Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jennings vs. Davis: UL's QB battle is on

1. UL Football Jennings vs. Davis: UL's QB battle is on

Quarterback Anthony Jennings, Cajun returnee Jordan Davis are competing for No. 1 job

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Jennings vs. Davis: UL's QB battle is on

I like hearing, philosophically, they aren't in any way looking at the 2 QB system. Alternating series and such is just a very bad idea. We need to crown a #1. It sucks to come in second place in a starting QB contest, but I feel pretty confident we'll need both Jennings and Davis (in starting roles) before the season is out. And I can see Nixon in short yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I like hearing, philosophically, they aren't in any way looking at the 2 QB system. Alternating series and such is just a very bad idea. We need to crown a #1. It sucks to come in second place in a starting QB contest, but I feel pretty confident we'll need both Jennings and Davis (in starting roles) before the season is out. And I can see Nixon in short yardage.
    I don't think we have gone an entire season with 1 starter since Jake.

4. Default Re: Jennings vs. Davis: UL's QB battle is on

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'm trying not to get my hopes up

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I like hearing, philosophically, they aren't in any way looking at the 2 QB system. Alternating series and such is just a very bad idea. We need to crown a #1.
    Two QB System

Translation: You don't really have a QB

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'm trying not to get my hopes up
    Jalen Nixon is still competing for starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Two QB System

It has worked before but it's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    It has worked before but it's rare.
    If you put a QB in to run a play or two it could worknot if you have a different QB every drive or a different starter every game.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Jalen Nixon is still competing for starting QB.
    In a different situation, I can see Nixon in short yardage. Coming off of what happened last year (with QB carrousel), don't agree with that strategy. Let your horse, wether it's Jennings or Davis, play his position.

10. Default Re: Jennings vs. Davis: UL's QB battle is on

coach HUD looks like beavis in that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    If you put a QB in to run a play or two it could worknot if you have a different QB every drive or a different starter every game.
    Florida won a title with leak and tebow.it can work but it's rare and has to be handled properly.

Florida won a title with leak and tebow.it can work but it's rare and has to be handled properly.
    True, kind of what I meant. A play or two a series can work when short yardage is needed or a trick play. Urban used them perfectly.

True, kind of what I meant. A play or two a series can work when short yardage is needed or a trick play. Urban used them perfectly.
    Not that it would have worked but if jalen didn't get hurt I don't think haack would have got another start.

This is what I was referring to when J1M mentioned "alternating series". I believe alternating series is a horrible idea and a team should always stick with whoever has the hot hand.

Regarding subbing in for a play or two: The problem with subbing in a 2nd QB for a "change of pace" is usually one QB is good passer and the other QB is a better runner. The defense will most often adjust depending on which QB is in the game.

."but what if your running QB can also make great throws?" Then he should probably be the starter.

Florida did win with Leak & Tebow, but that was two very talented college QBs. Most every G5 team does not have that type of talent, very few P5 team even have that type of talent. but I agree that it can work under the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Two QB System

Translation: 4-8 season! hahaha

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information