Thread: Guess who gets to put Louisiana on their helmet?

1. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Guess who gets to put Louisiana on their helmet?

Sophomore fullback Joey Trappey sports the newly designed helmet Louisiana-Monroe will wear this season.

Louisiana-Monroe's lids will have a new look this fall.

Out is the arched ULM logo that has adorned the football team's helmet from 2000 to 2002.

In is "Louisiana" in cursive atop a spear with "Indians" across the brow. The new helmet logo will be the seventh the Indians have used since 1993.

"What the new logo on the side of the helmet says is, 'We're Louisiana and we're the Indians, because there's a spear with the feathers on it,' " new ULM coach Charlie Weatherbie said.

Booster Todd Martin thinks the new logo is a move in the right direction for the program.

"I am thrilled that it now says, 'Louisiana,' with the spear," Martin said. "That is great news. Wow. I'm very excited about Weatherbie and him having been at a place like Navy that is full of traditions.

"I honestly think he will install much needed tradition and brand identity at ULM."

http://thenewsstar.com/html/6DD29895.A1DB0224.shtml

I still like Ragin' Cajuns better on the helmets. I do like ULM logo.

3. Default

Can someone please explain to me why they can put just Louisiana on their helmet. Isn't that against state law? Or is that just for the real UL?

Default well

they used put indianss on the brow, which had the cajuns done something similar, we could have gotten away with it for just that fact. its called a good idea by them to renew intrest in their program.

Tuffguy

Originally posted by cajun tom
    I still like Ragin' Cajuns better on the helmets. I do like ULM logo.
    "Louisiana's logo on their helmets looks way better than Lafayette's." Unfortunately that is where we are headed with the current sell. Personally I don't like either ULM's Louisiana or our Ragin' Cajuns on helmets. Words on helmets are unreadable you need a logo to make a lasting impression, words are a dime a dozen.

6. Default

Originally posted by CajunsFan11
    Can someone please explain to me why they can put just Louisiana on their helmet. Isn't that against state law? Or is that just for the real UL?
    What ULM did is 100% legal. It can't be touched. It can't be touched by LSU, it can't be touched by the torchbearer of the UL system, and it can't be touched by the UL system.

It's legal for several reasons. The least of which is that it was an edict not a law.

More importantly the edict does not touch the subject of usage of "Louisiana" it simply attempts to govern usage of the term "University of Louisiana."

If they could rule out "Louisiana" (they can’t) then the edict would also rule out anything other than "University of Louisiana [at Monroe] [at Lafayette]" on the helmets. Ragin' Cajuns would be ruled out, Indians would not be allowed. At the core the one mascot and the other moniker refer to the respective schools.

The stand-alone term “Louisiana” is generic and is thus free for any whom so choose, to use.

However text looks cheap and I doubt this ULM hijacking of a UL idea will be readable from the stands.

Personally I prefer using a picture or silhouette of Louisiana to convey the same message. If the real Louisiana did so, it would it would be 100% legal and untouchable by LSU, the legislature, or the UL system.

7. Default

Thanks for the answer Turbine.

My biggest concern was that UL was missing the boat. If people start referring to the Indians by what they see on their helmets, UL could miss out on being informally refferred to as Louisiana, even though ULM is horrible. I guess it's whoever can build a winner soon enough (and if ULM drops to DI-AA then it's all moot anyway).

UL Football

I again go back to a poll I had on another forum and have talked about it many times. Either a red helmet or black helmet with a contrasting tapering strip down the middle outlined with our 3rd color and then a simple block letter L the color of the strip and outlined with our 3rd color should be our helmet. It says it all.

UL Football louisiana

i have a question, can someone tell me how can ULM, can have louisiana on their helmet and nothing else?
    if this University (UL-Lafayette)tried that there would be a hurricane coming out of baton rouge. i haven't heard a sound, nothing.when we put University of Louisiana, we had to put lafayette somewhere on it. "WHAT SAY YOU?" why!why!

10. Default

Originally posted by oldman
    i have a question, can someone tell me how can ULM, can have louisiana on their helmet and nothing else?
    if this University (UL-Lafayette)tried that there would be a hurricane coming out of baton rouge. i haven't heard a sound, nothing.when we put University of Louisiana, we had to put lafayette somewhere on it. "WHAT SAY YOU?" why!why!
    There is no prohibition on usage of the term "Louisiana" it is generic and carries no claim.

The prohibition only arises when "Louisiana" is tied to the term "University."

It is not to late for the real "Louisiana" to grab common usage of the term.

I say just call ourselves the University of Louisiana and let them _____.

In the end zones at cajun field they have LOUISIANA and under it is lafayette. They should have left off lafayette. Why put lafayette when it is not needed?

Alumni

DITTO

THE SLEEPER MUST AWAKEN

Some people are just plain scared.

Thread Information