Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hudspeth: Jennings did what was asked vs. Mountaineers

1. UL Football Hudspeth: Jennings did what was asked vs. Mountaineers

Cajuns quarterback had turnover-free outing for first time in four games

Default Re: Hudspeth: Jennings did what was asked vs. Mountaineers

So apparently scoring points was not something Jennings and the O was asked to do.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hud has to know there's a correlation between Jennings being limited in play options, less turnover potential, AND no points scored. Hud has an unhealthy obsession with turnovers. Does Hud realize that the " turnover battle" gets awarded nothing at the end of a contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Hud has to know there's a correlation between Jennings being limited in play options, less turnover potential, AND no points scored. Hud has an unhealthy obsession with turnovers. Does Hud realize that the " turnover battle" gets awarded nothing at the end of a contest?
    Apparently Hud's an idiot. I will give him props for finally admitting that his offensive game plan is just that - offensive to the football savvy. But he still need to apologize publicly for throwing the players under the bus, but he still doesn't get it. Next, why in the world would you ever say he did exactly what he was asked to do? So he was asked to lose a game? Or did you just admit that you're not asking him to do much? So you don't think he can handle the entire playbook? He graduated in 3.5 years, AJ is quite intelligent. Hud quit naming players on the record you dolt! Take the blame, say things like "We as coaches limited the opportunities because we coached scared in the first half." " We thought we saw something on film that we thought we could exploit, and App St made the necessary changes to fill that void." I know reporters are going to ask you questions about personnel- just never answer those questions on the record. Then if a reporter compromises that trust just once, quit giving them any off the record answers. How can a guy getting $1MM a year not figure that out?

I believe Hud knew we didn't stand a chance against App State, and Jennings turning the ball over would have just made it worse. If Hud would have had Jennings play like this all season we would be 4-2 not 2-4. The only reason we lost to Tulane and NMST was bad turnovers. We are better or just as good as the rest of the teams on our schedule except Georgia. Hud knows that. If we can play turn over free or close to it, we can win out in conference play. App State was all and all a way better team.

If UL played every game offensively like app state we'd be 1-5 at best maybe even 0-6.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Turnovers are important to the end result of just about any game. You ask any coach or player and they will repeat that sentiment without hesitation. We all know your stance on them but you need to acknowledge the importance of possession of the football, particularly, for a team that thrives on possession and balance with little big play punch such as ours. Sure, a team with a stud defense or a team that can score from anywhere on the field at any time can overcome the occasional mishap but your chances of victory are ALWAYS much higher when you take care of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by FSF View Post
    Apparently Hud's an idiot. I will give him props for finally admitting that his offensive game plan is just that - offensive to the football savvy. But he still need to apologize publicly for throwing the players under the bus, but he still doesn't get it. Next, why in the world would you ever say he did exactly what he was asked to do? So he was asked to lose a game? Or did you just admit that you're not asking him to do much? So you don't think he can handle the entire playbook? He graduated in 3.5 years, AJ is quite intelligent. Hud quit naming players on the record you dolt! Take the blame, say things like "We as coaches limited the opportunities because we coached scared in the first half." " We thought we saw something on film that we thought we could exploit, and App St made the necessary changes to fill that void." I know reporters are going to ask you questions about personnel- just never answer those questions on the record. Then if a reporter compromises that trust just once, quit giving them any off the record answers. How can a guy getting $1MM a year not figure that out?
    I think its quite clear that he asked him not to do too much. He didn't throw him under the bus. Not sure what the rant is about.

Why have turnovers attained this mythical status, so far above all the other relevant stats? Like yards for, yards against, first downs, and that crazy metric POINTS.

Turnovers correlate, somewhat, to winning. Correlation does not mean causation, though. The better team usually wins. Better at the majority of football tasks. It follows that those teams will more often than not turn it over less. Chasing no or low turnovers, is a recipe for defending yourself on offense. Risk none, win none.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Why have turnovers attained this mythical status, so far above all the other relevant stats? Like yards for, yards against, first downs, and that crazy metric POINTS.

Turnovers correlate, somewhat, to winning. Correlation does not mean causation, though. The better team usually wins. Better at the majority of football tasks. It follows that those teams will more often than not turn it over less. Chasing no or low turnovers, is a recipe for defending yourself on offense. Risk none, win none.
    I agree for the most part. They are crucial to the flow and outcome of a game but you have to run your offense in attack mode. I rarely see truly successful teams that don't attack the defense. I would love to see us approach a game offensively like we did in 2011 in the NOLA bowl or 2012 for that matter. We came out slinging passes and holding little back in those games and they were some of the most exciting cajun games I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I agree for the most part. They are crucial to the flow and outcome of a game but you have to run your offense in attack mode. I rarely see truly successful teams that don't attack the defense. I would love to see us approach a game offensively like we did in 2011 in the NOLA bowl or 2012 for that matter. We came out slinging passes and holding little back in those games and they were some of the most exciting cajun games I've ever seen.
    I agree, they can be crucial. So is not converting that third down when you really need to because you are afraid to turn it overthen punting. So is not scoring a TD in the red zone because you are scared to turn it over, and you run 3 times into the line. Turnovers can be crucial. So can any number of other factors. We magnify the consequences of turnovers when we allow them to dictate our offense.

Turnovers are important to the end result of just about any game. You ask any coach or player and they will repeat that sentiment without hesitation. We all know your stance on them but you need to acknowledge the importance of possession of the football, particularly, for a team that thrives on possession and balance with little big play punch such as ours. Sure, a team with a stud defense or a team that can score from anywhere on the field at any time can overcome the occasional mishap but your chances of victory are ALWAYS much higher when you take care of the ball.
    You can be shut out and completely dominated, and win the turnover battle. It happened to us twice this year. Possession only matter when you have something to work with.

13. Default Re: Hudspeth: Jennings did what was asked vs. Mountaineers

I think its quite clear that he asked him not to do too much. He didn't throw him under the bus. Not sure what the rant is about.
    I know, huh?

I view App,State as a slow rollout rest button starting with turnovers.

This week will be fun.

The rant is probably about the quote "AJ did everything we asked him to do" he scored no points and it was obvious the coaches didn't trust him to take a shots deep or throw anything in the middle of the field. If that is what they continue to ask of there QB they won't win another game.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    You can be shut out and completely dominated, and win the turnover battle. It happened to us twice this year. Possession only matter when you have something to work with.

As I've said, I realize this which is why I was referencing "Attacking the defense". I'm just saying that turnovers statistically play a much larger role in winning and losing than some want to give it credit for. People look at the Tulane game and say that our anemic offense led us to lose but many of us here have stated that the turnovers cost us the most since they directly led to points. You could possibly say the same thing for the NMSU game especially with the pick 6 in there.

I would rather attack the defense and make mistakes along the way rather than dumb down everything on offense and give the defense the upper hand.

The answer likely lies somewhere in the middle and even HUD has to realize that good offense is a calculated risk. We can't run dives and bubble screens all the way to a 10 win season. I know our OL sucks but you can still get AJ out of the pocket and get him making plays with his feet if there is nothing there through the air. Playaction? What about RB screens to get Calais and Eli out in the open field?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information