Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . LastLast

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    Hud is not throwing away this season. Smith getting fired shows that. I just wish he would've done it after the end of last season
    He is feeling the heat.

I heard it many times at the game. There are more than a few "whales" that sit where I st. "We are not paying a million for this."

2. UL Football Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Well, thank God he cannot reach his million with Saturday's results. His big salary comes with lots of incentive money, and he did not reach it last year either. Still I get the sentiment, a million for this, we could get this for fifty grand a year.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    If Boomer is a cheerleader, I say keep on keeping on. We have PLENTY of repeated negativity here. Plenty. If its not a name thing its "comfortable" or whatever. The optimism is refreshing. Thx
    Quit supporting this. We all have optimism when warranted. Nothing becomes a bigger shat stir than in the middle of a legitimate issue, some numb nut tries to look at the sunny side of a smelly ___. You need to learn this lesson as well. The same people that pretend to be leading the flock toward a green pasture are hugely to blame for our program remaining in a barren wasteland.

Stop the coddling. This system either takes the full beating on the chin. or it collapses entirely. Anyone standing in the way of a full frontal assault needs to get knocked out. Hud is running a train wreck. He either gets a pitch fork to his ___, or the whole clown show lives to be ridiculed endlessly. Boomer is a beautiful, but tweaked mind. Go along. but do not encourage.

Default Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Well, thank God he cannot reach his million with Saturday's results. His big salary comes with lots of incentive money, and he did not reach it last year either. Still I get the sentiment, a million for this, we could get this for fifty grand a year.
    No you couldn't. Bad HS coaches make more than that. Let's let the season play out. If we lose this week then a lot of what is being said will come true and all the gloom and doomers will get to say they saw it first.
    We are rarely good in the first game. How many season openers have we won in the last 20 years? 4? Point is we play in a weak conference and it is possible for us to turn this around.

5. UL Football Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    No you couldn't. Bad HS coaches make more than that. Let's let the season play out. If we lose this week then a lot of what is being said will come true and all the gloom and doomers will get to say they saw it first.
    We are rarely good in the first game. How many season openers have we won in the last 20 years? 4? Point is we play in a weak conference and it is possible for us to turn this around.
    So your point is we are bad for the past twenty years, and therefore expect it to continue. Not exactly the way I envision improving, but to each his own. Who said a head high school coach, just that we could get a coach to do what I saw Saturday for fifty grand.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Louisiana DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So, a few of us argued how much this offense would truly change during the offseason but did anybody really see any difference. The pace was supposed to be increased and yes, I get it, its hard to increase the pace when there is no rhythm being developed because we can't move the ball but did anybody see anything different with the playcalling? Its the same bull____ I've seen over the last year or so.
    Absolutely not. The only change was the up tempo. and it was a joke. The OL instead of creating defensive penalties, either got penalized, or got lost in assignment. And no, we did absolutely nothing different than last year. And Lord help us if our receivers were actually taught to block. They may as well run upfield and at least take some defenders with them. And it wasn't "Boise talent". They weren't even aware of how to drive through a block. They waited, thought they were screening, and then couldn't even contact the pursuit.

Our biggest expectation yesterday, apparently, was some kind of WR blocking strategy. I almost laughed out loud at some of the attempts. The routes, once again, were pathetic. Who scripts this stuff? Can we not cheat and study other route assignments from decent offenses? I've run better plays with sandlot schemes. We create ZERO space. Not a foot of space. Our greatest means of helping our two best athletes on offense, AJ and Eli, is to get these damn receivers on smart routes.

We are screwed if that crew doesn't succeed. But no. absolutely nothing different from last year. I have to guess that Hud stuck his nose too deep into that aspect of the game. Different staff in charge. exact same lame offense.

Nonsense. If you think losing the home opener. and how we lose home openers against good programs. is indistinguishable. you are wrong. And the McNeese game isn't an important win. It's a crushing loss. No one is supposed to wait to assess. If we beat McNeese with a game winning field goal, are we supposed to be relieved? Is the next cheer "We still have our conference goals ahead of us!"

