Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Go back even further, when Broadway was never pulled in blow out wins or losses so we never found out what we really had in haack and Nixon.imagine if we would have know going into Last year those 2 weren't the answer or the future? We could have went afte a transfer or just let Davis take his lumps and he would now be an experienced starter battling a transfer.
    Broadway was the QB of this team. The coaching staff would not have pulled him, even in the losses. He was replaced when he was injured. That's typical. Even in mop-up duty, I don't think the coaches can learn much about the QB2 or QB3. It's more for the player to get game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    Broadway was the QB of this team. The coaching staff would not have pulled him, even in the losses. He was replaced when he was injured. That's typical. Even in mop-up duty, I don't think the coaches can learn much about the QB2 or QB3. It's more for the player to get game experience.
    When you are up by 30 on Texas state you pull your starter.all you need is some 3rd string defender trying to make a name fur himself to roll up on your starters knee. When you are getting your azz whipped by ole miss and a whole season in front of you. You pull your starter and live to fight another day. When you do actually pull your starter let him run the offense.not just turn around and hand off. If you are going to make experience a huge deal, the way HUD does, you can't handle the QB situation that way. The way he handled his QB's.HUD needs to accept the fake when he transitions QB's, that guy will learn on the fly with no experience. Also Jay Johnson wanted to pull Broadway at ole miss but he was yellimg at his head coach on the sidelines that he wasn't coming out.HUD let him have his way.I think that's where HUD lost his lockeroom.or certain players at least.

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

When you are up by 30 on Texas state you pull your starter.all you need is some 3rd string defender trying to make a name fur himself to roll up on your starters knee. When you are getting your azz whipped by ole miss and a whole season in front of you. You pull your starter and live to fight another day. When you do actually pull your starter let him run the offense.not just turn around and hand off. If you are going to make experience a huge deal, the way HUD does, you can't handle the QB situation that way. The way he handled his QB's.HUD needs to accept the fake when he transitions QB's, that guy will learn on the fly with no experience. Also Jay Johnson wanted to pull Broadway at ole miss but he was yellimg at his head coach on the sidelines that he wasn't coming out.HUD let him have his way.I think that's where HUD lost his lockeroom.or certain players at least.
    My comments weren't clear which is my bad. Yes, Broadway should have been pulled when the game is out of hand to avoid injury and to give QB2/3 an opportunity for reps. But, I don't think you can get much from the 2 or 3 about their ability to be a future starter in mop up duty.

My comments weren't clear which is my bad. Yes, Broadway should have been pulled when the game is out of hand to avoid injury and to give QB2/3 an opportunity for reps. But, I don't think you can get much from the 2 or 3 about their ability to be a future starter in mop up duty.
    But its better than nothing.or don't hold experience against the guy if you are the reason he doesn't have it.it's one way or the other.

Oh, I think you can learn quite a bit about a 2 or 3 in mop up duty. Lots of observations to evaluate:

Play calling, whether in the huddle or at the LOS; how the team responds to the new field general; efficiency getting the plays off on time, in the right formation etc.; poise under pressure to name a few.

Lots of intangibles to playing that position, so anytime you get in the game with live bullets it's good for the player AND the coaches.

Remember, lots of times, the 2 or 3 will be joined by his 2nd and 3rd string teammates. The guys he practices with all the time. These guys want to get in the game and show the fans, coaches and family what they can do. It shouldn't be taking lightly. It's important to their development and improves their prospects going forward.

6. Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

Go back even further, when Broadway was never pulled in blow out wins or losses so we never found out what we really had in haack and Nixon.imagine if we would have know going into Last year those 2 weren't the answer or the future? We could have went afte a transfer or just let Davis take his lumps and he would now be an experienced starter battling a transfer.
    ---My biggest fear of allowing the starters to remain in the game is injury----But I don't know how fair it is to the starter not to enjoy some minutes (been in both situations)----The real ______ off is when a guy from another team gets post season awards because of stats that your kid could have easily surpassed had he gotten the minutes in a blow out------and don't forget the guy that has been R-shirted and practice squad all his life to get in a game at Cajun Field (Rudy)!!!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---My biggest fear of allowing the starters to remain in the game is injury

But I don't know how fair it is to the starter not to enjoy some minutes (been in both situations)

The real ______ off is when a guy from another team gets post season awards because of stats that your kid could have easily surpassed had he gotten the minutes in a blow out

--and don't forget the guy that has been R-shirted and practice squad all his life to get in a game at Cajun Field (Rudy)!!!

It's irresponsible to not get your young players on the field, especially the QB that's supposed to be your future, when you have the opportunity. A coach must always plan for the future, always do things with a purpose.

---My biggest fear of allowing the starters to remain in the game is injury

But I don't know how fair it is to the starter not to enjoy some minutes (been in both situations)

The real ______ off is when a guy from another team gets post season awards because of stats that your kid could have easily surpassed had he gotten the minutes in a blow out

--and don't forget the guy that has been R-shirted and practice squad all his life to get in a game at Cajun Field (Rudy)!!!

How many minutes will that starter enjoy with a torn ACL? Or the other starters if he goes down? It's about the team and winning and the program. Minutes and stats shouldn't matter if you have the right guy leading your team at QB.

9. Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

How many minutes will that starter enjoy with a torn ACL? Or the other starters if he goes down? It's about the team and winning and the program. Minutes and stats shouldn't matter if you have the right guy leading your team at QB.
    ----Yes you are correct as I prefaced the injury factor in my post----but, I don't know if you played or coached, but getting a chance for revenge after losing to a team that kicked your _____ is a tough decision for a coach when the kid has a gleam in his eyes and is so deserving of the moment---now in the pros it seems to be totally different as I think much of the money comes from stats!!!

10. Default

Yes you are correct as I prefaced the injury factor in my post

but, I don't know if you played or coached, but getting a chance for revenge after losing to a team that kicked your _____ is a tough decision for a coach when the kid has a gleam in his eyes and is so deserving of the moment---now in the pros it seems to be totally different as I think much of the money comes from stats!!!

A 2 minute gleam in a kids eye is much more fleeting than the entirety of the next 2 seasons

Be an adult, and play your young guys.

Yes you are correct as I prefaced the injury factor in my post

but, I don't know if you played or coached, but getting a chance for revenge after losing to a team that kicked your _____ is a tough decision for a coach when the kid has a gleam in his eyes and is so deserving of the moment---now in the pros it seems to be totally different as I think much of the money comes from stats!!!

How does that gleam look when you down by 35 in the 4th? Yes I played plenty of sports both team and single and I'm very competitive but if it's best for your team and program for your starter to sit so your young guy can develope.he can go gleam on the bench. He had his chance at revenge and he got you down 35 before the 4thor if he got you ahead by 35 then reward him with some time to enjoy his revenge and let your younger guy develope.

12. Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A 2 minute gleam in a kids eye is much more fleeting than the entirety of the next 2 seasons

Be an adult, and play your young guys.
    ---READ MY POST!!!

13. Default

---READ MY POST!!!
    SPEAK ENGLISH!

14. Default Re: Ex-UL starter Nixon staying at quarterback for now

How does that gleam look when you down by 35 in the 4th? Yes I played plenty of sports both team and single and I'm very competitive but if it's best for your team and program for your starter to sit so your young guy can develope.he can go gleam on the bench. He had his chance at revenge and he got you down 35 before the 4thor if he got you ahead by 35 then reward him with some time to enjoy his revenge and let your younger guy develope.
    ---Read my post!!!

---Read my post!!!
    I did twice and you still don't any sense.revenge doesn't have anything to do with anything about what I'm talking about.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information