Thread: 3rd tier rights and game time/football schedule

Default 3rd tier rights and game time/football schedule

I only caught a portion of BEV so correct me if I'm wrong. I thought Farmer stated that ASN has an agreement with ESPN so effectively they now have 3rd tier rights behind espn3. Now it seems odd that a regional provider could dictate start time and such but that it's exactly what he stated. They (ASN) wanted to air the S. Al game at 2:30 but put their bid in to late. But Farmer also went on to say the second half of the season is not set and some could even be moved to Friday or a different day.

Seems second rate to me. We are weeks a way from the start of the season and season tickets are being sold and the schedule is TBA. Not the start time but the actual date. Could you image homecoming on a Friday.

Default Re: 3rd tier rights and game time/football schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    I only caught a portion of BEV so correct me if I'm wrong. I thought Farmer stated that ASN has an agreement with ESPN so effectively they now have 3rd tier rights behind espn3. Now it seems odd that a regional provider could dictate start time and such but that it's exactly what he stated. They (ASN) wanted to air the S. Al game at 2:30 but put their bid in to late. But Farmer also went on to say the second half of the season is not set and some could even be moved to Friday or a different day.

Seems second rate to me. We are weeks a way from the start of the season and season tickets are being sold and the schedule is TBA. Not the start time but the actual date. Could you image homecoming on a Friday.
    FUBAR

Keep this cr@p up Savoie, and there won't be a waiting list much longer for tailgating.

3. Default Re: 3rd tier rights and game time/football schedule

ESPN broadcast clout gets first dibs because they are "ESPN" ratings and all.

How can they give those rights away to a no impact entity and still fulfill their end of the "clout" bargain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post

He said they basically have 2nd tier rights (after broadcast ESPN) but still have to put it on ESPN3 as well. I didn't hear anything about ASN putting a bid in too late, just that they wanted 2:30 and we wouldn't agree to that. I'm sure we have the ability to push back some, but I think any time is fair game outside of late summer at 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    He said they basically have 2nd tier rights (after broadcast ESPN) but still have to put it on ESPN3 as well. I didn't hear anything about ASN putting a bid in too late, just that they wanted 2:30 and we wouldn't agree to that. I'm sure we have the ability to push back some, but I think any time is fair game outside of late summer at 2 or 3
    ESPN has all the tier rights to the SBC, they can sell 2nd tier or 3 tier rights to any other affiliate like ASN.

"On with the show this is it!"

7. Default Re: 3rd tier rights and game time/football schedule

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    ESPN has all the tier rights to the SBC, they can sell 2nd tier or 3 tier rights to any other affiliate like ASN.
    I thought they had to stake a claim to their "rights" by a certain date, otherwise they could hold a school hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    But how can a second tier or third tier provider dictate the start time or even the start date. I'm might be "misremembering" but I think he said because they put the bid in after July 25 we were able to say no to the 2:30 time for the S. Al game but other games are still up to ASN.

How can the rest of the league agree to this? I understand the need for Tuesday games. I don't like them but they are at least on national television. Why is playing on a Friday on ASN a good thing for any of the conference members outside of Georgia State?

Thread Information