Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Todd Berry as our new defensive coord.
    I would be all for that!

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Todd Berry as our new defensive coord.
    Executive Director of American Football Coach's Association

3. Ragin' Cajuns Ragin' Cajuns Announce Football Staff Changes

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns head coach Mark Hudspeth announced Sunday afternoon that defensive coordinator Melvin Smith has been relieved of his duties effective immediately. Hudspeth added that linebackers coach Mike Lucas will serve as defensive coordinator for the remainder of the season.

4. Default UL fires d-coordinator Smith early in second season

Former Southeastern Louisiana head coach Mike Lucas will serve as UL's DC for the rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Don't know how many have ever been on staffs

things get really crazy at times from yelling blow outs to punches etc---Been on about half a dozen in HS and college and tell you at times it is not a fun thing, but that is what happens when the people who do it are nuts---It is also why so many exes from the profession do so well in other lines of employment---you have guys with an incredible work ethic with huge egos, and they all want to do it their way---and that presents itself with options by the head dude as to what he thinks will be the best remedy to the situation--and in this case it was termination of the DC---Sure hope it works out!!!

While I agree our defense needed some shaking up weather it was to fire Smith or change the scheme it doesn't change how god awful our offense was. I thought our play calling was horrible. O Line looked like deer in head lights. No imagination on play calling and we could not move the ballWe looked very un prepared and often times confused. Who do we fire for that?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    I would be all for that!
    He always had decent defenses at ULM.

Yep!

Yeah Boom. I appreciate the insight. No one really knows what happened. It could have been a big fight or it could have been Hud simply calling in Melvin to his office to tell him that unfortunately things weren't working out. Who knows. Hud comes off as a perfectionist with alot of passion. It's evident in the way he carries himself. I view that as a good thing. Some people don't though. Those people would call Hud a micromanager perhaps. I still believe in him and I'm just not ready to write him off at this point.

Here's to righting the ship!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Of course we are not the most talented bunch. We are in the Sun Belt and have to compete with that other team across the basin. But we have enough talent to compete and win the conference. And obviously we have the talent to beat teams from other conferences in bowl games.
    Melvin Smith didn't work out. He was horrible at Auburn, which is why he was fired from there. Hud took him in and it just didn't work out. His scheme and the way he prepared the players was blatantly awful. I'm just glad Hud has the balls to make a change like that right now.

I still think we can win 7 or 8 games in our schedule (if the defense improves)
    I've spent this entire thread assuming you were being a smartazz. But you're serious, aren't you?

10. Default

Don't know how many have ever been on staffs

things get really crazy at times from yelling blow outs to punches etc---Been on about half a dozen in HS and college and tell you at times it is not a fun thing, but that is what happens when the people who do it are nuts---It is also why so many exes from the profession do so well in other lines of employment---you have guys with an incredible work ethic with huge egos, and they all want to do it their way---and that presents itself with options by the head dude as to what he thinks will be the best remedy to the situation--and in this case it was termination of the DC---Sure hope it works out!!!

If firing this man was an option today, it should have been done in fall camp. He didn't become unfit over night. This is ridiculous timing.

11. Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Yeah Boom. I appreciate the insight. No one really knows what happened. It could have been a big fight or it could have been Hud simply calling in Melvin to his office to tell him that unfortunately things weren't working out. Who knows. Hud comes off as a perfectionist with alot of passion. It's evident in the way he carries himself. I view that as a good thing. Some people don't though. Those people would call Hud a micromanager perhaps. I still believe in him and I'm just not ready to write him off at this point.

Here's to righting the ship!
    ----"NO one really knows what happened"---end of story for now---you hit it on the head!!Could have been Hud/Smith---Def Staff/Smith---players/Smith---Like you, I hope the good ship Cajun turns it around!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I've spent this entire thread assuming you were being a smartazz. But you're serious, aren't you?
    I surely am MAT.
    I too felt like the sky was falling while we were getting beat down by Boise.
    But there are still 11 games on the schedule and only Georgia will by as tough as Boise.
    Call me an optimist I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    How many times has an FBS coordinator been fired after week one??? Something seriously wrong with this well beyond the issues on the field Saturday.
    I want to say Texas did a year or two ago. If not them, another P5 school of equal caliber.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    While I agree our defense needed some shaking up weather it was to fire Smith or change the scheme it doesn't change how god awful our offense was. I thought our play calling was horrible. O Line looked like deer in head lights. No imagination on play calling and we could not move the ballWe looked very un prepared and often times confused. Who do we fire for that?
    Dang it! Mxt3999 had me believing Melvin was our problem! I forgot about the other side of the ball. Dang it! Are you saying perhaps our whole coaching situation is a clown show?
    Dang it! Hud needs to tighten up. I sure hope he doesn't think I mean he needs to hit the gym. some more.

15. Default

"NO one really knows what happened"---end of story for now---you hit it on the head!!Could have been Hud/Smith---Def Staff/Smith---players/Smith---Like you, I hope the good ship Cajun turns it around!!!

I know what happened We looked like 11 floppy kocks out on defense for 4 hours. Nothing else matters.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread Information