Thread: G5 Playoff

Default Re: G5 Playoff

in a few weeks? lol....

that made your point perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    in a few weeks? lol....

that made your point perfectly
    wow, nevermind.... they have pushed it back, with more time between semis and finals... lmao, so much for concentrated on academics and not playing too many games for risking injury

When I first heard the news about it this morning I really liked the idea. After hearing what everyone on here has to say I'm starting to believe it would be a death sentence. Other G5 programs will know this and make it hard to pass. It's not a slam dunk.

If there was a G5 playoff you can bet the Mickyneese's of the world would be running to join the G5 conference. We would continue to dilute our product. No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    No. Just no.

What the P5 schools needs to be pushing right now is an 8 team playoff that consists of the champions of the P5 conferences, 2 at large schools, and the highest ranked G5 school.

It's not my preferred playoff, but it is doable. There are already a growing number of voices pushing an 8 team playoff. We need to jump on that bandwagon and make sure they save a seat for us.
    This is the exact format I have been thinking about as well. Use a BCS style ranking system to determine the 2 "wild card" at large teams, the best G5 team, and the seeding. If a G5 school happens to be ranked higher than one of the P5 champions then they earn the 7th seed for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    I would be in favor of a P5 Playoff on one bracket and a G5 Playoff in another bracket, with the two champions meeting to decide the National Championship. Similar to NFC and AFC. I don't see why this would be not at least considered.

I'd envision 6 teams in each bracket. The 5 P5 Conference champions and 1 at-large. The 5 G5 Champs and 1 at-large.

This would be a fair and really exciting Playoff.
    No it wouldn't be. It'd be like taking the top 6 teams in the NFL and have them play and have 7-12 play and give a ticket to a team in the bottom 7. It'd be like making 1-8 in a basketball regional play and having them match up with a 9-16 to get to the final 4. In what world should western Michigan have an easier path to the national champ game than Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    And I know it's not a popular idea, but it might be necessary. On a theoretical level, 1 in 128 teams have a chance at the National Championship. On an actual level, 1 in 64ish have a chance. The other 64 play for bowl games. It's the worst post-season in sports.
    What it is, is the prelude to another separation between the top of the G5 and the bottom that has been privately discussed. Some of us have discussed it somewhat on Ragin Pagin. Once that happens, you might as well play FCS Football.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18369921/growing-number-group-5-officials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams
    There you have it boys....1-AA relabeled. What utter BS. "National networks interested"...I don't know who won the FCS championship other than NDSU got knocked out. Nor do I give a flip. And neither will America.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    I would be in favor of a P5 Playoff on one bracket and a G5 Playoff in another bracket, with the two champions meeting to decide the National Championship. Similar to NFC and AFC. I don't see why this would be not at least considered.
    That will never happen. Pigs at the trough, no room for the "runts" of G-5. They just expanded to four teams playing for the Championship. Just more money at the end of the day. And the big boys don't want to share anymore.

If this happens the next thing will be for the big boys to raise the number of scholarships they give out in football, basketball, baseball etc.

This is a no win for us.

On an actual level, 1 in 64ish have a chance. The other 64 play for bowl games. It's the worst post-season in sports.
    And the REAL truth is that maybe only 1 in 30 have a realistic chance.... yea the Vandebilt's, Kentucky's, Wake Forest's and the likes have a theoretical chance but year in year out it is only a small, similar handful that are really in the hunt.... The finances in the P5 are widely varying also....Truth is there is Top P5; Bottom P5 and G5

We play for a New Orleans bowl berth with a 1 in 68 (G5 schools) chance of making it into the big bowl. A playoff gives you something to play for.
    We already have something worthless to play for, with a (long)shot at a magical moment in an NY6. Give me that over a "cher, look how cute" playoff any day.

This is bullcrap.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    And the REAL truth is that maybe only 1 in 30 have a realistic chance.... yea the Vandebilt's, Kentucky's, Wake Forest's and the likes have a theoretical chance but year in year out it is only a small, similar handful that are really in the hunt.... The finances in the P5 are widely varying also....Truth is there is Top P5; Bottom P5 and G5
    The playoff format should be changed to include all conference champions and a few at large selections. FBS should be FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    If this happens the next thing will be for the big boys to raise the number of scholarships they give out in football, basketball, baseball etc.
    BINGO!!!!

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The playoff format should be changed to include all conference champions and a few at large selections. FBS should be FBS.
    This right here...

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Agreed. But that's like saying we need world peace.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information