Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    He's not lost! He's no dummy, he knows the plays.

IMO, the game hasn't slowed down enough for him to make the proper reads and execute the offense. That's what I see. His talent is off the charts, so if he figures out of way to chill, he will be formidable.

Some guys have that ability from day 1, some need playing time, some need a lot of playing time and some never get it. The QB position is all about having the ability to process information under pressure to make the right decision, then letting your skill(s) do the rest.

My concern watching JD in the spring game was he still looked anxious. If you can't slow it down in a spring gamewell, that doesn't bode well.

If you look at the game AJ had against Bama in 2014, it's very impressive. He had only a handful of starts (true sophomore) under his belt and Bama kept him under pressure the whole freaking game. Sure, he missed some throws, but he had more than a handful of drops and that would have moved the chains. No.4 vs. no.15, national TV and they lose to Bama in OT. Not too shabby!
    Agree with everything here. JD is crazy talented, but what Rick describes here is exactly what I saw during the App St game last year. Anxious, unsure of himself, but plenty capable.

Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

Quote Originally Posted by Bicky Rustle View Post
    I had several one on one conversations with Jay Johnson this spring at baseball tournaments. At the time he was O coordinator at Minnesota so there was no coach speak. He said JD has the best talent of any QB we've had since he has been here. Our families have become close friends over the last 3 years and he wouldn't say that unless he truly felt it. I think I'll take coach Johnson's opinion over yours I just think he may know a little better for some reason.
    ""Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    He's not lost! He's no dummy, he knows the plays.

IMO, the game hasn't slowed down enough for him to make the proper reads and execute the offense. That's what I see. His talent is off the charts, so if he figures out of way to chill, he will be formidable.

Some guys have that ability from day 1, some need playing time, some need a lot of playing time and some never get it. The QB position is all about having the ability to process information under pressure to make the right decision, then letting your skill(s) do the rest.

My concern watching JD in the spring game was he still looked anxious. If you can't slow it down in a spring gamewell, that doesn't bode well.

If you look at the game AJ had against Bama in 2014, it's very impressive. He had only a handful of starts (true sophomore) under his belt and Bama kept him under pressure the whole freaking game. Sure, he missed some throws, but he had more than a handful of drops and that would have moved the chains. No.4 vs. no.15, national TV and they lose to Bama in OT. Not too shabby!
    In the spring you saw a very vanilla offense with a very capable runner sitting in the pocket with a bunch of receivers unable to get open. If you watched the same game as me that is. A QB like JD that is not allowed to run in non contact situation is much easier to defend than if it were live. I take absolutely nothing out of what happened in that game.

In non contact practices Mike Desormeaux did not look good either and back then I saw every scrimmage in August. In practice it takes the ability to make plays with your feet completely out of the equation. We all saw the offensive records fall when he was in live action.

I am in no way saying that I am taking a side for AJ or JD. May the best man win. If AJ beats out the most talented QB since HUD has been here, according to one ex coach, then we should be OK.

He spent all spring learning/running a different offense then fit the spring game doesn't have half his first string players and doesn't get to run the offense he just didn't all spring running. As lost and anxious as he liked against app state he also the only person who put the ball in the endzone. The guys had been here for 2 years receiving 4th string and 3rd string reps until this spring. Im not surprised the game was a little fast for him last year.I think everyone is a littke quick to even start writing a book on Jordan Davis. I'm not saying he is the next cam newton but the talent is there, there is no arguing that. Both our redshirt juniors who took first string snaps looked rushed and anxious.that will happen when the D-line is coming from all directions .5 seconds after the snap. The game will slow down for Davis and all our QB when they trust the O-line won't get them killed.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I'm pulling for JD to win the competition over AJ!

Crazy and Bustle both make good points on the subject of his past performancesnot disagreeing, just not accepting their rationale as the primary reason for what was considered less than inspiring spring game performance. Also, I'm not looking at how he played against App and Troy. Spring games do not carry the same kind of pressure as real games. Playing against your teammates is not same as against visiting team. Hell, the game even slowed down for me in the spring games, just didn't see enough PT in real games for that to happen the few times I got in. This is my main point.

