Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I didn't mention the Prophets injuries until you or someone brought it up as a defense. Then you blame Hud for his injuries this year by running him multiple times into the teeth of the defense. He got injured on a breakaway touchdown vs the Lamers this year, not a charge into the middle of the line.

Actually I seem to recall he came to UL injured, and we repaired him after his sophomore season.

You really have no idea what Mitchell did, the teams he beat, and how competitive hie lead the Cajuns to be with P5, and premier G5 teams. Don't give me another era BS. Again to say Mitchell is the UL GOAT takes away nothing from the Prophet, Fenroy,or the great Jake Delhome.
    Eli was healthy his first two years here. He did have some problems last year but they have been more pronounced this year. I agree Brian Mitchell is the greatest cajun offensive player i have seen as a cajun.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    That's an answer to Crawfish who should know better than his comments.

Prophet missed two and for all basic purposes three this year. He was also slowed in his sophomore season due to ongoing problems from a high school injury that we fixed before the start of 2015.

So three games, and less than full speed his sophomore year where he still did outstanding things.

You're excused from class as you missed out on professor Mitchell lectures.
    Slowed his sophomore season? When he was SBC offensive player of the year, player of the year and LSWA player of the year? I guess good thing for everyone else he was "slowed"

Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

If the Eli of '13 & '14 was putting up the those same type of numbers over the past year and a half this would be a legitimate enough discussion.with that being said it is B. Mitch without a doubt.

4. Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

I lean towards Mitchell but I can't be sure.

The scripted use of McGuire makes me give him extra cred.

You can't judge or compare the athleticism of a running quarterback and a pure running back.

A running QB gets to take advantage of the element of surprise.

All you have to do is study Brian Mitchell's last 3 plays as a pro to understand what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I lean towards Mitchell but I can't be sure.

The scripted use of McGuire makes me give him extra cred.

You can't judge or compare the athleticism of a running quarterback and a pure running back.

A running QB gets to take advantage of the element of surprise.

All you have to do is study Brian Mitchell's last 3 plays as a pro to understand what I am talking about.
    And also why I bring up Era.no way to know what Eli could have done back then or now as a QB.you know his actual high school position that he lead the state in rushing at.

6. Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    And also why I bring up Era.no way to know what Eli could have done back then or now as a QB.you know his actual high school position that he lead the state in rushing at.
    ---------juxtaposition the 2 and I don't know the faster-----McGuire is more elusive and Mitchell had more power in his running----Mitchell threw passes and McGuire is as good of a receiver as I have ever seen at UL!!!

No excuses, just don't care that you are ensuating that McGuire isn't tough. What's harder? to play healthy or play hurt? There is never anyway to accurately compare different eras, coaches, systems etc. You Gabe no way of knowing how they would perform if they swapped places. They are both incredible athletes, both tough and play different positions. It's funny though that the new guy is never as good as the guy from back in the day.never in any discussion no matter who is being discussed or discussing it.
    Sometimes people do credit older players too much. Not in this case. UL has played football for 100 years. Mitchell had 80 years of competitors before him. Nobody is on here saying Roy Henry is the greatest just cause he was great before Mitchell. They are saying Mitchell was the greatest because he was a damn super hero on the football field. One day, god willing, we will have a better player. But it ain't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---------juxtaposition the 2 and I don't know the faster-----McGuire is more elusive and Mitchell had more power in his running----Mitchell threw passes and McGuire is as good of a receiver as I have ever seen at UL!!!
    Let's not get carried away, Boomer. McGuire is a good receiver, but he ain't no Brandon Stokley.

9. Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Sometimes people do credit older players too much. Not in this case. UL has played football for 100 years. Mitchell had 80 years of competitors before him. Nobody is on here saying Roy Henry is the greatest just cause he was great before Mitchell. They are saying Mitchell was the greatest because he was a damn super hero on the football field. One day, god willing, we will have a better player. But it ain't happened yet.
    Pop Warner said Chris Cagle was "best backfield player he has seen on either side of the continent."

