Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A few things you should know about the Southern Miss Golden Eagles

1. UL Football A few things you should know about the Southern Miss Golden Eagles

As the University of Louisiana prepares for its fifth New Orleans Bowl in six years on Dec. 17, here are a few things you should know about the Ragin' Cajuns opponent:

1 Southern Miss has played in four prior New Orleans Bowls._The Golden Eagles beat North Texas there in 2004, beat Arkansas State in 2005, beat Troy in 2008 in overtime and lost to Middle Tennessee in 2009._(The 2005 game actually was played at UL’s home, Cajun Field, due to Hurricane Katrina’s devastation in New Orleans).

Default Re: A few things you should know about the Southern Miss Golden Eagles

what are the Advertisers great insights on the Golden Eagles, apparently I have run out of complimentary reads on line

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    what are the Advertisers great insights on the Golden Eagles, apparently I have run out of complimentary reads on line
    right click on the link and open in incognito mode (chrome) or private window (firefox)

Back in November, I interviewed Southern Miss QB Nick Mullens and RB Ito Smith for the story posted below. Very talented tandem. Mullens returned from a two-game absence to pass for 342 yards and three TDs in USM's most recent game, a 39-24 win over LA Tech on Nov. 25. He left the Charlotte game after getting hurt, and the Eagles lost that game and the next two as he sat out. His numbers are down from last season (C-USA Offensive Player of the Year with 4,476 passing yards and 38 TDs), but he has thrown for 2,926 yards and 22 TDs this season and is USM's all-time leader in passing yardage. Smith has rushed for 1,326 yards and 15 TDs and caught 42 passes for 453 yards and another score, so he's a run-catch threat.

http://americansportsnet.com/sweet-h.-nick-mullens/

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    Back in November, I interviewed Southern Miss QB Nick Mullens and RB Ito Smith for the story posted below. Very talented tandem. Mullens returned from a two-game absence to pass for 342 yards and three TDs in USM's most recent game, a 39-24 win over LA Tech on Nov. 25. He left the Charlotte game after getting hurt, and the Eagles lost that game and the next two as he sat out. His numbers are down from last season (C-USA Offensive Player of the Year with 4,476 passing yards and 38 TDs), but he has thrown for 2,926 yards and 22 TDs this season and is USM's all-time leader in passing yardage. Smith has rushed for 1,326 yards and 15 TDs and caught 42 passes for 453 yards and another score, so he's a run-catch threat.

Those 2 will be very difficult to slow down for 4 quarters.

This tandem kind of reminds me of when we played San Diego State. QB-Ryan Lindley (3153 passing yards, 23-td's / 8-int's) & RB-Ronnie Hillman (1711 rushing, 270 receiving, 20-td's).

I give Hud credit for bowl preparation. When he has an opportunity to zero in on one opponent for 2 weeks, he usually has a solid game plan.a game plan that is usually off-script. I seem to remember virtually shutting that 2011 tandem down in the dome. Maybe history repeats itself?

Looking at actual stats, Lindley did have a really good game, but Hillman was shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    This tandem kind of reminds me of when we played San Diego State. QB-Ryan Lindley (3153 passing yards, 23-td's / 8-int's) & RB-Ronnie Hillman (1711 rushing, 270 receiving, 20-td's).

I give Hud credit for bowl preparation. When he has an opportunity to zero in on one opponent for 2 weeks, he usually has a solid game plan.a game plan that is usually off-script. I seem to remember virtually shutting that 2011 tandem down in the dome. Maybe history repeats itself?
    the secondary will have to play their best game of the year for sure and we gotta get pressure.

they forgot to mention that is wasn't that long ago that the USM athletic department was in the red and needed a bailout, did they pay back said bailout yet?

PRESSURE is key. We do seem to jam at the line of scrimmage in bowl games, but not successfully in regular season. If we can jam, then I hope Hud sends a fire drill of LB's/DB's at Southern Miss

PRESSURE is key. We do seem to jam at the line of scrimmage in bowl games, but not successfully in regular season. If we can jam, then I hope Hud sends a fire drill of LB's/DB's at Southern Miss
    You blitz all night.if they cross the line of scrimmage take everybone of em out

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post

Josh, USM won't play us, at least not on a home and home basis. That's my grudge heading into this game. Do you get a sense of how they perceive us and the Sun Belt?

This would be a BIG win.

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    Josh, USM won't play us, at least not on a home and home basis. That's my grudge heading into this game. Do you get a sense of how they perceive us and the Sun Belt?
    I don't blame them as much, they were actually a part of the CUSA that at one time was head and shoulders above us and the last 7 or 8 times we played them there proved it on the field they were.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    This would be a BIG win.
    Symbolically and I'm historical perspective especially after this season

Might be his biggest win.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information