Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL Baseball

UL Baseball UL Baseball

Amid all of this Saints hysteria, I could not help but ponder about our upcoming baseball season. What,at one point, was the pearl of Ragin' Cajun athletics, has caught Bustleitis. Two years ago, we were preseason #19, and have not sniffed acknowledgment since. Rightfully so, because we really have been mediocre in a bad conference. But, with a lighter schedule and a deep pitching staff, this could be the year we get out of this recent "rut" that we find ourselves in. Hopefully, we find ourselves talking about a high seed in the conference tournament at the end of the year instead of being swept back to Lafayette by our little step-brother(ULM). Any thoughts?

Sunbelt Re: UL Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by bleedred11 View Post
    _ Rightfully so, because we really have been mediocre in a bad conference. Any thoughts? _
    The Sun Belt is hands down one of the top 6 conferences in Division-I college baseball. We are one of only 6 conferences to send multiple teams to the first round of regional play for the last 20 years! 1) SEC 2) Big 12 3) ACC 4)Pac-10 5) Big West 6) Sun Belt. My numbers might be off a little but not by much. We are a VERY respected baseball conference.

Default Re: UL Baseball

Amid all of this Saints hysteria, I could not help but ponder about our upcoming baseball season. What,at one point, was the pearl of Ragin' Cajun athletics, has caught Bustleitis. Two years ago, we were preseason #19, and have not sniffed acknowledgment since. Rightfully so, because we really have been mediocre in a bad conference. But, with a lighter schedule and a deep pitching staff, this could be the year we get out of this recent "rut" that we find ourselves in. Hopefully, we find ourselves talking about a high seed in the conference tournament at the end of the year instead of being swept back to Lafayette by our little step-brother(ULM). Any thoughts?
    My thoughts SBC is not close to being a bad baseball conference.

Yes, to be more specific, the Sun Belts RPI last year was 7th behind the before mentioned and C USA. Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee made regionals, both picking up W's.

No this isn't football where we're the new conference on the block trying to earn respect.

The cajuns were 27-30-1 last year and still had an RPI of 93 because of the conference and sos. I don't know how many teams had losing records in the top 100, but it cant be many.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    _ Yes, to be more specific, the Sun Belts RPI last year was 7th behind the before mentioned and C USA.
    Good point, I forgot about C-USA. That would put the Belt at or around #7 overall.

_ Amid all of this Saints hysteria, I could not help but ponder about our upcoming baseball season. What,at one point, was the pearl of Ragin' Cajun athletics, has caught Bustleitis. Two years ago, we were preseason #19, and have not sniffed acknowledgment since. Rightfully so, because we really have been mediocre in a bad conference. But, with a lighter schedule and a deep pitching staff, this could be the year we get out of this recent "rut" that we find ourselves in. Hopefully, we find ourselves talking about a high seed in the conference tournament at the end of the year instead of being swept back to Lafayette by our little step-brother(ULM). Any thoughts? _
    Bad conference? You need to pay closer attention to SBC baseball.

Maybe our standards are different, but I do not consider one World Series team in ten years good. Perhaps that is the problem with this conference:our definition of "good" is not the same as everyone else.

Maybe our standards are different, but I do not consider one World Series team in ten years good. Perhaps that is the problem with this conference:our definition of "good" is not the same as everyone else.
    By all measures typically used. Conference RPI, ISR, inter-conference games, and post season apperances the SBC is a good baseball conference.

There are thirty baseball conferences today in NCAA Div. 1 and only thirteen conferences have more than two apperances in the CWS since 1947. The SBC has two as the Cajuns and UNO each have an apperance.

Your definition is the one that is not in line with "everyone else". Being ranked consistently in the top ten out of thirty conferences is good.

Think of it this way. Do you believe that SBC softball should be considered a good conference? After all the conference (based on current membership) can claim a number of WCWS apperances. All by one team but that certainly doesn't qualify us as a good softball conference. On the flip side I don't think you can judge the SBC as a bad baseball conference because we only have two CWS apperances.

_ Maybe our standards are different, but I do not consider one World Series team in ten years good. Perhaps that is the problem with this conference:our definition of "good" is not the same as everyone else. _
    My comment had nothing to do with UL baseball. It had everything to do with Sun Belt baseball and how it's not a laughing stock conference (you labeling it bad) by any measure.

_ Maybe our standards are different, but I do not consider one World Series team in ten years good. Perhaps that is the problem with this conference:our definition of "good" is not the same as everyone else. _
    That's like saying any basketball conference that doesn't send a team to the Final Four more than once in 10 years is a bad basketball conference.

Disregard my previous post.I miss read your sentence. I see your point but I think it goes a little deeper than just one CWS team in 10 years.

Hey,maybe that is why we have not seen much success around here. Our fans apparently do not mind the results we have been seeing.While some of you are enjoying mediocrity, the rest of us will continue to wait for progress.

_ Hey,maybe that is why we have not seen much success around here. Our fans apparently do not mind the results we have been seeing.While some of you are enjoying mediocrity, the rest of us will continue to wait for progress. _
    I bet myself $1000 after reading your previous posts you would bust out the old accepting mediocrity line and I won! What part of this do you not understand: The SBC is in the top 3rd of baseball conferences. By definition top 3rd is not mediocre. I also don't see how this established fact means fans are happy with how the baseball team is doing.
    Almost everyone who posts here and follows the program wants and expects more out of UL baseball.

Well HOUCajun, if the boot fits. We will be labeled that until proven otherwise.

_ Well HOUCajun, if the boot fits. We will be labeled that until proven otherwise. _
    Labeled as what? We are not satisfied with what we've seen and the staff isnt either. We're in a pretty darn good conference, but its not an excuse to be where we've been the last 2 years or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information