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Pop Warner said Chris Cagle was "best backfield player he has seen on either side of the continent."
    You old guys and your ways

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

honestly, read the sequence of post again and see what I was saying. Or anywhere that I said anyone was better than anyone. I wasn't the one who brought up staying healthy. the person that did has hundreds of post about HUD using Eli wrong but now he doesn't remember that.
    I intentially put down the health/injury aspect. I'm arguing your insinuation that people that have seen both athletes play, as adult fans in both cases, are biased toward the past. I've seen that happen numerous times. It happens about as often as younger fans desire to exaggerate the here and now. There is one distinction. Those that have seen both athletes, as adult fans, are uniquely qualified to make comparisons. Brian Mitchell is the chairman of the board for UL football. and that is very unlikely to ever change. I'm open to see it happen. but I highly doubt it will happen. Brian is one of, if not the greatest, all-purpose NFLers. That comes from the NFL. not Ragin Pagin.

12. Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Let's look at the title of this thread. Best offense player of all time. Mitchell was that because he did two tasks, was in on virtually every offensive play. Never saw him looking at coach tapping his pads. He was the first player in NCAA history to run for three thousand and pass for four thousand.

Toughest player ever. Sprained his ankle va TooLame but still beat them. Never played SBC teams like GaSt, N Texas, USA. yea he had some 1AA games. But in there still had BAMA,and multiple P5 teams a season. Lots of elite G5 teams of the time. USM lead by Farbe. Yea, he won that in Hattiesburg, Rice SWC,ECU.

What has Eli done since Harris left? Very good to OK, I'd say. Yes we get back to durability.

Eli backers, don't think I'm trashing him, or Fenroy as runner ups. How could Mitchell be the GOAT if they were not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I intentially put down the health/injury aspect. I'm arguing your insinuation that people that have seen both athletes play, as adult fans in both cases, are biased toward the past. I've seen that happen numerous times. It happens about as often as younger fans desire to exaggerate the here and now. There is one distinction. Those that have seen both athletes, as adult fans, are uniquely qualified to make comparisons. Brian Mitchell is the chairman of the board for UL football. and that is very unlikely to ever change. I'm open to see it happen. but I highly doubt it will happen. Brian is one of, if not the greatest, all-purpose NFLers. That comes from the NFL. not Ragin Pagin.
    I know Brian is, he definitely had the most success but I think Eli has similar ability to have done similar things, they weren't in the same situation that's all I'm saying. Another coach in another system could have done similar things with Eli, just like A different coach in a different system could have used Brian wrong and he would have had less impact but doesn't take away from the talent he was. I credit Eli for playing hurt a lot.to me that takes a special kinda guy that has the mindset to be out there for his team no
    Matter what, they don't make many like that anymore.especially today.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I know Brian is, he definitely had the most success but I think Eli has similar ability to have done similar things, they weren't in the same situation that's all I'm saying. Another coach in another system could have done similar things with Eli, just like A different coach in a different system could have used Brian wrong and he would have had less impact but doesn't take away from the talent he was. I credit Eli for playing hurt a lot.to me that takes a special kinda guy that has the mindset to be out there for his team no
    Matter what, they don't make many like that anymore.especially today.
    It's great to place Eli up there, not just because of the numbers, with the best in UL history. But no one comes close in both the actual success, or the theoretical success. to Brian Mitchell. For a reporter or a coach to try to say otherwise. is pure foolishness. It's setting up that offensive player for a stiff second place ribbon. at best. Of course, time will try its best to diminish Brian. But as long as engaged, lucid fans are still around. that saw him in person. and his challengers. reality will quickly come to the forefront.

And make no mistake. coming in second to Brian Mitchell is a monsterously lofty ambition. But no coach or reporter should be talking "greatest UL offensive player ever" if they did not personally watch Brian Mitchell. They come very close to making fools of themselves. And with both parties in question trying to keep their own legacy at UL from becoming tarnished. they should ask more questions of others than making bold public statements.

B. Mitchell by far. Eli is an excellent player, although I was expecting better performances in his last 2 years here. The coaching failure has a lot to do with it and lack of a productive QB hasn't helped along with a weak OL. Too many issues for Eli to overcome and shine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information