Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Our defense has been awful since Greg Stewart. It will not get better. Hud is the problem.
    The 3-3-5 worked ok the few games that darzil washington was able to play. Outside of having a legit dedicated rush lb that scheme sucks balls.

Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

The DC's have been terrible. Just because we went through a few has no bearing on if they were good. It means Hud cannot hire a good DC if it bit him on the azzzz.

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    The DC's have been terrible. Just because we went through a few has no bearing on if they were good. It means Hud cannot hire a good DC if it bit him on the azzzz.
    The common theme is that the schemes have been almost identical with all 5 of them minus the half season of the 4-2-5.
    The Nevada bowl game that season was the best performance yet for a hud defense

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I didn't see a Boise State team that was more athletic or had more speed than UL. What I did see is a program that is well coached and recruits to it's system. We have enough talent to win in the Belt, it's their job to get it done on the football field.
    Definitely agree with this. Boise played to its strengths. That's why the gimmicky 11 AM kickoff was stupid. Boise was going to be Boise, no matter when you make them play.

Cajuns just need to play their game.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Or.Hud is forcing them to run a system that will not work. These are all guys who worked well elsewhere and continue to do so. The only constant is Hud.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerPokeCenter View Post
    I'm not sure about for the majority of your season, but this can't be anything but good for your defense this week, as Lucas knows us as well as anybody.

Your previous DC might not have given us his full attention, but I'm confident Lucas will. He's got some old scores to settle and as I recall, he didn't like us much.
    Fair enough. I'm good with it.

So what type of defensive scheme did Lucas run during his time at SLU and NW State?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Or.Hud is forcing them to run a system that will not work. These are all guys who worked well elsewhere and continue to do so. The only constant is Hud.
    Hawk, take the tin foil hat off for a second dude. Like I said, Hud is fixing the problem as we speak. He should be applauded for doing so. He could keep his friend Melvin on the staff and go 4-8 again, but he didn't. He fired his friend right away. Coordinators come and go all throughout college football, it's not just us.
    Hud is a perfectionist and he expects the best. He is perhaps the sole reason why we have enjoyed so much success in recent years.
    In Hud we trust!
    Give him some credit for recognizing a problem and trying to correct it immediately.

Friends don't fire Friends. Hud dropped the dead weight.

I'm not going to comment whether it was a good move or not, but I can't imagine there's a ton of defensive coordinators around the nation wanting to come throw their resumes for a chance to be the next DC fired under Hud.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan64 View Post
    Guys,

Bear Bryant could be our HC and we wouldn't compete with Boise. What you are seeing has been the result of the deck being slowly stacked against us. We are being out recruited and are not able to attract athletes that would allow us to compete. We are in a state that is over saturated with D1 programs and we are rounding out the bottom of the barrel. The last 7 years has been great, but the ship is correcting course. Just wait for baseball season, and don't get your hopes up.
    Best post here. I am at a loss when I see people here talk about our talent. Where is it? Is Hud sending more or less players to the NFL than is predecessors? I can only speak to Nola talent, but we are not doing well here. In fact I would guess we do worse than all D1A programs not named ULM. Our recruiting has been terrible the past few years.
    I am torn on firing the DC. On one hand it is obvious his scheme blows. I have no idea if he has the players he wants, but it is obvious his players make coverage mistakes and are frequently out of position. On the other hand Hud looks like a buffoon firing DC's all the time. Just a sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Hawk, take the tin foil hat off for a second dude. Like I said, Hud is fixing the problem as we speak. He should be applauded for doing so. He could keep his friend Melvin on the staff and go 4-8 again, but he didn't. He fired his friend right away. Coordinators come and go all throughout college football, it's not just us.
    Hud is a perfectionist and he expects the best. He is perhaps the sole reason why we have enjoyed so much success in recent years.
    In Hud we trust!
    Give him some credit for recognizing a problem and trying to correct it immediately.
    Hud is the problem. He said so in an interview a week ago.

Does he coach from the box or on the sidelines? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if nobody saw him on the sidelines, he WAS NOT a part of Saturday's game. The odd 5hit that I saw at my tailgate leads me to believe that the falling out happened pregame'ish

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    Does he coach from the box or on the sidelines? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if nobody saw him on the sidelines, he WAS NOT a part of Saturday's game. The odd 5hit that I saw at my tailgate leads me to believe that the falling out happened pregame'ish
    If he was the problem with the defense, and he was drunk and sent home.then why did the defense do so bad?

So, your suggesting that they just waited until after the game? Did Smith tank the game on purpose??!?!?! Is there already a riff in the locker rooom??? Where is that parrot to call me a troll? Has he had his crackers today? Does he not believe in The Message?

So many questions.

Seriously, elaborate on this falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    They had announced before the game that he and Lucas would be up in the box.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information