Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Final: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

1. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    They needed a chart for that decision???
    Exactly what I was thinking But I think this is a pretty common practice.

Still though

2. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking But I think this is a pretty common practice.

Still though
    ----If you would know the time that went into the preparation for the chart, you would appreciate the wisdom of its use----but like I had posted, some of the situations are an option-----Somebody should post it on here!!!

3. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ----If you would know the time that went into the preparation for the chart, you would appreciate the wisdom of its use----but like I had posted, some of the situations are an option-----Somebody should post it on here!!!
    ---Well the only option is with 4 points--all the rest from 1-20 are given---somebody put it on here so we don't second guess the rest of the year---well except for the 4 point situation!!! lol

Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    But do you really need the chart once you call the TO? They still called the timeout prior to running the play and didn't realize what they were doing. For the life of me, I can't understand this.

6. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

That's the problem a lot of times. Coaches over complicate everything. If you can't look up at the score board and realize 11 points is a TD, 2 pt and FG; and kicking the extra point forces the opposition into having to score 2 TDs to beat you, something is wrong with that

That's the problem a lot of times. Coaches over complicate everything. If you can't look up at the score board and realize 11 points is a TD, 2 pt and FG; and kicking the extra point forces the opposition into having to score 2 TDs to beat you, something is wrong with that
    I agree! If all 5 of us sitting in our little group in the stadium could figure it out (even after drinking and tailgating all day) it seems like someone (anyone) on the sidelines should have been able to do so. HaHaHa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I agree! If all 5 of us sitting in our little group in the stadium could figure it out (even after drinking and tailgating all day) it seems like someone (anyone) on the sidelines should have been able to do so. HaHaHa!!!
    If you are a coach and you can't make a decision in this time of the game and require a list to go by, it means you are micro managing other aspects of the team and game.

Or he should let his coaches handle the heavy lifting, while he stands there and looks jacked.

What is the point of constantly doing math on the field when you can do it once, write down the situational decision and follow a simple chart? This is done by nearly every coaching staff in the country. Same way you have play charts based on down and distance. This is not something we only do here. Yes, maybe he should have caught it on the timeout, but the charts all had the wrong info. I put a lot of other failures on the staff, but this one was just a fluky thing

I agree almost every coach in the country uses a chart for this decision. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm having trouble buying that the chart was wrong. Especially, after his answer (I guess you can call it an answer) in the post game interview when he started rambling on about the NFL extra point distance.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    What is the point of constantly doing math on the field when you can do it once, write down the situational decision and follow a simple chart? This is done by nearly every coaching staff in the country. Same way you have play charts based on down and distance. This is not something we only do here. Yes, maybe he should have caught it on the timeout, but the charts all had the wrong info. I put a lot of other failures on the staff, but this one was just a fluky thing
    There is such a thing as a 2 pt. Conversion chart. Coaches have been using them since the early 1970's.I still have mine from my days at "USL" and I used it up until my retirement several years ago.

using the chart as an excuse is lame, because I am sure there are times when you go against the chart? Oregon would go for two on first TD, no matter what, don't think that was supported by the chart

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Wow! If the play is executed properly it's an easy 2pt conversion and everyone would be proclaiming it an awesome play. McGuire messed up and didn't toss it.

The time out was a waste though.
    And so? It shouldn't have down to going for two in the first place and blaming that decision on a chart is worrisome, especially since its an easy decision to NOT go for 2

15. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Live by the chart (insert conventional wisdom) die by the opponent knowing your every move.

I bet there's a chart on what play to call in certain situations.

Expose your chart loving ways and wonder why the defense knew your every move.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread Information