Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Newman

1. Default Cliff Newman

Memories are short, the series resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wayside
    In 1984 UL decided not to renew the contrasct or to play McNeese in football ever again.

Only thing was there were two more UL-McNeese games scheduled. The existing football contract or agreement ran through the 1986 season and UL honored the agreement.

The year was 1984 and Senator Clifford Newman a McNeese Alumnus was at the heart of the decision.

The series cancellation or non renewal stemmed from the then Senators dogged vocal anti UL stance. Before the Board of Trustees voted 17-1 to change the name of their university to the University of Louisiana, they had faced stiff opposition from Lake Charles Senator Clifford Newman.

In a blatant acknowledgement of the Board of Trustees right to change the name of a school under their control he spoke vigorously against UL at their April 1984 meeting with the goal of influencing the group decision

After the vote came in 17-1 he was joined in oppositioon to UL by LSU heavy weights, but not until. It was with utter glee that he stopped the name change.
    Before the Board of Trustees voted 17-1 to change the name of their university to the University of Louisiana, they had faced stiff opposition from Lake Charles Senator Clifford Newman.

Senator Clifford Newman
    with " You can Kiss your S again ! " shirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Is playng McNeese equal to forgiveness on the name change block?

Wait a minute Turbine, don't you know that Cajun fans are just paranoid? Maybe someone cut and pasted Senator Newmanns t-shirt? Not likely, since Newmann was head of the coalition that opposed the name change from Lake Charles.

3. Default Re: Is playng McNeese equal to forgiveness on the name change block?

Apparently, this man still has a practicing law firm in Lake Charles. The next time I'm home, I may go pay him a visit. He looks like a real [bleep] hole in that picture, is that an actual representation of him?

I remember one time there was discussion about turning McNeese into the University of Louisiana at Lake Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by bigguill View Post
    _ Apparently, this man still has a practicing law firm in Lake Charles. The next time I'm home, I may go pay him a visit. He looks like a real [bleep] hole in that picture, is that an actual representation of him? _
    That was a copy of the original media release. Nothing fake about the photo of that jekal.

_ I remember one time there was discussion about turning McNeese into the University of Louisiana at Lake Charles. _
    Then they could be a satellite campus of UL just like they used to be a satellite of State.

BTW, I think you'll have to bring some flowers if you go to visit Cliff. Better yet forget the flowers, just wear a UL Ragin Cajuns shirt and dance on his grave for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Before the Board of Trustees voted 17-1 to change the name of their university to the University of Louisiana, they had faced stiff opposition from Lake Charles Senator Clifford Newman.
    Anyone know what his reason for opposing the name change was? Maybe nothing but another example of the petty, regional jealousies that keep the state of Louisiana in the toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    Anyone know what his reason for opposing the name change was? Maybe nothing but another example of the petty, regional jealousies that keep the state of Louisiana in the toilet?
    That's all it was. Newman I believe is dead. His son which I knew is also dead. Time to forget and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ That's all it was. Newman I believe is dead. His son which I knew is also dead. Time to forget and move on. _

Moving on is for losers, and we have not lost yet

_ That's all it was. Newman I believe is dead. His son which I knew is also dead. Time to forget and move on. _
    I have no problem moving on R90, but there seems to be some denial of involvement by some of the older legend fans. I think Turbine is just setting the record straight, there can be no denial of the politics that has existed over the years. Hebert's recent stunt only stirred up the animosity that has existed for years toward the administration and politicians from the Lake Charles area.

Move onyes. Forget it.no. We can't forget what happened. It's one of the many things that helps drive us forward to prove that we deserve the name UL.

_ I remember one time there was discussion about turning McNeese into the University of Louisiana at Lake Charles. _
    NEVER!

We would change the the name of Lake Charles before we changed the Name of our University.

Besides, when your this good, you don't need to change your name. (;

Default UL Name History/Old Yearbook

Someone a while back posted something about wanting to know more about the history of our long struggle to be the University of Louisiana. I couldn't find the thread, but not sure if anyone has ever uploaded this. I made a copy of this out of an old UL Yearbook while I was in school and still have it. Just thought I would share this with yall. Not sure if anyone else uploaded this to the site previously.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: UL Name History/Old Yearbook

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ Someone a while back posted something about wanting to know more about the history of our long struggle to be the University of Louisiana. I couldn't find the thread, but not sure if anyone has ever uploaded this. I made a copy of this out of an old UL Yearbook while I was in school and still have it. Just thought I would share this with yall. Not sure if anyone else uploaded this to the site previously. _
    thank you. this is excellent

14. Default Re: UL Name History/Old Yearbook

Cliff Newman still makes what hair I have left stand up.

Default Re: McNeese

If you were around for the name fight in the 80's, MACNeese, the American Press, and their mouthpiece Cliff Newman fought tooth and nail to hurt our university. It was akin to war. You DO NOT ever forget your enemy, never trusting them even if we have distanced ourselves. I'd rather tolerate the Hoax and LTUR bunch simply for that reason.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information