our potential and you say we already hit our ceiling? I don't agree with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Which is why we need out of the sunbelt
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Only reason ndsu had the love they have isn't bc of their brand, it's bc they won 5 in a row. With them losing, you won't hear about them or fcs again for a long time.
    We haven't even scratched the surface of our potential and you say we already hit our ceiling? I don't agree with that at all.
    5 national championships and 5 wins against the P5.they have had dominant FCS teams before but none that play with and beat the big boys like NDSU.they had a ESPN gameday there.an FCS.hosting ESPN gameday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    5 national championships and 5 wins against the P5.they have had dominant FCS teams before but none that play with and beat the big boys like NDSU.they had a ESPN gameday there.an FCS.hosting ESPN gameday.
    Bc there was no marquee match up amongst P5's that weekend. Wanna bet gameday doesn't go back to Fargo now that they lost?

Imagine this

We win the SBC and get in the G5 playoffs as a #8 seed.

SBC Conference Champ Game - @ App St
    Round 1 - Travel to #1 W. Michigan
    Round 2 - Travel to #4 Boise St
    Championship Game - Somewhere in Florida

Do we really have enough fans across the country to support our team through this. Also how many of us would travel to all 4 sites?

It would also take at least $150k per trip to travel the team and it's staff. So we are $500k out of pocket before we play for the title. No one will underwrite the travel cost for these teams.so the school would have to pay!

I'll pass on the G5 playoffs and stick with a bowl opportunity.

Bc there was no marquee match up amongst P5's that weekend. Wanna bet gameday doesn't go back to Fargo now that they lost?
    Wasn't trying to argue with you, they were hyped big time because not only were they winning championships(which hardly anyone watches) but they were beating P5's every year (games people actually watch) if they would have just won the titles and got throttled by P5's like most FCS, I don't think as much hype would have been on them.certainly not a gameday.

Agree with that.

We go undefeated, we need extra help from AAC/MWC/MAC in terms of at least 2-3 loses from their best team.
    Realistically, a great season we go 11-1 or 10-2 depending on the number of SEC teams on schedule.
    So with that, and this current stacked system, this is the ceiling! 11-1 and we in NOLA bowl or Camellia bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Wasn't trying to argue with you, they were hyped big time because not only were they winning championships(which hardly anyone watches) but they were beating P5's every year (games people actually watch) if they would have just won the titles and got throttled by P5's like most FCS, I don't think as much hype would have been on them.certainly not a gameday.
    They lost in the semi's. It's not like they lost before a deep playoff run. James Madison this year would have won the Sunbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    They lost in the semi's. It's not like they lost before a deep playoff run. James Madison this year would have won the Sunbelt.
    Nothing to do with my point, no FCS has ever been hyped like they have.there have been
    Dominant FCS teams before but none had 5 years with national titles and 5 straight years with P5 wins.they won when people were actually watching.that's how they got all the hype.

yea and by your account, we won 4 NOLA Bowls during that same time so shouldn't our football brand be bigger? I mean come on, their in the FCS and we in the FBS.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . LastLast

Thread Information