Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

1. Default Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

It's early July.

For big fans of college sports, that means it's time to start getting geared up for the start of football summer camps around the country next month.

For some fans in these parts over the past 12 seasons, though, it's actually time to reflect back on this past school season and see how the UL Ragin' Cajuns team sports fared on the playing field compared to other programs of all shapes and sizes across the land.

2. Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in Pentathlam

Geaux Cajuns

Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in Pentathlam

This is a testament to the leaders of the athletic department, Dr. T-Joey and Scott Farmer.

Another good year for Cajun fans a testament to the good coaches UL has has on staff. I wish football could of contributed more wins

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    This is a testament to the leaders of the athletic department, Dr. T-Joey and Scott Farmer.
    LOL

This is a testament to Mike Lotief and Tony Robicheaux. Their 100 or so wins in 120 or so games cover up the ineptitude of our other sports. Yes, women's hoops won 25, and men's hoops won 20, but there are no top 50 wins there, and darn few top 100 wins. Softball is elite, and baseball is almost at that level as well; everyone else is middle of the pack in the SunBelt.

6. Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    LOL

This is a testament to Mike Lotief and Tony Robicheaux. Their 100 or so wins in 120 or so games cover up the ineptitude of our other sports. Yes, women's hoops won 25, and men's hoops won 20, but there are no top 50 wins there, and darn few top 100 wins. Softball is elite, and baseball is almost at that level as well; everyone else is middle of the pack in the SunBelt.
    Tidbit: No Pentathlam participant has ever cleared the top-25 board. (across the board)

At the end of the day, the Pentathlam is about going to bed with a win, and which fan base did it consistently.

UL needed every one of those 45 basketball wins to rank where the did.

Football was the only weak link in a contest where after 200+ games a single win or loss can affect the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Tidbit: No Pentathlam participant has ever cleared the top-25 board. (across the board)

At the end of the day, the Pentathlam is about going to bed with a win, and which fan base did it consistently.

Football was the only weak link in a contest where after 200+ games a single win or loss can affect the standings.
    I understand the concept, Turbine, but it is a fatally flawed concept because it assigns the same degree of satisfaction to men's basketball beating Loyola as to softball beating Oregon, or to women's basketball beating LSU Shreveport as to baseball beating LSU Baton Rouge.

No matter how many games they won last year, both basketball teams are mediocre on even the Sun Belt level. Granted the women are improving, but they are still not competitive for a conference title, even in a watered down Sun Belt; and the mean are both mediocre and stagnant.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

This statement is unclear to me. Please explain.

I understand the concept, Turbine, but it is a fatally flawed concept because it assigns the same degree of satisfaction to men's basketball beating Loyola as to softball beating Oregon, or to women's basketball beating LSU Shreveport as to baseball beating LSU Baton Rouge.

No matter how many games they won last year, both basketball teams are mediocre on even the Sun Belt level. Granted the women are improving, but they are still not competitive for a conference title, even in a watered down Sun Belt; and the mean are both mediocre and stagnant.
    I never understood the concept of constantly promoting this "award" ranking.

Theoretically you could have a football team won the BCSNC, but a baseball team win only 19 games, and the baseball program's wins would count more than the football program.

10. Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I never understood the concept of constantly promoting this "award" ranking.

Theoretically you could have a football team won the BCSNC, but a baseball team win only 19 games, and the baseball program's wins would count more than the football program.
    13 or 14 wins and ZERO losses is a MUCH bigger contributor to a good Pentathlam year than (your example) of 19 or or say 20 wins and nearly 40 losses.

Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

It is my understanding that this Pentathlam is not intended to measure the strength or rankings of the teams in question, but simply how many times the teams and fans left the stadium with a win under their belt. Nothing more & nothing less.

12. Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    It is my understanding that this Pentathlam is not intended to measure the strength or rankings of the teams in question, but simply how many times the teams and fans left the stadium with a win under their belt. Nothing more & nothing less.
    ---Oh how I could sell this to kids----We are the school of wins---take all the schools in the country, all of them and look at their athletic program and we are in the top 15 in number of happy endings---Our football goes to bowl games on a 4 out of 5 time basis---MBB goes to a tourney every year and now the girls too---and BB and softball almost to the top 8 in the country---a school with a total sports program--A school that the records of the entire country show to be one of the best at WINNING---that is what we do at UL!!! YES----lol

The CBS Sports collegiate ranking does place some priority of the major sports over others. It usually comes out in late July. Football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, and one sport a college excels in are the basis of the ranking. I believe things are weighted for the two main sports. Two years ago we were in the Top 30 while we were in the Top 40 last year. In both cases very few mid-majors fared so well. This year we will drop a bit due to the football 4 and 8 season. The Pentathlam ranking serves a different purpose.

14. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Oh how I could sell this to kids

We are the school of wins---take all the schools in the country, all of them and look at their athletic program and we are in the top 15 in number of happy endings---Our football goes to bowl games on a 4 out of 5 time basis---MBB goes to a tourney every year and now the girls too---and BB and softball almost to the top 8 in the country---a school with a total sports program--A school that the records of the entire country show to be one of the best at WINNING---that is what we do at UL!!! YES

lol

Overall wins, yeah.I guess that is why we always finish middle of the pack in the Bubba Trophy by the SBC. Granted being mediocre in so many sports and not bad can probably skew the stats.

15. Default Re: Louisiana tied for 13th in 2015-2016 Pentathlam

well didn't we see that come in to play with coastal Carolina in baseball. the world valued Florida's wins more than that of the chanticleers, and see what happened. so I agree with pentathlam that a win is a win! I wouldn't mind taking pentathlam a step further and put all NCAA monies from all sports in the same pot, and divvy it up based on something like this, rather than giving an unequal percentage just to American Football

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information