Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

I love Eli, but Brian Mitchell is our best player ever, hands down. He'll be our first NFL Hall of Famer one day too.

2. UL Football Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Eli had the potential to be the greatest offensive player in UL history, but injuries and misuse (he is not a 3 yards between the tackle type of guy) have not negated that possibility. His first couple of years were nothing short of amazing, and Harris was a perfect stable mate for him. Once Harris was gone, they tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. I hope he can get healthy and give us another flash of what he can do before the year is out. A healthy Eli could have had 250 yards against TSU.
    Reliability separates the greats from not so greats. No doubt Eli is incredible, but from the players I have seen, nobody at UL has or approaches Mitchell for talent, big moments, reliability. Staying healthy cannot be overvalued.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Reliability separates the greats from not so greats. No doubt Eli is incredible, but from the players I have seen, nobody at UL has or approaches Mitchell for talent, big moments, reliability. Staying healthy cannot be overvalued.
    Eli didn't have a problem staying healthy when Harris was here, if Brian was asked to run between the tackles 30 times a game behind a subpar OL he may have had problems staying healthy too. Correctly using a players talents cannot be overvalued.

4. UL Football Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Eli didn't have a problem staying healthy when Harris was here, if Brian was asked to run between the tackles 30 times a game behind a subpar OL he may have had problems staying healthy too. Correctly using a players talents cannot be overvalued.
    The Prophet has had problems every year to one degree or another. I think he had a turf toe in his second year that limited him. Brian Mitchell was one tough hombre dude, did you ever see him play live? He was absolutely the man of steel. The only injury he ever suffered that limited him was a sprained ankle and he overcame that and played great.

The Prophet has had problems every year to one degree or another. I think he had a turf toe in his second year that limited him. Brian Mitchell was one tough hombre dude, did you ever see him play live? He was absolutely the man of steel. The only injury he ever suffered that limited him was a sprained ankle and he overcame that and played great.
    How many games has Eli sat out? Guys in the NFL miss half seasons for turf toe.

6. UL Football Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

I guess you are looking for excuses. I like the prophet, I would put him on Mitchell's teams. I would put him on any team as a running back, we are talking the GOAT of UL and it is Mitchell.

I guess you are looking for excuses. I like the prophet, I would put him on Mitchell's teams. I would put him on any team as a running back, we are talking the GOAT of UL and it is Mitchell.
    No excuses, just don't care that you are ensuating that McGuire isn't tough. What's harder? to play healthy or play hurt? There is never anyway to accurately compare different eras, coaches, systems etc. You Gabe no way of knowing how they would perform if they swapped places. They are both incredible athletes, both tough and play different positions. It's funny though that the new guy is never as good as the guy from back in the day.never in any discussion no matter who is being discussed or discussing it.

I agree that Mitchell is the best offensive player we've ever had, but having this discussion without even a mention of Tyrell Fenroy seems odd

And Brandon Stokley wasn't too shabby either.

You are picking first for your all time UL football team. You have the very first pick. Who do you pick?

I take Brian Mitchell. And if you don't, I smile and take him second.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    You are picking first for your all time UL football team. You have the very first pick. Who do you pick?

I take Brian Mitchell. And if you don't, I smile and take him second.
    Is HUD the coach? Bustle? Stokley? HUD might put Mitchell at guard.

11. Default

No excuses, just don't care that you are ensuating that McGuire isn't tough. What's harder? to play healthy or play hurt? There is never anyway to accurately compare different eras, coaches, systems etc. You Gabe no way of knowing how they would perform if they swapped places. They are both incredible athletes, both tough and play different positions. It's funny though that the new guy is never as good as the guy from back in the day.never in any discussion no matter who is being discussed or discussing it.
    I didn't mention the Prophets injuries until you or someone brought it up as a defense. Then you blame Hud for his injuries this year by running him multiple times into the teeth of the defense. He got injured on a breakaway touchdown vs the Lamers this year, not a charge into the middle of the line.

Actually I seem to recall he came to UL injured, and we repaired him after his sophomore season.

You really have no idea what Mitchell did, the teams he beat, and how competitive hie lead the Cajuns to be with P5, and premier G5 teams. Don't give me another era BS. Again to say Mitchell is the UL GOAT takes away nothing from the Prophet, Fenroy,or the great Jake Delhome.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Nonsense. Do you know how many great athletes played here? Nothing is being taken away from Eli by crediting Brian Mitchell. Brian is by a very long shot the greatest football player to ever play at UL. If you weren't around to see him. as an adult. you have no opinion to give in this. He would have been an SEC RB. He wanted to be a college QB. He plays QB his entire college football career. setting the combined rushing/passing record of all time. in years we played the hardest schedules we've ever played. He then goes on to be drafted as a RB in the NFL. He owns numerous NFL records. No one can ever say enough about how great he was. He even covered NFL kick offs and punts, was the first man downfield, and literally knocked kickoff returners out. He was regarded by the Redskins head coach to be the most valuable player he ever coached. Eli is a great athlete. but he is way behind Brian in the body of work to even discuss this topic. The "tough stuff" earlier shouldn't be argued. But if you saw Brian, you'd know he was the man of steel. among the men of steel.

I didn't mention the Prophets injuries until you or someone brought it up as a defense. Then you blame Hud for his injuries this year by running him multiple times into the teeth of the defense. He got injured on a breakaway touchdown vs the Lamers this year, not a charge into the middle of the line.

Actually I seem to recall he came to UL injured, and we repaired him after his sophomore season.

You really have no idea what Mitchell did, the teams he beat, and how competitive hie lead the Cajuns to be with P5, and premier G5 teams. Don't give me another era BS. Again to say Mitchell is the UL GOAT takes away nothing from the Prophet, Fenroy,or the great Jake Delhome.
    Staying healthy cannot be overvalued? Who said that? And how many games has he missed through all the injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Nonsense. Do you know how many great athletes played here? Nothing is being taken away from Eli by crediting Brian Mitchell. Brian is by a very long shot the greatest football player to ever play at UL. If you weren't around to see him. as an adult. you have no opinion to give in this. He would have been an SEC RB. He wanted to be a college QB. He plays QB his entire college football career. setting the combined rushing/passing record of all time. in years we played the hardest schedules we've ever played. He then goes on to be drafted as a RB in the NFL. He owns numerous NFL records. No one can ever say enough about how great he was. He even covered NFL kick offs and punts, was the first man downfield, and literally knocked kickoff returners out. He was regarded by the Redskins head coach to be the most valuable player he ever coached. Eli is a great athlete. but he is way behind Brian in the body of work to even discuss this topic. The "tough stuff" earlier shouldn't be argued. But if you saw Brian, you'd know he was the man of steel. among the men of steel.
    honestly, read the sequence of post again and see what I was saying. Or anywhere that I said anyone was better than anyone. I wasn't the one who brought up staying healthy. the person that did has hundreds of post about HUD using Eli wrong but now he doesn't remember that.

15. Default

Staying healthy cannot be overvalued? Who said that? And how many games has he missed through all the injuries
    That's an answer to Crawfish who should know better than his comments.

Prophet missed two and for all basic purposes three this year. He was also slowed in his sophomore season due to ongoing problems from a high school injury that we fixed before the start of 2015.

So three games, and less than full speed his sophomore year where he still did outstanding things.

You're excused from class as you missed out on professor Mitchell lectures.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information