Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

Default Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Whoooo trankilo, take it easy
    4 bowl years were great.but we are staring down the barrel of a long down period if Hud can't yank his head out of his own ___. I say don't take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    Again, it was Stewart that beat Ole Miss with a Jacksonville St (FCS) team one year prior to coming to UL. Willis reneged on the DC job for the defending National Champs Florida St and recently has coached up a good Saints rookie LB in Stephon Anthony. Rebowe got the hell out of dodge ASAP. Wallerstedt may have said, thanks, but no thanks. This has become a habit for HUD.
    I think Stewart was ok, can't agree with Willis (bad example with Anthony, because he lost his middle LB position after starting last year). Smith's defense lacked aggression, which listening to Smith, I can see why. That man is very mellow. Sounds like a nice man, but not sure how college athletes take his leadership. Wallerstedt, we will never know for sure, but when he came on board, the defense changed dramatically. This dude seem to know what he was doing based on a very short sampling. I tend to believe Hud that he isn't dictating the defense, but he just isn't hiring a very good DC.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Yes. Same with Willis, and Stewart after a few bad outings in 2012.
    Well I think you are wrong here. I have never seen Hud be involved in the defense during games. If anything it looks like he is too hands off when it comes to the Defense. He reminds me of Shawn Payton where he only focuses on one side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I thinks Stewart was ok, can't agree with Willis (bad example with Anthony, because he lost his middle LB position after starting last year). Smith's defense lacked aggression, which listening to Smith, I can see why. That man is very mellow. Sounds like a nice man, but not sure how college athletes take his leadership. Wallerstedt, we will never know for sure, but when he came on board, the defense changed dramatically. This dude seem to know what he was doing based on a very short sampling. I tend to believe Hud that he isn't dictating the defense, but he just isn't hiring a very good DC.
    What are you going to say when Lucas doesn't field a very good defense, and the next guy? Eventually we are going to have to concede that it's not that Hud conveniently hires bad DC's.he is forcing them to run a broken system.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Well I think you are wrong here. I have never seen Hud be involved in the defense during games. If anything it looks like he is too hands off when it comes to the Defense. He reminds me of Shawn Payton where he only focuses on one side of the ball.
    Prove it.

Prove it.
    I am not the one blasting the coach and saying he runs the defensive scheme. All facts point to him not doing that. Can you prove your assertions?

I will never believe that Hud or any other head coach don't have their finger on the pulse of the defense at the very least. They may not get very hands on when it comes to many details, they are in meetings all week both positionally and team wise. They know what the Defensive coordinator is planning and I have to think that they at least want to give it a preliminary OK before its implemented. After all, all head coaches know damned well that its their job on the line ultimately if the product on the field does not respond.

I will always believe that Hud has agreed to allow this crappy 3-2-6 defense we have installed and ran fruitlessly last weekend and I will also feel that he has a hand in knowing and deciding personnel as well.

In 2012 during 4th or 5th game of the year, I recall Hud took over defense from Stewart and switched us to a 4-3 at halftime. Hud was frustrated we weren't setting an edge on defense. Stewart was gone at years end. Bet you can look up newscopy regarding this. It was then part of the growing Hud legend. I still like the guy, but he made a mistake not dismissing Smith after last year. If he was on that short a leash he shouldn't have been retained. This early season firing was extraordinary enough to garner some national coverage. Not absurd to assume some out of the ordinary event would precipitate it, especially when paired with an unusual siting of coach Smith. I do now think the story is coach Smith was retained too long out of sentimentality, and he walks around like a lost goose.Hud made a mistake with this hire and kept him too long. If the Cajuns visualize facing a team of Penrod's under head coach Penrod from here on out, I might have salvaged the season and rejuvenated Hud's career.
    As a Cajun's fan, with a measly (pun intended) lone red dot to my name I am proud to matter.

9. Default Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Prove it.
    He just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    He just did.
    Not really.

I am not the one blasting the coach and saying he runs the defensive scheme. All facts point to him not doing that. Can you prove your assertions?
    You should be blasting the coach. He is the head coach, and even if he doesn't run the schemes, he has his hands in that decision. It's also Hud's job to make sure they are doing their jobs. He hasn't done that in a few years. If you want a team that is run like Animal House.go for it.

You should be blasting the coach. He is the head coach, and even if he doesn't run the schemes, he has his hands in that decision. It's also Hud's job to make sure they are doing their jobs. He hasn't done that in a few years. If you want a team that is run like Animal House.go for it.
    I am confused. First you said Hud dictates the scheme to the DC who then runs what he is told. Now you are saying he may not run the scheme but is involved. Well that is a news flash! Aren't HC supposed to have their hands on all decisions?
    This point is fairly important. If Hud is calling the defense and telling the DC what to do then I am in agreement with you. His ego is too big and he needs to go. If you are just making up stuff to complete your narrative that Hud is a egomaniacal muscle head then we can all ignore your thoughts on the subject.

We all know Hud is ultimately responsible for the defense. The only thing that matters is if they get better. If they continue on this path, Hud will eventually be gone.

I am confused. First you said Hud dictates the scheme to the DC who then runs what he is told. Now you are saying he may not run the scheme but is involved. Well that is a news flash! Aren't HC supposed to have their hands on all decisions?
    This point is fairly important. If Hud is calling the defense and telling the DC what to do then I am in agreement with you. His ego is too big and he needs to go. If you are just making up stuff to complete your narrative that Hud is a egomaniacal muscle head then we can all ignore your thoughts on the subject.
    New coordinators come in.and we have the same inept, simple offense and defense that cannot adjust at any time during the game. Do you need more evidence that Hud is dictating schemes to his coordinators?

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    It's almost criminal to have a 200lb DB like Jones and Walker taking on a 310lb offensive lineman. Those guys were tossed like rag dolls the entire first half and it's not their fault, they were playing the scheme they were taught.

The only guy HUD seemed to listen to was Matt Wallerstedt, whom was bought on the staff late in 2014. The defense immediately went from an odd front to a 4-2-5 and we saw immediate improvement from the defense. I'm convinced that this is HUD's defense.

Again, it was Stewart that beat Ole Miss with a Jacksonville St (FCS) team one year prior to coming to UL. Willis reneged on the DC job for the defending National Champs Florida St and recently has coached up a good Saints rookie LB in Stephon Anthony. Rebowe got the hell out of dodge ASAP. Wallerstedt may have said, thanks, but no thanks. This has become a habit for HUD.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread Information