Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

1. Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Let's not get carried away, Boomer. McGuire is a good receiver, but he ain't no Brandon Stokley.
    ---I think he could be better---MCG is bigger and stronger and faster---he has better elevation---he cuts better---should block better because of his size---has no fear like Stoke ---hands are as good---would have better yardage after catch---could run reverses better and throws better!!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---I think he could be better---MCG is bigger and stronger and faster---he has better elevation---he cuts better---should block better because of his size---has no fear like Stoke ---hands are as good---would have better yardage after catch---could run reverses better and throws better!!!
    Boomer, you DO know that Brandon ran a certified 4.35 and was the fastest player on every NFL team he played for, don't You? Eli's body of work is nowhere near large enough to say his hands are as good as the guy Peyton Manning called the best slot receiver in the NFL. And McGuire is NOT faster than Stokely.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Boomer, you DO know that Brandon ran a certified 4.35 and was the fastest player on every NFL team he played for, don't You? Eli's body of work is nowhere near large enough to say his hands are as good as the guy Peyton Manning called the best slot receiver in the NFL. And McGuire is NOT faster than Stokely.
    I can almost give Hud a pass for talking up his best NFL prospect. especially being that Eli didn't enter the draft and gave Hud another year. As for Brandon, people need to realize who he competed against (for the WR slot position) over his career. The NFL didn't give a rats ___ that his dad was the coach here. Brandon was a tremendous slot receiver. I had a guy at work laugh at me right before the Seahawks played the Saints. He clowned with me for being a Cajuns homer. Then he watched the game. Then he read what both Manning and Hasselbeck said (greatest slot receiver ever). Brandon fought massive injury in the NFL. No one comes back from shredding their Achilles' tendon and then gets back in and wins their job back. The dude is gifted. I hope and pray Eli is an NFL player that has as many say as much about him. But until that day comes, people need to temper their comments. But again. Hud probably gets a pass. Eli has taken bullets for Hud. Hud should jump on a grenade for Eli.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5242

Regardless, of his speed, or his clocked time in the 40, the guy was a special talent.

Quote Originally Posted by stpacronym View Post
    http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5242

Regardless, of his speed, or his clocked time in the 40, the guy was a special talent.
    Brandon did not run well (for him) at the combine; not that 4.49 is shabby.

You guys really aren't giving Eli as much credit as he deserves. He definitely belongs in the discussion as best offensive player ever at UL. By far the best RB we've ever had, and if he'd have played WR, he would probably have been the best there too.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    You guys really aren't giving Eli as much credit as he deserves. He definitely belongs in the discussion as best offensive player ever at UL. By far the best RB we've ever had, and if he'd have played WR, he would probably have been the best there too.
    A QB gets the ball every snap, a good workhorse RB gets 30-40% of the plays

8. Default Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

If he is faster than McG remove the speed element from my comments----tell you another thing---Both played basketball and that gives receivers a huge advantage in reading coverages----and please I take NOTHING away from Stoke!!!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

He is not "by far" the best RB ever at UL. He is in the argument against Fenroy. And just as you say he could have been the best WR at UL, Mitchell could have just as likely been the best RB had he played that as his primary position. Eli deserves to be discussed as one of the top greatest offensive athletes. but if the coach of 6 years (with 6 years awareness of our program) pegs him as "the greatest ever". it gets a little sticky. and it should.

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    With some time to reflect on Elijah McGuire making it to the top of another list in the UL record book, UL coach Mark Hudspeth suggested the senior running back has put himself in some rare air.

I can't pick best of all time. But, I can pick best over decade.

2010s = Eli McGuire
    2000s = Tyrell Fenroy
    1990s = Jake Delhomme
    1980s = Brian Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    I can't pick best of all time. But, I can pick best over decade.

2010s = Eli McGuire
    2000s = Tyrell Fenroy
    1990s = Jake Delhomme
    1980s = Brian Mitchell
    70's = Roy Henry?
    60's = Boomer? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    He is not "by far" the best RB ever at UL. He is in the argument against Fenroy. And just as you say he could have been the best WR at UL, Mitchell could have just as likely been the best RB had he played that as his primary position. Eli deserves to be discussed as one of the top greatest offensive athletes. but if the coach of 6 years (with 6 years awareness of our program) pegs him as "the greatest ever". it gets a little sticky. and it should.
    I don't think many people would argue about who was better between Fenroy and Eli. Can you possibly envision what Eli would do if he had Mike D running the zone read. I love Fenroy but Eli is on another level.

UL Football Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Against Rice in 1988.a DT
    I remember that play Brian cleaned that DL clock so hard it knocked the LB out of the way also BRIAN MITCHELL best ever end of discussion

14. UL Football Re: Is running back McGuire UL's greatest offensive player?

I don't think many people would argue about who was better between Fenroy and Eli. Can you possibly envision what Eli would do if he had Mike D running the zone read. I love Fenroy but Eli is on another level.
    Can't compare the two really, Fenroy ran where Eli has problems, and he did it over and over. Eli is better in open spaces. Fenroy will have played fewer games due to bowls, and still Eli will have to have five great games to catch him.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Can't compare the two really, Fenroy ran where Eli has problems, and he did it over and over. Eli is better in open spaces. Fenroy will have played fewer games due to bowls, and still Eli will have to have five great games to catch him.
    He ran in a totally different offense. Fenroy and Harris both would have struggled running the ball up the middle last year. Having a QB that is a true run threat only helps the RB.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information