Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    So who plays Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl?

This is bull****.

These P5 clowns haven't won a NY6 vs. a G-5 yet, and are losing bowls to G-5's. We will not be relegated.

Whoever thinks this is a good idea, ask yourself: how much more money/prestige/recognition/coverage did I-AA (now FCS) get with its playoff?

There is nothing whatsoever positive about a G-5 playoff.

Guess what? The P5 playoff ruined all the other bowls. Kids sit out because they don't mean squat, so why bother playing them?

P5 playoff ruined the other bowls, and g5 playoff will ruin the other G5 bowls even further.

Welcome to the Spring game! The battle for our NIT spot begins here!

How exciting.

Not no but hell freaking no.

Know what comes right after this playoff? More scholarships for P5. Higher payments for P5 players.

Making G5 less able to compete with P5 ON THE FIELD.

This is a sabotage attempt and not even Karl Benson is foolish enough to fall for it - at least I hope he isn't.
    The only thing about this is that up until Peterson got the Washington position, they would have been outside that 48 you speak of, now they are vying for a NC. No way the teams in the P5 outside of the 48 you mention would let themselves be left out

Default Re: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    NOLA bowl is littler league
    I've been to the FCS National Championship game as a fan and I have been to several NOLA bowl as a fan....there is no comparison, between the tv coverage, gameweek experience and festivities, overall big time feel of the game, et...it doesn't hold a candle to the NOLA Bowl.

For those of us who were around for the decision decades ago to remain D-1 and the battle with the brokebacks and others who wanted us to drop to 1-AA, here we go again. Perfect storm for our foes with the state budget cuts.

After personally stepping away from the cliff and taking a second look, this may be why T-Joe sees coming. He was around for the mid 80's budget crisis and knows what the fight will look like. It is going to become harder and harder to justify a university taking the full athletic allowance in the face of TOPS cuts. Politicians will align with the masses before athletics everywhere except in Refineryville.

Just to show you how non-relevant FCS is as I stated earlier, I had forgotten they have not even played their championship game yet. And I'm sure I am not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    The only thing about this is that up until Peterson got the Washington position, they would have been outside that 48 you speak of, now they are vying for a NC. No way the teams in the P5 outside of the 48 you mention would let themselves be left out
    Your main point is valid, but Washington would have been in the 48 regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    ...After personally stepping away from the cliff and taking a second look, this may be why T-Joe sees coming. He was around for the mid 80's budget crisis and knows what the fight will look like. It is going to become harder and harder to justify a university taking the full athletic allowance in the face of TOPS cuts. Politicians will align with the masses before athletics everywhere except in Refineryville....
    You are more correct than you know.

While we marvel at the Master Plan progression, the Bowl games, our diamond sports, a new AD coming, Alden Report adherence etc., there are even more jaw dropping things being done in the university budget area with regards to state funding.

From now on, whenever any politician tries to mess with us due to the state budget fiasco, we will tell them to pound sand.

Under the current system (4 team playoff), what is the goal of a G5 school? I personally think a G5 will NEVER be in the 4 team playoff.

Why didn't Western Michigan (13-0) get in the 4 team playoff over over a 12-1 Washington?

Even had this years hot team everyone was buzzing over (Tom Herman & Houston) gone undefeated, I don't think they get in the playoff.

Unless the playoff expands to more than 4 teams, the current system is already stacked against the G5.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Under the current system (4 team playoff), what is the goal of a G5 school? I personally think a G5 will NEVER be in the 4 team playoff.

Why didn't Western Michigan (13-0) get in the 4 team playoff over over a 12-1 Washington?

Even had this years hot team everyone was buzzing over (Tom Herman & Houston) gone undefeated, I don't think they get in the playoff.

Unless the playoff expands to more than 4 teams, the current system is already stacked against the G5.
    I think the playoff will expand to 8, and the top G5 will be included. I see no reason whatsoever (and no upside) to forming our own playoff for the booby prize.

8. Default Re: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    You are more correct than you know.

While we marvel at the Master Plan progression, the Bowl games, our diamond sports, a new AD coming, Alden Report adherence etc., there are even more jaw dropping things being done in the university budget area with regards to state funding.

From now on, whenever any politician tries to mess with us due to the state budget fiasco, we will tell them to pound sand.
    ----When I see T-Joe at functions and see the folks that he has conversations with, I can't help but think about some big things going on---although i would love to know the goings on, I just imagine what ends that are considered----It was like the first time I went to see the master plan with the student council and saw some of the sketches in the power point of the UL city concept-----it mingled in with the entire athletic campus and the transit overhead rails along with other high tech deals----something was happening big time-----I remember when I heard for the first time his desire for ALL departments to be self sufficient (I was thinking about future cuts and remembered when on the Toby Warren staff and his refusal to take state athletic monies) No, I don't know what's going on, but I think that just his experiences from positions held give us a guy in the know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    So who plays Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl?

This is bull****.

These P5 clowns haven't won a NY6 vs. a G-5 yet, and are losing bowls to G-5's. We will not be relegated.

Whoever thinks this is a good idea, ask yourself: how much more money/prestige/recognition/coverage did I-AA (now FCS) get with its playoff?

There is nothing whatsoever positive about a G-5 playoff.

Guess what? The P5 playoff ruined all the other bowls. Kids sit out because they don't mean squat, so why bother playing them?

P5 playoff ruined the other bowls, and g5 playoff will ruin the other G5 bowls even further.

