Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coaches Salaries

Default Re: Coaches Salaries

A school simply must have a cheaper buyout than the full cost of the contract. To be on the hook for the full amount is ridiculous. The coach always has a cheaper cost to get out of the contract. To not have it in there for the school shows how inept the administration is.

2. Default Re: Coaches Salaries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Kinda funny how not one person said it was a horrible deal when it happened.

I suppose the only logical answer is to limit our coaches salaries to like ~$250,000. This is surely the best path to success at the D1 level.
    Because it wasn't. It was back pay.

For it to truly be a good deal, then with increased salary the buyout should go down, not up.

I suppose the only logical answer is to limit our coaches salaries to like ~$250,000. This is surely the best path to success at the D1 level.
    noone is saying we shouldn't pay our coach, I just hope whoever our next coach is we do not get in spot where we can't afford to buy out his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I can tell how much he enjoyed it from his positive post of the 5 things he takes from the events---Can't believe all the posts on here about Hud's salary when Tulane was in the process of getting him for a higher amount and the same posters were coming down on Farmer for maybe losing him

-he got T-Joe to up the amount to keep him and didn't see people upset at that happening!!!

Hindsight is always 20/20. But it is a bad contract. Yes fans overreacted in a positive nature when we went to 4 bowls in 4 years. As did Tjoke and IdiotFarmer. But Tjoke and idiot farmer were more worried about losing Hud to a P5 program than they were worried about the downside. That is on them for not weighing the full costs of the contract. Jimmy Sexton did horrible things to Tjoke and IdiotFarmer, and all of them would be considered illegal in all 53 states according to Obummer.

That contract is on Tjoke and idiotFarmer - period end of sentence. Hud is WAY OVERPAID. At the time it seemed like the prudent thing to do, but they left UL's backside exposed. SO no, we would not change the feelings and emotions felt during the bowl wins, but sadly they no longer count. And when it's time to face facts and deal with contracts, facts are all that matter. And a transparent AD in negotiations would have stated to the fans and public if we lost Hud that things were close, but the contract if Hud faltered would have crippled this program, like it is now.

5. Default Re: Coaches Salaries

Things don't always have to be either/or.
    Sometimes, both can be true.

Did Hudspeth deserve a raise? Based on accomplishment, yes he did.
    Does he deserve criticism for underperforming that raise? Based on record and a mult-faceted set of examples, yes he does.

Was it a bad contract? That's debatable. At present state, the value is not there. Even if we return to 4 straight NOLA Bowls, is that worth a million dollars a year?

An argument can be made that a million bucks a year should get you better than finishing out of the top spot in the sports weakest conference, absolutely anhilated by any team in the top 50 at least 2-3 times a year, and a two hour drive to play in a lower tier bowl game. To be clear, it was wonderful and the experience will stay with fans forever, but those successes should be building blocks, not end goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I can tell how much he enjoyed it from his positive post of the 5 things he takes from the events---Can't believe all the posts on here about Hud's salary when Tulane was in the process of getting him for a higher amount and the same posters were coming down on Farmer for maybe losing him

-he got T-Joe to up the amount to keep him and didn't see people upset at that happening!!!

I disagreed with the length of the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Things don't always have to be either/or.
    Sometimes, both can be true.

Did Hudspeth deserve a raise? Based on accomplishment, yes he did.
    Does he deserve criticism for underperforming that raise? Based on record and a mult-faceted set of examples, yes he does.

Was it a bad contract? That's debatable. At present state, the value is not there. Even if we return to 4 straight NOLA Bowls, is that worth a million dollars a year?

An argument can be made that a million bucks a year should get you better than finishing out of the top spot in the sports weakest conference, absolutely anhilated by any team in the top 50 at least 2-3 times a year, and a two hour drive to play in a lower tier bowl game. To be clear, it was wonderful and the experience will stay with fans forever, but those successes should be building blocks, not end goals.
    Seems a catch 22, we need to show conferences we are spending more, but spending more doesnt always get you more? Hmmm i woukd wager some of the 70 or so million being spent by some p5 coukd probably get the same result with less than 50, but they are trying to price us out

8. Default Re: Coaches Salaries

Quote Originally Posted by FSF View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20. But it is a bad contract. Yes fans overreacted in a positive nature when we went to 4 bowls in 4 years.
    Your hindsight isn't 20/20

There is no such thing as overreacting when trying to secure success. Especially when it involves 4 straight bowl victories after a 40 year appearance drought.

If anyone is guilty of anything it is our combined inability to foretell that money would make Hudspeth extremely conservative.

^This. You're making too much sense Reb. Stop it.

You're right it's more like 20/10 !!!

There is when you don't account for the possible downside to a situation. Would you clean out you bank acct and go play the World Series of poker just because you beat all your neighbors in the weekly game? No because you account for the possible downside.

I don't think the million per year made Hud conservative, I think it made him lazy and narcissistic. Again, I don't fault Hud for getting his paper, or anyone else for that matter (Brock Oswieler 😊 ), but I fault the powers that be that only account for the positives and forget that negatives in every contract should be accounted for. I hope Tjoke learned the cliché that if you thinks it's expensive to hire a professional, hire an amateur and find out. Because that's what we have w idiotFarmer.

11. Default Re: Coaches Salaries

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Your hindsight isn't 20/20

There is no such thing as overreacting when trying to secure success. Especially when it involves 4 straight bowl victories after a 40 year appearance drought.

If anyone is guilty of anything it is our combined inability to foretell that money would make Hudspeth extremely conservative.
    ---Again the problem lies in the guys that were projected to come not playing on the field---Still waiting for Cajun T--to give us a list of names---Come on T, do it for discussion---BTW I finally am off Scout!!!

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

We overpaid Hudspeth because he was winning with players that were recruited to UL by Bustle. That's something Bustle was never able to do, so we were all so euphoric that we overreacted.

Since Hudspeth has had to start playing with his own recruits, he's losing. Today, Tulane and La Tech are both able to out recruit UL in Louisiana, even though this is Hudspethw's 6th year.

Hold that ropesoap-on-a-rope, that is, and whatever you do, DON'T DROP IT!

13. Default Re: Coaches Salaries

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    We overpaid Hudspeth because he was winning with players that were recruited to UL by Bustle. That's something Bustle was never able to do, so we were all so euphoric that we overreacted. . !
    That has been the blanket narrative (I'm guilty too) but at most it is diminishingly accurate.

Since I helped spread the blanket, let me fine tune the Bustle player impact.

I haven't run actual numbers so the percentages below are based on a range from full classes being redshirted to no players ever being redshirted.

Bustle Players on Hudspeth's teams:

Year 1: 80-75%
    Year 2: 60-50%
    Year 3: 40-25%
    Year 4: 20-0% (redshirts only)

For the most part Hudspeth did win without Bustle players.

It is ironic that he hasn't won since the number hit zero.

if the consensus is coach a. is better at recruiting and coach b. better at motivating, is it not possible to have a system that incorporates two coaches? there are ten spots on the staff are there not?

and if Hud is deficient in recruiting, one sentiment seems to be he is not winning the recruiting contest against other schools, or is it that he is a "good recruiter", i.e. gets who he wants, its just that he is a poor talent scout and wants the wrong players?

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/alabama-.owl-suspension

we might have to face this guy in 2018, or we might not? longer suspension in bama for skittles than for marijuana or guns, gotta luv it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information