Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

Default Re: Branding, Media and the Alden Report

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Well, that was an investment well spent. Comprehensive and complete in its review and suggestions/plan of action...

As we have long discussed, the "Branding" of athletics and all that encompasses that single descriptive word (adjective, noun, and verb) was broken down into all of its single components from marketing, digital, new media, traditional media, sponsorship's, ad sales, in game and out of game experiences for the fans etc, etc. This report is a total and conclusive road map to the future success (off the field) of UL Athletics. Some of what I liked...

Have a multimedia group like IMG, Learfield, or others handle all sponsorship marketing. It gives UL a national reach that nearly every school in the country enjoys. They also specialize in brand licensing and other internal marketing objectives.

Improve on all of the digital/new media opportunities. Develop more content for distribution, both through traditional and non-traditional means. Folks, the media landscape is going to changing in the near future in Lafayette. KADN/KLAF etc will be put up for sale after Nexstar acquires Media General. KLFY will ride that train while KADN/KLAF will be sold to (in all likelihood) to Meredith Corp. or some other large broadcast group. Most of those don't sell, produce, and air local originated sports. The outlets you enjoy now will be gone.

The biggest advantage to a more multi media approach is in selling the brand/product to anyone in the world who has an interest. Yes, the oilfield sucks right now, but there are alumni and friends and interested parties far beyond the boundary that of Louisiana and Acadiana that would love to be a part of the Cajun Nation with donations if they were only enticed to do so....

Love all the suggestions as far as in-game experiences. "Stomp at the Swamp"...love it. Have always thought that a cajun fiddler or accordion playing the national anthem (have seen it done at softball) would be a great way to kick off any athletic event.

Finally logos and the intellectual property of the university. Personally, I like the "one and only" Ragin Cajuns campaign. My problem is that the brand of "Ragin Cajuns" while owned by UL is continually used and seen without any payment to the University. I just saw a commercial for (I think) TGI Fridays or some other QSR for a Ragin Cajun steak....How much money is the university loosing on this sort of stuff. The University of California (Cal) has a great program that sniffs out and punishes business who use all things Cal that don't pay for the use of or misuse of their intellectual property, logos, etc. This problem goes straight to the University Marketing Office...those buffoons should be fired with the release of this report.....
    Pretty sure when we trademarked Ragin' Cajuns we only did it for athletics leaving others to do what they want with the name.

Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Didn't we bring student fees to a vote some years back but it was shot down by the students vote?
    I don't remember a student athletic fee, according to several UL System Board members it would have to go before them before it was allowed to proceed to a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Hell, if I'm wrong I'll admit it but I'm almost positive there is a ticket fee. Do you happen to have a list of the student fees?
    Not saying you are wrong, but I did present the idea of a ticket fee and was told by a UL System Board member that it would have to be approved by them. Now there has been a facility fee that has helped build Moncla Indoor and then another for the Student Union. There may be another somewhere in there, but I haven't seen it described as a ticket fee.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan83 View Post
    Serious question.. Does anyone think that the current leadership in the athletic department can successfully implement this plan? I'm guessing the part that wasn't released had a review of organizational structures as well as its capabilities.
    That part of the report will never be released to the public. But there is nothing in that report that tells me we have the right person in place today to get it done. There are a number of simple matters when it comes to marketing, branding and scheduling that should have been done since day one by an athletic director and was not accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Pretty sure when we trademarked Ragin' Cajuns we only did it for athletics leaving others to do what they want with the name.
    Then that should change....

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    'Immediate' was just a suggestion. We have years to get at least 1 of the things listed done.
    No you dont......read the Brand Summary part of the report....BTW, it matches exactly what I am hearing in general from others in this business

$3700-"general fees"
    No ticket fee bit I'm sure that'll cover it

This report talks about many many things that have to get done and a lot of them are immediately. But none of this is going to get done in any sort of a timely manner until we increase our athletics staff by a LOT.

To be fair (and I say that understanding none of you need to be fair LOL) suggesting our leadership can't get it done may be valid, but how do we know when they've never been given the resources they need to be successful...and personnel is chief among them.

I'm not smart enough to know exactly what order things need to be done, but I'll argue increasing the staff needs to be at the top of the list.

Mike Alden is well respected...but even he wouldn't be able to get this to where it needs to be without a LOT more people.

There were more people involved in putting this report together than we have on our full time athletic staff.

Think about that.

9. Default Re: Branding, Media and the Alden Report

How much did report cost?

Default Re: Room to grow

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Luke, you didn't mention Alden's branding recommendations and our use of LOUISIANA. It is time for the Advocate's Acadiana Edition to step up in support of LOUISIANA and not avoid the subject altogether with continued use of Louisiana-Lafayette.
    Amen: I'd love to hear why they won't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    That is why I don't read the Advocate.
    Same here.

This is dated (goes back to 2013) but I think it gives an idea of assessed fees students pay.

http://bursar.louisiana.edu/sites/bu...stionsFA13.pdf

Just eyeballing, looks to be north of $600 in university and student assessed fees.

I don't know if these apply to today's students. Might be the same, might be more.

And I think tuition is north of $4k.

By the way, I'm not seeing anything that would suggest any form of fee associated with athletics.

Pretty sure fees and tuition has increased substantially in the last 3-4 years with the state cut backs coupled with the state allowing universities to increase tuition based on performance criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Then that should change....
    I'm not sure you could do this retroactively as a number of business entities already use the name in other markets.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Pretty sure fees and tuition has increased substantially in the last 3-4 years with the state cut backs coupled with the state allowing universities to increase tuition based on performance criteria.
    The question is, why are we still behind La Tech and LSU in tuition and fees? For starters, how about we get on equal footing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    The question is, why are we still behind La Tech and LSU in tuition and fees? For starters, how about we get on equal footing with them.
    Because we were prevented from increasing our fees by the legislature to "keep higher education affordable" until the recent performance allowance. Tech also operates on a quarter system which I think does alter their accounting.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information