Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

When he under threw Jared Johnson And he had to slow down and go back to catch it and allow the defender to make a good play, I thought that play is when the game was over. Under throwing a 6'7" receiver omits the advantage of being a 6'7" receiver.

2. Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    When he under threw Jared Johnson And he had to slow down and go back to catch it and allow the defender to make a good play, I thought that play is when the game was over. Under throwing a 6'7" receiver omits the advantage of being a 6'7" receiver.
    ---think in the 2 minute deal that I give it a vertical with Johnson ----why not???

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    To be honest I'd rather have better pass blockers than road graters. You ain't pulling off no upset over a solid P5 program trying to run them over.
    i get your point, but don't you think if we did have absolute road graders up front, they would be good enough to be decent at pass protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Improving the OL should be the No. 1 priority in the off season. It was not only an issue last night but in several earlier games as well. Every time we were in a long yardage situation, I cringed for Jennings last night as I knew he was about to be pummeled. It does not matter who the QB is or how the offensive play calling goes, it will be meaningless unless play in that unit improves. Discussing anything else may have valid issues brought up but it pales in comparison to this need.
    Well said Mike. The most concerning thing to me is that we have 4 returning starters. Are they entrenched as starters next year? Can they improve? I feel like the guards can improve since they are both Freshman, but I have doubts if the two Tackles can improve enough to be serviceable. I know some people thought our Center was good, but I hope we can find a quicker guy who can get out in space to block. Bottom line, we need major improvement at all 5 line positions or we will have a similar record next year.regardless of who is playing QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    i get your point, but don't you think if we did have absolute road graders up front, they would be good enough to be decent at pass protection?
    Not neccassarily. Good pass protection comes from length and agility more than strength. Run blocking requires to to create gaps and move people off of their spots. In pass protection OL catches the pass rush and just has to hold ground. It's more finess than anything else.

Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Hopefully the young man from Eunice will upgrade the center position.and I know that there are several JC or prep school tackles on the recruiting list. While the guards are young and improving, I wonder if any of them can pull, target, and hit anyone outside of a 10 yard window.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Not neccassarily. Good pass protection comes from length and agility more than strength. Run blocking requires to to create gaps and move people off of their spots. In pass protection OL catches the pass rush and just has to hold ground. It's more finess than anything else.
    You know way more than I do about offensive linemen. but I kind of doubt we'll recruit "pass blockers" in lieu of "road graders". What I think is lacking is two things: 1) too much focus on the big shadow a recruit casts - without focus on his agility, and 2) the ability to coach BOTH pass blocking and road grading. I'm hoping that 1 and 2 failed somewhat this year due to the inexperience of the OL. and we'll see marked improved next year.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Improving the OL should be the No. 1 priority in the off season. It was not only an issue last night but in several earlier games as well. Every time we were in a long yardage situation, I cringed for Jennings last night as I knew he was about to be pummeled. It does not matter who the QB is or how the offensive play calling goes, it will be meaningless unless play in that unit improves. Discussing anything else may have valid issues brought up but it pales in comparison to this need.
    I completely agree, Mike. But Jennings has proven to be adequate against inferior opponents. just like our OL. and inadequate against better opponents. just like our OL. I thought he would have a little better escapability than he does. And despite knowing he has a good arm. he thew a lot of wounded ducks. I'll give some of the problems he had to the OL. but when UL faces better opponents. even in the SBC. we are going to have to have a playmaker at QB. We don't run a cerebral system. We're probably never going to amaze people with pass protection under Hud. We need the second coming of Brian Mitchell for Hud to "earn his million".

what kinds of things can be done in the offseason, to improve it?

I thought it was said size isn't our particular problem.

10. Default Re: Luke Johnson: Cajuns are close, but they won't turn the corner until they get better at QB

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    what kinds of things can be done in the offseason, to improve it?

I thought it was said size isn't our particular problem.
    ---Tell ya what---we need 2-3 LBs cause the guys we lost were VERY VERY GOOD players!!!

I don't think we need "the second coming of Brian Mitchell." That's a little bit much. We just need a serviceable QB. Gauthier and Broadway had success under Hud, so it's not impossible. Unfortunately we fell for the "He sucked in the SEC but he will dominate against the inferior SunBelt" trick. And we got burned

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    I don't think we need "the second coming of Brian Mitchell." That's a little bit much. We just need a serviceable QB. Gauthier and Broadway had success under Hud, so it's not impossible. Unfortunately we fell for the "He sucked in the SEC but he will dominate against the inferior SunBelt" trick. And we got burned
    Was that quote from Hud? "He sucked in the SEC but he will dominate against the inferior SBC"? And yes. Hud better shoot for a Brian Mitchell. Both Blaine and Terrance got hurt in Hud's offense. Hud needs the arm, legs, head, and power of a Brian Mitchell. Hud is not a cerebral coach. As you witnessed. he thought Anthony Jennings "sucked in SEC. but would dominate at UL". Right? Or did Hud get trumped by a Ragin Pagin fan and forced to use a different QB than he wanted?

Until this offense can establish a passing game, this team will always be mediocre, able to beat poor teams, not able to compete with top G5 or middle P5. I don't see it happening under Hud. Too many problems for him to overcome including his own philosophy.

Luke is correct.

There were a few game turning plays where Jennings had all the time he needed, the receivers were open, and he wasn't close. The TV announcers saw this , and Luke saw this.

This is why I HATE worshiping at the altar of the "dual threat" QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Luke is correct.

There were a few game turning plays where Jennings had all the time he needed, the receivers were open, and he wasn't close. The TV announcers saw this , and Luke saw this.

This is why I HATE worshiping at the altar of the "dual threat" QB.
    I'm with you. I want a QB, if he can run then great. But I'd rather have a guy who could carve up a defense and make heady decisions than a guy who wows at a combine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information