Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Final: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

1. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Redgineer View Post
    He was the best onside kicker I have ever seen.
    Pro teams have no idea of the weapon they passed over.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I think it's a mentality many coaches have.kickers are taken for granted. Hud and Sean Peyton are from the same mold.

Notice Stevie's kick offs were all returned after he got pulled from place kicking. Before, they were not. HUD inherited BB. He hasn't not recruited anything close, plain and simple.
    Well Steven Coutts is the best punter we have ever had period. Loved Baer, but he ain't Coutts.

We have had great kickers for a while. Comiskey and Baer are the most recent.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    First things first, best defensive effort from a Cajuns team since the Nevada bowl win. Switching to the 4-2-5 have turned Otha Peters and Tremaine Lightfoot into some monsters.
    Peters demolishes guys. I don't recall any LB hitting guys like he does. Maybe Antwyne Zanders??

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    Peters demolishes guys. I don't recall any LB hitting guys like he does. Maybe Antwyne Zanders??
    Was Tovell a LB? That dude would straight smoke people.

Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Well Steven Coutts is the best punter we have ever had period. Loved Baer, but he ain't Coutts.

We have had great kickers for a while. Comiskey and Baer are the most recent.
    +1. Hud recruits kickers. Coutts was our highest rated recruit and Artigue was not that far behind a couple of years back. Artigue has a big leg, so I would not give up on him. That said, he should sit for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCajun View Post
    Hell, at this point we should track down that kid who kicked for cash and have him strap on a helmet and some pads
    Yep Artigue was the only one to miss a kick all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Was Tovell a LB? That dude would straight smoke people.
    Good call. Geez, I already forgot about him.

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    Justin Anderson was no soft pillow. But Otha Peters is a man.

9. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I think it's a mentality many coaches have.kickers are taken for granted. Hud and Sean Peyton are from the same mold.

Notice Stevie's kick offs were all returned after he got pulled from place kicking. Before, they were not. HUD inherited BB. He hasn't not recruited anything close, plain and simple.
    ---So many variables go into the kick---early in the game the wind was blowing pretty hard for him, so that was a great distance help---later it kinda died down---notice the spin on the ball and if it is rapid it means he got underneath the sweet spot which happened a few times---Haven't heard the talk about the misses but it looked all good with the snap, placement, hold, and approach---would like to see the view from the back or front plus the side--hey it was a little wet out there---I was before the side approach playing and coaching --but MENTALLY it can be a killer, especially after a miss or two!!!

10. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---So many variables go into the kick---early in the game the wind was blowing pretty hard for him, so that was a great distance help---later it kinda died down---notice the spin on the ball and if it is rapid it means he got underneath the sweet spot which happened a few times---Haven't heard the talk about the misses but it looked all good with the snap, placement, hold, and approach---would like to see the view from the back or front plus the side--hey it was a little wet out there---I was before the side approach playing and coaching --but MENTALLY it can be a killer, especially after a miss or two!!!
    You are the bona fide expert on this topic, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Unless he thought kicking an extra point was a bigger miss risk than going for two.
    There was no risk. At all. If its blocked and returned, its the same points for the opposing team. While Artigue absolutely stunk it up all game, its still the much higher percentage play and there was no mathematical or game advantage to going for two on that play.

12. Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You are the bona fide expert on this topic, that is for sure.
    ---If it were straight on approach I would agree whole heartedly, but this is a different angle with the same goal in mind----many many things the same but a lot of different aspects!!! the Slick one should know a lot about it from close up observation however!!! Rick what do you think???

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    +1. Hud recruits kickers. Coutts was our highest rated recruit and Artigue was not that far behind a couple of years back. Artigue has a big leg, so I would not give up on him. That said, he should sit for a while.
    What does sitting do? Can't get back to form on the bench. That's like tell your kid to go stand in the cornor until I tell you to come back and play with the rest of the kids. If he is not kicking in the next game Hud is out of his mindThat's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    What does sitting do? Can't get back to form on the bench. That's like tell your kid to go stand in the cornor until I tell you to come back and play with the rest of the kids. If he is not kicking in the next game Hud is out of his mindThat's my opinion.
    Kicking is the one aspect of the game that you really can't let them "Work it out " on the field though. You can't let a guy go out and continuously miss to get back into form. The kicking game has to be tight all the time. What makes it worse is that it seems to be a confidence or mental thing which can really only be worked on in game situations. if it was a technique thing, that could possibly be fixed in practice but I fear its worse than that.

I am really surprised the best kickers wouldn't want to go to "smaller" programs. seems like you would have more opportunity to win games, with a team in middle of pack that has closer games, than a superstar team that is blowing everyone out.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread Information