Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    He didn't do that. He called us Louisiana-Lafayette.

The guy on bases loaded did that.

He said he wouldn't use just "Lafayette." And, he didn't.
    he slipped up once near the end of the game, eighth or ninth, and threw in a "lafayette" for good measure. otherwise he was consistent with "la-laf."

2. Default Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

Besides the name how would you rate (or score) his objectivity?

Default Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

Other than the name thing, I thought the espn crew had a strong weekend. Broadcasts were well paced, informative (even though we, as cajun fans, have heard the some of this before hand). Great camera work, I don't think they missed much of anything that was going on during the games, even with the bang-bang plays. Announcers were sharp, easy to listen to (aside from the name issue) and called a fair game. The talents emotions matched the intensity of the moment. Not much dead air, they allowed the pictures to tell the story, solid banter with Lotif as well. I'd say the guys in the truck (tech, directors, etc) had a grade of A, camera guys A, on air talent, B+Post Game, F-.

Something has to be done. I think we can all stomach some UL-Lafayette on occasion. What ESPN did in the post game calling out "Lafayette" was just to much. The name and what you wish to be called is the brand, as such, it is your intellectual property. ESPN damaged that brand in the post game.I think its time to call some lawyers who have the balls to take this to another level. Otherwise, lets just call UNC, Chapel Hill.LSU, AM at Baton Rouge, Texas.Austin, and on it goes.

4. Default Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    Did he clarify if it his preference or "orders". As a broadcaster isnt it easier to say a shorter name since you have a lot to talk about, especially when some of the action is fast paced,seems adding in the second word every time would add a degree of difficulty
    His ironclad preference for Valparaiso is Valpo.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Other than the name thing, I thought the espn crew had a strong weekend. Broadcasts were well paced, informative (even though we, as cajun fans, have heard the some of this before hand). Great camera work, I don't think they missed much of anything that was going on during the games, even with the bang-bang plays. Announcers were sharp, easy to listen to (aside from the name issue) and called a fair game. The talents emotions matched the intensity of the moment. Not much dead air, they allowed the pictures to tell the story, solid banter with Lotif as well. I'd say the guys in the truck (tech, directors, etc) had a grade of A, camera guys A, on air talent, B+Post Game, F-.

Something has to be done. I think we can all stomach some UL-Lafayette on occasion. What ESPN did in the post game calling out "Lafayette" was just to much. The name and what you wish to be called is the brand, as such, it is your intellectual property. ESPN damaged that brand in the post game.I think its time to call some lawyers who have the balls to take this to another level. Otherwise, lets just call UNC, Chapel Hill.LSU, AM at Baton Rouge, Texas.Austin, and on it goes.
    Lawyers? LMFAO! And rock the boat? Hold your breath waiting for that

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Lawyers? LMFAO! And rock the boat? Hold your breath waiting for that
    Ha! We don't have the nuts to keep Louisiana on the scoreboard when we are playing ULMost. Wait for that lawyer thing. LOL!

We don't use Louisiana on the scoreboard for ANY games that I've seen. But Louisiana is on jerseys.fences.scoreboard name plates.behind home plates.in the end zones.outfield fences.team warm-ups.batting helmets. Miss any?

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    We don't use Louisiana on the scoreboard for ANY games that I've seen. But Louisiana is on jerseys.fences.scoreboard name plates.behind home plates.in the end zones.outfield fences.team warm-ups.batting helmets. Miss any?
    Red wasn't it the last softball series against ULMost that we had to change the scoreboard?? Also, we did use it at one time.exclusively.

9. Default Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post

This is the problem. Our marketing Dept is so inept that they don't even get the magnitude. Softball and baseball (and football every now and then) give you days long commercials Which is how your brand becomes second nature to sports fans. We've made Supers in 5 consecutive years in SB. We've been in the thick of the national baseball conversation for 3 consecutive years in baseball. We've been in bowls 4/5 years (on ESPN). How many more times do you need to get familiarized with a team before you get the name correct? How many more times will our idiot admin allow this crap to go on? For goodness sake, we have marketing masters on retainer AS WE SPEAK and we still can't get the media to call us by our freaking name. Not even our 'official' name!

Wonder why we can't further our athletic program or recognition nationally?? Exhibit A.

You big time Softball fans Probably the most passionate fan base we have I'd raise 50 kinds of hell and demand something be done. In all seriousness, how Mike and company are not irate about this, how Alden is not irate about this (considering that his firm is tied to a university that gets slapped in the face every time they appear on national television with regards to name and brand), I don't understand.

This link goes to a chat for program comments. Feel free to pile on.http://espn.go.com/espn/customercare/index

comments are passed on to the appropriate person/department

Did anybody notice on our scoreboard, it was late in the game, maybe sometime just after Aleah's hr, there was a posting of a longhorn logo on the screen and not a aTm logo? Maybe we are having issues with Texas teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    He didn't do that. He called us Louisiana-Lafayette.

The guy on bases loaded did that.

He said he wouldn't use just "Lafayette." And, he didn't.
    That's correct.

The guy on ESPNU/Bases Loaded was Brendan Fitzgerald

https://twitter.com/brendanfitzespn

13. Default Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

when lineups are exchanged, if the other team's has us listed not as Louisiana, refuse to end the plate conference until it is corrected

14. Default Re: Louisiana vs Texas A&M

when lineups are exchanged, if the other team's has us listed not as Louisiana, refuse to end the plate conference until it is corrected
    There are SEVERAL things that can be done Especially over the length of time that we've been associated with ESPN.

Here's one thing that can be done: "ring ring ring 'Hello?' "Yes, hi, this is Joseph Savoie, President of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. I need to speak to someone that can explain to me why your company continues to misidentify and damage the brand recognition of my University."

Besides the name how would you rate (or score) his objectivity?
    I thought both he and Amanda played it down the middle. I know some were concerned about Amanda being an A&M alum. And, I can tell you he was really looking forward to the assignment. Don't know if you saw it, but he tweeted something to the effect of "on my way to the Lafayette regional and one of the great atmospheres in all of college sports, Lamson Park."

And, I really did like (mentioned this earlier) how ESPN was ready with the explanation of an illegal pitch. They did their homework and had the graphic ready.

On Saturday I got to visit with him for a few minutes and met Amanda for the first time. He was happy to be in Lafayette. He'll have a super this week and will be in OKC. I was hoping he'd be available for a Super in baseball , but he'll be doing games for MLB radio.

One of the reasons I like Adam is, last year in BR, he came into the booth, introduced himself and sat and asked some questions. No ESPN broadcaster has done that.

Said afterwards it's one of the most exciting games he's ever done in any sport.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information