Welcome to the Spring game! The battle for our NIT spot begins here!

How exciting.

Not no but hell freaking no.

Know what comes right after this playoff? More scholarships for P5. Higher payments for P5 players.

Making G5 less able to compete with P5 ON THE FIELD.

This is a sabotage attempt and not even Karl Benson is foolish enough to fall for it - at least I hope he isn't.
    I never said I was Pro-G5 playoff, I was merely introducing the fact that SBNation had wrote about it.

Now to compare a possible G5 playoff to FCS is foolish. So you telling me a Sam Houston St can generate the same ratings as Houston. Or that NDSU has the same as Boise St. Also, most of the FCS playoff games are done at times when the FBS games are going on. That in itself is a huge reason why their ratings suffer. With a G5 playoff of 4 top teams, they could easily schedule the 3 games in a way that it isn't interfered with major bowls and the championship could be on its own night. Would it be overshadowed? of course, but just as must as these ____ ant bowls we were currently relegated to now.
    Also, adding a G5 Playoff of 4 would keep most other bowls the exact same. So you could still get to go to the UL's Superbowl at the NOLA bowl. Wooowhooo! Our ceiling is so exciting.

And will stay that way. If they expand to 8, there is no way in hell they add the Top G5 team in on it. It will not happen! And nothing done in the past says they will do that. They may loosen up and give two G5 in the NY6, but we will never go to the dance.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The playoff will be expanded to 8. The ability for a G5 to get into that playoff will happen. I disagree with Oiler on the idea that the lower tier P5s will somehow break off and end up in a new group with the top G5s. The conference memberships are not going to change a lot in the P5s.

One of the plans of the P5 conference, by taking in all of the money and more, is to develop the "bottom tier" P5 programs into programs that are above all G5s. That's the evolution of the P5. It isn't that the bottom P5s are going to be left out of so much that they'd prefer leaving the P5 conference... just because they aren't in the title hunts... and join a lower division of football. Ain't going to happen.

I do see the G5 conferences being consolidated from 5 to 4... or maybe even 3. And I see some of the weaker G5s going down to FCS. FCS will catch a little wind from that happening. But don't ever think a P5 conference member... just because they aren't dominating in football... is giving up their position in the P5. They will get more than enough money to end that notion. The top P5 football schools need them... and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I've been to the FCS National Championship game as a fan and I have been to several NOLA bowl as a fan....there is no comparison, between the tv coverage, gameweek experience and festivities, overall big time feel of the game, et...it doesn't hold a candle to the NOLA Bowl.
    Its not a bowl is why they dont have the gameweek experience. Its a championship! As for as TV coverage, it is about the same damn coverage. NOLA Bowl gets 0 exposure before kickoff and after kickoff. ZERO!
    It will always be fun for a fan base especially in NOLA but for national exposure or for a nation to actually give a ____ about the game. They are damn near the same.
    I would say thought, NDSU has a bigger name than UL in football. Not even sure it is close. The only thing we have going for us is the one off mascot name of Cajuns. Other than that in football, NDSU is a bigger brand (in football)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The playoff will be expanded to 8. The ability for a G5 to get into that playoff will happen. I disagree with Oiler on the idea that the lower tier P5s will somehow break off and end up in a new group with the top G5s. The conference memberships are not going to change a lot in the P5s.

One of the plans of the P5 conference, by taking in all of the money and more, is to develop the "bottom tier" P5 programs into programs that are above all G5s. That's the evolution of the P5. It isn't that the bottom P5s are going to be left out of so much that they'd prefer leaving the P5 conference... just because they aren't in the title hunts... and join a lower division of football. Ain't going to happen.

I do see the G5 conferences being consolidated from 5 to 4... or maybe even 3. And I see some of the weaker G5s going down to FCS. FCS will catch a little wind from that happening. But don't ever think a P5 conference member... just because they aren't dominating in football... is giving up their position in the P5. They will get more than enough money to end that notion. The top P5 football schools need them... and they know it.
    When it goes to 8, G5 will not be giving a auto to the table. They may be able to play themselves in if they a Top 10 or so, but an auto will never happen. IMO.

I do agree, P5 teams will not break off to the G5 teams. A Purdue who has no chance of winning anything, will never leave that money train to have a chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

Agree. I also think that had UH been undefeated, they could have gotten in the playoff especially beating OU and Louisville. That's why you still have to play some of the top P5's, just have to be able to beat them. We can't even beat top G5's and bottom P5's, but that certainly should be our goal and the coach we have now is not getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Its not a bowl is why they dont have the gameweek experience. Its a championship! As for as TV coverage, it is about the same damn coverage. NOLA Bowl gets 0 exposure before kickoff and after kickoff. ZERO!
    It will always be fun for a fan base especially in NOLA but for national exposure or for a nation to actually give a ____ about the game. They are damn near the same.
    I would say thought, NDSU has a bigger name than UL in football. Not even sure it is close. The only thing we have going for us is the one off mascot name of Cajuns. Other than that in football, NDSU is a bigger brand (in football)
    Would you rather trade places with NDSU??...if we wanted to win FCS championships we would have stayed at that level 35 years ago...we chose to move up knowing damn well we were going to play for a bowl game not a National Championship. Only about 30 schools in the nation have a realistic shot at winning a National Championship at the FBS Level. Not to mention, who ever wins this "g5 playoff" would no way, shape or form be preceived as a National Champion...only a champion of the G5s.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information