Thread: 2010 SPHL Playoff Format Adopted

1. Default 2010 SPHL Playoff Format Adopted

CHARLOTTE, NC - The mid-winter meeting of the Southern Professional Hockey League Board of Governors concluded yesterday in Concord, NC with several topics being discussed, including expansion and finalization of the 2010 playoff format.

2010 Playoff Format:

The top six (6) finishers in the league standings will make the playoffs:

ROUND 1

· Series A - #1 Seed will play #6 Seed in a best-of-five series with the #1 Seed hosting Games 1, 3 and 5 (if necessary)

· Series B - #2 Seed will play #5 Seed in a best-of-three series with the #2 Seed hosting Games 1 and 3 (if necessary)

· Series C - #3 Seed will play #4 Seed in a best-of-three series with the #3 Seed hosting Games 1 and 3 (if necessary).

ROUND 2

· Winner of Series A gets a bye to Championship Round

· Winner of Series B plays winner of Series C in a best-of-three series with the highest-seeded team hosting Games 1 and 3 (if necessary)

PRESIDENT'S CUP FINALS

· The highest remaining seed will host Games 1, 3 and 5 (if necessary) in the best-of-five Championship.

SPHL Press

Default Re: 2010 SPHL Playoff Format Adopted

Looks like you would want to finish either #1 or #6.unless you need the home games to help your financial bottom line!

Call me dumb, but why should the 6th place team get a bye to the championship, ever?

How about 1 and 2 get byes
    3 vs 6 best of 3;4 vs 5 best of 3.semis best of 3. Finals best of 5. That, my friends, is how rocket science is done.
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Call me dumb, but why should the 6th place team get a bye to the championship, ever?

3 vs 6 best of 3;4 vs 5 best of 3.semis best of 3. Finals best of 5. That, my friends, is how rocket science is done.
    igeaux.mobi
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post

igeaux.mobi
    Right on. The #6 gets to play in a best of five series. Has a better chance of pulling it out in that series instead of a best of three.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    Right on. The #6 gets to play in a best of five series. Has a better chance of pulling it out in that series instead of a best of three.
    The team that should be tee'd off is number 5. What a rip off.

igeaux.mobi

Thread Information