Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6

Thread: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's very simple.

We either go all in with JD as our QB or we find a graduate transfer who can throw the dang ball.
    It must be lot simpler in theory than in practice.

Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Honestly I didn't even read this article. But all I see is the title of the article and the only thing that comes to mind is. No shat, Sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Our coaches need to know what they see on film. and what doesn't translate at the FBS level. There are prolific HS QBs that look great on film, and they aren't going to cut it at the speed and against the skills of an FBS defense. I don't have the skill watching film to assess the FBS skilled QB. I can see what looks good at the HS level, against HS competition. But I've found that to be inconsequential. Our staff needs to know the separation factors, or pay closer attention to those that do. I'm baffled, not only by our program, at the high rate a number of dual threat QBs that are studs in HS, that don't translate well into the FBS.
    Agree, the measurement that our recruiters are using for a QB (and OL) is not working and doesn't translate into a productive offense in FBS.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    Honestly I didn't even read this article. But all I see is the title of the article and the only thing that comes to mind is. No shat, Sherlock.
    It wasn't an article suited for our fans. It was for a wider state audience that doesn't follow the Cajuns closely. It wasn't new info for us. but it was accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Also, I noticed that he drops back after taking the snap from the shotgun! That's something you don't see. He gets the ball 5-6 yards behind center, then drops back another 4-5 yards. So he's 10 or so yards behind the LOS when throwing most of his passes. You only do that if you have a very strong arm! And, when you drop back that deep, there's little chance you will get pressure from several DLmen. In most cases, only one guy will get pressure and Levi usually escapes with ease. Don't think you can get away with that playing D1 teams, but it is very cool to watch.
    Tim Rattay

He did that the whole time he was at Tech.

Shotgun, drop back another 5 yards, and fire 30 yard lasers on the money.

You can't defend that.

Tim Rattay

You can't defend that.
    You can with a good speed rusher.

It wasn't an article suited for our fans. It was for a wider state audience that doesn't follow the Cajuns closely. It wasn't new info for us. but it was accurate.
    Gotcha. Yea it's been painfully obvious to all of us for 2 years now.

8. Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

I, like most fans, only know about JD not being "mature" or "getting it" from what I read on here. It's odd to me that he can't do what we require of QBs. And now that he (or whoever starts next year) doesn't have Eli in the backfield (assisting in play comprehension), it may even be more difficult next year to get our full suite of play options built into our offense. Hud and staff really need to figure the QB situation out early. and groom the successors. I don't know their process. but it's been abysmal the past 2 seasons.
    What does anyone know of Kadon Harrison who we have committed for this upcoming class as a QB. Or is he projected to move to WR?

He is listed at 6'2" 185 lbs. out of Port Arthur, TX. He was recruited by Minnesota and New Mexico, but only had an offer from us and Lamar. According to Gopher Illustrated, Jay Johnson is still on him to decommit from UL to the Gophers.

Tim Rattay

You can't defend that.
    Ratty played while I lived overseas, so didn't get to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You can with a good speed rusher.

Yeah, but if it's only one rusher due to the drop distance, AND the QB has esapability, there's a good chance something good can happen.

None of the high school QBs recruited by HUD have seen any significant playing time. This is very worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    None of the high school QBs recruited by HUD have seen any significant playing time. This is very worrisome.
    Been saying this for 2 years now.

Either we are are the only FBS program that can't develop a QB in 6 years or HUD has been missing by a wide margin on QB's.

and this year's incoming class looks like Nixon/Ray 2.0

Athlete playing QB. I have no problem with an athlete playing quarterback as long as they are developed. Case and point, if he will not let Ray or Nixon throw the ball just go ahead and put them in at running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    Been saying this for 2 years now.

Either we are are the only FBS program that can't develop a QB in 6 years or HUD has been missing by a wide margin on QB's.

and this year's incoming class looks like Nixon/Ray 2.0

Athlete playing QB. I have no problem with an athlete playing quarterback as long as they are developed. Case and point, if he will not let Ray or Nixon throw the ball just go ahead and put them in at running back.
    or stop the charades and just commit to an option attack.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6

Thread Information