Ask Coach Hud why he didn't name a starter after spring practice. Was he waiting for a transfer to make a decision? Naming a starter could have spooked someone making that decision. Or, maybe he didn't see enough from JD.

At the end of the day, if you read into Eli's comments about the competition for QB, AJ coming to UL will make JD a much better QB now and into the future. Nothing like competition to bring out the best in you. This situation has given me a big boost of optimism going into the season.

Geaux Cajuns!

So if JD's weakness is lack of experience like he says.how does he ever get that from the sideline? We have seen where HUD us too hard headed to pull his starter whether we up are up or down by 40it's Huds fault he doesn't have experience. There is only one way to get experience.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    So if JD's weakness is lack of experience like he says.how does he ever get that from the sideline? We have seen where HUD us too hard headed to pull his starter whether we up are up or down by 40it's Huds fault he doesn't have experience. There is only one way to get experience.
    The smart guys on this board were calling for JD to play after the Nech shellacking Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The smart guys on this board were calling for JD to play after the Nech shellacking Just sayin.
    I'm still pushing for Dion Ray to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It isn't just this year its every year and it isn't just losseshe doesn't pull started in blowout wins either.and then we gotta listen to this lack of experience bullsht all offseason. Taylor lamb had been sticking his foot up this conference ___ since he was a true freshman. If every QB you have can't play until they are a junior you are either recruiting terrible QB's or you can't coach.pick one. The sample size we have on Jordan Davis is entirely too small to make a call one way or the other.physically he has it.there is only one way to find out if he has the rest.he has to actually play. I refuse to take anything from a practice where half our WR's were held, McGuire was held out and majority of the o-line held out and hid was trying to keep our new offense a secretthe spring game showed us nothing which is exactly what his really wanted.

10. Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

----Just saying that DEM STARS in recruiting are most times right on the money---Rick you remember Roy coming from ND----B-Way from Houston---and the Tech experiences of the last 2 years----Sure every case needs to be judged by its own situations, but if this guy gets 2 years we have gotten one hell of a "JUCO" transfer----and what you mentioned about the competition is so true in some cases in keeping a guy's head screwed on correctly!!!

11. Default

It isn't just this year its every year and it isn't just losseshe doesn't pull started in blowout wins either.and then we gotta listen to this lack of experience bullsht all offseason. Taylor lamb had been sticking his foot up this conference ___ since he was a true freshman. If every QB you have can't play until they are a junior you are either recruiting terrible QB's or you can't coach.pick one. The sample size we have on Jordan Davis is entirely too small to make a call one way or the other.physically he has it.there is only one way to find out if he has the rest.he has to actually play. I refuse to take anything from a practice where half our WR's were held, McGuire was held out and majority of the o-line held out and hid was trying to keep our new offense a secretthe spring game showed us nothing which is exactly what his really wanted.
    Yes. It was clear that last season was a wash after Akron whipped out azz at home. Jordan should have been playing every snap after that game. He should have played a lot more in the NwSt game as well.

Right! IMO, Hud did not take advantage of the opportunity to get JD more PT in those bad losses. I think he may have been guilty of not accepting the inevitable and went for the miracle finish. There's always something to gain from a bad loss. But, to be fair, he's not alone in this regard. Most coaches pull starters in blow out wins, not losses.

Go back even further, when Broadway was never pulled in blow out wins or losses so we never found out what we really had in haack and Nixon.imagine if we would have know going into Last year those 2 weren't the answer or the future? We could have went afte a transfer or just let Davis take his lumps and he would now be an experienced starter battling a transfer.

Go back even further, when Broadway was never pulled in blow out wins or losses so we never found out what we really had in haack and Nixon.imagine if we would have know going into Last year those 2 weren't the answer or the future? We could have went afte a transfer or just let Davis take his lumps and he would now be an experienced starter battling a transfer.
    Agree 100%.

The QB position has been mishandled on the field and under recruited for incoming talent. Jordan has not proven anything, and I'm not saying he can't, but it's a wait and see situation at QB. I'm hoping with the changes made in the staff on offense, this will improve. It has to, or we are not going to win many games.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information