Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . LastLast

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

Default Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Buckley tweeted that Melvin Smith coached the game on Saturday.

2. Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Yea, the Boomer attitude is the perfect cure for cancer. Oh, everything is great you did not upchuck your food after today's chemo, you're doing just great. Naw, you don't need that new treatment, besides it costs lots of money.
    -----And I just thought there that you were gonna stop putting words/comparisons on here that you attribute to me---Please where did I say or give the impression of a good performance from Saturday?-I did give credit to our punter and Nixon for their efforts, along with some defensive efforts---and yes I said I will wait for a staff critique after Tulane---Metaphorical efforts suck when they don't apply---find somebody else that it might apply to!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    You describing you saw him "in a weird confused state" around 9 am on game day sounds like the description of someone who is impaired. I think you have clarified that you are not suggesting he was drunk but maybe "stunned" by having been forewarned of his dismissal or fired pregame. Further it has been said he doesn't drink and MAT offers he always walks around like that (a lost goose) I counter it would be really crazy if he were let go pregame and could accept MAT's explanation as plausible. Even though the defense was awful, and I admit having expectations of improvement that weren't seen in this loss, I think everyone can agree this firing and it's timing came as a shock. With stories about Sarkisian and closer to home the allegations around Wallerstadt's brisk resignation from Texas Tech, I was just commenting that it was quite a coincidence that I had thrown out as a possible reason he was fired was maybe he showed up impaired and then came across your description. Hope it's not the case, wish him well, but if something extraordinary didn't accompany this dismissal things are worse than even the gloomiest of us say they are, and I'm a perpetual optimist. Maybe that's why I think there's something more to the story- but simply looking like an aloof lost goose might be the real explanation for this confusion after all poor performance doesn't go hand and hand with job security.
    Saw him too he walked right by me. Bicker would say everything Scott O has described is very accurate assessment of what took place. That coach walked right down the gravel road in the middle of tailgating never saw anything like that before.

I came away impressed with Jennings. Much more accurate passer than I ever gave him credit for. I thought he was impressive especially considering he's only been here a month. I lobbied for Haack but he sure had a lousy day vs. Baylor. I think there will be much to be learned about our team this Saturday. I hoped for better but realistically didn't expect a much different result vs. Boise. As I recall McNeese was playing LSU pretty tough start of the season last year in the game that got rained away. Our team aren't going to shock the world but we haven't seen their ceiling yet by a long shot. A convincing win, with solid play, will mean something against McNeese. I'll be there in all my sunburned glory, will try for a Ragin Cajun lager again, hoping we get things righted. I don't see this as hopeless at all, but that was a shocking firing especially timing wise, and if things are going to unravel it's going to come. I don't want that to happen and definitely not this Saturday. We'll learn a lot sooner than later.

Did he seem "messed up", crazy, dejected or like a "lost goose"? This seems so extraordinarily odd to me. Our defense has been bad but if you retained your coordinator over the summer, I wouldn't think an opening loss to a quite good Boise team would get you canned. You usually have someone in mind as a replacement, but to start week 2? I don't think they would fire the guy before the game and let him coach so if he was dejected he must have on his own realized this is hopeless. It seems very odd to me and if it's that our defensive coordinator was so dejected and downtrodden he did a farewell UL staggering stroll through tailgating because he couldn't bear to endure a season here, we're in trouble.

Did he seem "messed up", crazy, dejected or like a "lost goose"? This seems so extraordinarily odd to me. Our defense has been bad but if you retained your coordinator over the summer, I wouldn't think an opening loss to a quite good Boise team would get you canned. You usually have someone in mind as a replacement, but to start week 2? I don't think they would fire the guy before the game and let him coach so if he was dejected he must have on his own realized this is hopeless. It seems very odd to me and if it's that our defensive coordinator was so dejected and downtrodden he did a farewell UL staggering stroll through tailgating because he couldn't bear to endure a season here, we're in trouble.
    We are obviously in trouble.

In all seriousness if that's that, and this gentleman was not impaired, not a morning person, up all night or just not happy living in Acadiana area, there will be no need for speculation. If that is the case this will all unravel sooner than later at a colossal rate. This is bizarre, the firing paired with the unusual siting. There's got to be much more to this story or we are in real trouble.

Just don't see how you gonna avoid a split locker room on this one. Bad chemistry is about to happen all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicky Rustle View Post
    Saw him too he walked right by me. Bicker would say everything Scott O has described is very accurate assessment of what took place. That coach walked right down the gravel road in the middle of tailgating never saw anything like that before.
    Could it be possible that he was just confused about how to get to the APC given the construction and detours messing up the original route?

Quote Originally Posted by Bicky Rustle View Post
    Just don't see how you gonna avoid a split locker room on this one. Bad chemistry is about to happen all over again.
    Ever notice how some schools have problems with this and others don't?

If you never cater to the foolishness in the first place, you never invite racial tensions.

Hire, sign, and play the best people you can and never look back.

Some schools do this. Some schools play politics.

Guess what we do.

Scott farmer told Hud to fire someone so everyone would stop talking about him on RP.

Is Lucas a stop gap emergency appointment only? Or can he do something here? Was this decision made easier knowing Lucas could do a better job?

13. Default Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Is Lucas a stop gap emergency appointment only? Or can he do something here? Was this decision made easier knowing Lucas could do a better job?
    Could be yes to all 3 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Could be yes to all 3 questions
    Was hoping somebody knew him or had some concrete insight. Trying to weigh how ominous this move may or may not be.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

It was obviously a chess move by a grand master. Be patient. We're sneaking up on the queen. Be patient. Right now we actually have more of their checkers than they have of ours. Be patient.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . LastLast

Thread Information