Some can wait until the sewer pit gets in the water well. I like to fix the pump ahead of that.

So your point is we are bad for the past twenty years, and therefore expect it to continue. Not exactly the way I envision improving, but to each his own. Who said a head high school coach, just that we could get a coach to do what I saw Saturday for fifty grand.
    Yes that is what I am saying. Was there anyone who thought this would be a special season? Anyone predicting 10-2, 9-3? Like most people, I fully expected us to lose and lose big. I didn't expect our WR, OL and DB to be just as bad as last year, but they are.
    And no I am not happy with the direction. He has been here 6 years and has not upgraded the talent on the roster. He has also failed miserably to upgrade his coaching staff. The main reason being is that coaches will not even work here for 100K. 50K would get you nothing.

9. Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Quit supporting this. We all have optimism when warranted. Nothing becomes a bigger shat stir than in the middle of a legitimate issue, some numb nut tries to look at the sunny side of a smelly ___. You need to learn this lesson as well. The same people that pretend to be leading the flock toward a green pasture are hugely to blame for our program remaining in a barren wasteland.

Stop the coddling. This system either takes the full beating on the chin. or it collapses entirely. Anyone standing in the way of a full frontal assault needs to get knocked out. Hud is running a train wreck. He either gets a pitch fork to his ___, or the whole clown show lives to be ridiculed endlessly. Boomer is a beautiful, but tweaked mind. Go along. but do not encourage.
    Boomer posts then to bring out explanations that wipe away the debris from mudslinging contests.

10. Default

App St coach makes $375k

11. Default Re: DC: Melvin Smith gets the Rod, Lucas gets the Nod

He will make more next contract.

12. Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

----rating (-)---anyway are you saying that I have been tWicked??? lol---I will wait with BB until after Tulane, but in NOway except for the punting, 3 good runs by Nixon, along with some good defensive plays that this performance was remotely acceptable!!!

MetryCajun, read your private messages.

Cajun game plan: 1-Defense get turnovers, 2- Offense Do not turnover ball.

3- Fire Defensive coordinator because he did not do job. Try again next week.

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    Penrod

Not even sure who you are or if you even post on RP much. Whatever that story was that you wrote made no sense whatsoever. Thanks for referencing me in your blabbering. Now, never did I throw Smith under the bus and call him an alcoholic or even disgrace his name. I stated facts that I saw him in a weird, confused looking state where he was walking alone in street clothes on the Cajun Walk Route an hour after the team passed. It didn't look right but nothing more was even said about this. Then he gets fired on Sunday morning so the prior days event is more prevalent.

Not sure wtf you brought me into your stuttering session that makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich?

Anyway, if you could retype your ramblings above in cliff note version we'd appreciate it
    You describing you saw him "in a weird confused state" around 9 am on game day sounds like the description of someone who is impaired. I think you have clarified that you are not suggesting he was drunk but maybe "stunned" by having been forewarned of his dismissal or fired pregame. Further it has been said he doesn't drink and MAT offers he always walks around like that (a lost goose) I counter it would be really crazy if he were let go pregame and could accept MAT's explanation as plausible. Even though the defense was awful, and I admit having expectations of improvement that weren't seen in this loss, I think everyone can agree this firing and it's timing came as a shock. With stories about Sarkisian and closer to home the allegations around Wallerstadt's brisk resignation from Texas Tech, I was just commenting that it was quite a coincidence that I had thrown out as a possible reason he was fired was maybe he showed up impaired and then came across your description. Hope it's not the case, wish him well, but if something extraordinary didn't accompany this dismissal things are worse than even the gloomiest of us say they are, and I'm a perpetual optimist. Maybe that's why I think there's something more to the story- but simply looking like an aloof lost goose might be the real explanation for this confusion after all poor performance doesn't go hand and hand with job security.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . LastLast

Thread Information