Thread: What should our mascot be?

Ragin' Cajuns What should our mascot be?

It is your opinions.

2. Default

well, I think an actual "Ragin' Cajun" is kind of cheesey. The pepper's OK. I liked the chicken but he really didn't have much to do with being Cajun.

Personally, I'd like to see someone in a bulldog costume. At least it has some historical significance to the university.

My favorite:

Choice #1 catahoula leopard

choice #2 bull gator

choice #3 anything besides that stupid pepper costume

4. Default

Is UL doomed to having great monikers and trademarks that don't work as spirit leaders on the sidelines?

Ragin' Cajuns is the best moniker in the country and yet doesn't work as a costumed crowd ramper.

As CDeb's POLL shows, the printed/clothing pepper is really liked and yet the sideline costumed pepper is not. I agree with his poll, it seems UL has splendid and celebrated identifiers that simply don't translate well to the sidelines.

The bulldog wasn't bad it just became so ordinary due to overuse on a national level. Perhaps because we were once the BullDogs, we are now gun-shy about duplicating anything, even once over. I think the fear of duplicating something used once elsewhere is an overblown fear, but I wouldn't want to reuse something used elsewhere in the state. Sorry Mr. Pelican.

Swampfox did a POLL last winter where the BullGator came in as first choice, but if I recall he ran the poll for only 10 days before it closed. I liked the results of that poll. BullGator is my choice as well, but you know you can never go wrong with a sideline dog, simply because they don't need to translate they can actually be there.

Ironically I ran a similar POLL, (with more choices based on a Trigger74 list) let it run much longer and it had the opposite results. CatahouLA 1st, BullGator 2nd but only by one vote.

Polls aside, the BullGator is my 1st choice because:

5. we would have - one of, if not the - largest and oldest mascot habitats in the country with Cypress Swamp.
  6. BullGators have been used extensively in Louisiana's Acadien yearbook for much of its history, even on the cover.
  7. Bullgators are often nicknamed "Louisiana Yard Dogs"
  8. It's only used once elsewhere.
  9. The football field is already nicknamed the Swamp, a BullGators habitat.

So for me there are multiple BullGator connections to the university, and once again we would have a celebrated identifier. I just hope its mockup would translate well to the sidelines. I mean we couldn't actually have one on the field could we?

This is seaux easy, people. Get a trained Catahoula, put him in a UL jersey (xxxsmall) and call the thing Boudin or something. Have him retrieve the tee after kickoff, Do frisbee tricks during intermissions, roam the sidelines and let the kids pet him. Instant success.

Originally posted by RaginRash
    This is seaux easy, people. Get a trained Catahoula, put him in a UL jersey (xxxsmall) and call the thing Boudin or something. Have him retrieve the tee after kickoff, Do frisbee tricks during intermissions, roam the sidelines and let the kids pet him. Instant success.
    I love that idea, also Lovefest on Delphi said he knew someone who had red & white catahoulas.

Thread Information