Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Follow-up to emergency notification

1. Default Follow-up to emergency notification

At 3:58 p.m., University Police received a report of a man with something that resembled the grip of a handgun in his waistband. He was reported outside the Student Union near residence halls.

University Police and City Police immediately searched the building while an emergency notification was issued. Officers did not find anyone who fit that description. An all-clear message was issued.

Police officers continued to search the campus and reviewed surveillance videotape of the area.

More.

Louisiana.edu

Default Re: Follow-up to emergency notification

I hear so much about second amendment, why didnt they just assume he had the proper permit

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    I hear so much about second amendment, why didnt they just assume he had the proper permit
    School zones are no carry zones, permit or no permit.

Cool. But ive seen same thing happen in non school zones. When exactly does the permit come in to play?

Cool. But ive seen same thing happen in non school zones. When exactly does the permit come in to play?
    Like most issues there are many variables but in Louisiana a concealed carry permit is just that. If you have a permit but are careless in the concealment of the handgun, technically you are in violation of the permit and you are at the mercy of the authorities, mostly the DA in your jurisdiction. If I am incorrect any law enforcement and/or attorneys that frequent RP I'm sure will correct me.

The Louisiana State Police website has a section dedicated to this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    Like most issues there are many variables but in Louisiana a concealed carry permit is just that. If you have a permit but are careless in the concealment of the handgun, technically you are in violation of the permit and you are at the mercy of the authorities, mostly the DA in your jurisdiction. If I am incorrect any law enforcement and/or attorneys that frequent RP I'm sure will correct me.

Unless you play for bama? Or lsu?

Why conceal carry? That is above an beyond, most normal permits i thoight were open carry

Why conceal carry? That is above an beyond, most normal permits i thoight were open carry
    In states that allow open carry a permit is not required to carry (to my knowledge) where it is legal to do so but you can in most cases expect to be questioned, unless you're in places like Alaska, etc.

The reason for a concealed carry permit? Self explanatory.

In states that allow open carry a permit is not required to carry (to my knowledge) where it is legal to do so but you can in most cases expect to be questioned, unless you're in places like Alaska, etc.

That was my point, if not required then why do cops stop the alleged perp without assuming their is a permit?

How do you buy without a permit?

Texas has 1 permit for both conceal and open but to do either you must have that permit.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Texas has 1 permit for both conceal and open but to do either you must have that permit.
    Good to know. Thanks. Didn't know that. The important thing is that before we decide to do either we should check regs for the states and counties we might carry in. And check for reciprocity between states if you travel across state lines.

How do you buy without a permit?
    In Louisiana, you ARE NOT required to have a permit to buy a gun. You are required to pass the federal background check.

If a citizen wants to carry a gun openly, they may do so. However, they are required, to allow a police officer to disarm them and they are required to submit to questioning. ALL gun free zones apply to open carry.

If anyone thinks that a person who may be carrying openly will not be stop and questioned is in need of a serious reality check.

The concealed carry permit allows a person, after taking a gun safety course, applying through a lengthy process and pass a more stringent background check than just to buy a gun, to carry a gun that is concealed. The person is still bound to all no gun zones and must allow a police officer to disarm them and submit themselves for questioning.

Exercising a person's constitutional, whether it is free speech or a right to bear arms, comes with immense responsibility and should never be taken lightly.

Good to know. Thanks. Didn't know that. The important thing is that before we decide to do either we should check regs for the states and counties we might carry in. And check for reciprocity between states if you travel across state lines.
    BTW honorably discharged veterans can obtain a conceal carry permit in the state of Louisiana at no cost as long as the meet all of the criteria in the application process.

Also, a person should NEVER trust sources on the internet without verifying them. Call the LSP and discuss your concerns with them, I am sure they will be glad to help you.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuf View Post
    In Louisiana, you ARE NOT required to have a permit to buy a gun. You are required to pass the federal background check.

If a citizen wants to carry a gun openly, they may do so. However, they are required, to allow a police officer to disarm them and they are required to submit to questioning. ALL gun free zones apply to open carry.

If anyone thinks that a person who may be carrying openly will not be stop and questioned is in need of a serious reality check.

The concealed carry permit allows a person, after taking a gun safety course, applying through a lengthy process and pass a more stringent background check than just to buy a gun, to carry a gun that is concealed. The person is still bound to all no gun zones and must allow a police officer to disarm them and submit themselves for questioning.

Exercising a person's constitutional, whether it is free speech or a right to bear arms, comes with immense responsibility and should never be taken lightly.
    so if you buy without a permit, wouldn't you be illegally "open" carrying it from the store to your house that first time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information