Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

1. UL Basketball Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

UL — On a day his team could have been playing for the CollegeInsider.com tournament championship, University of Louisiana men's basketball coach Bob Marlin instead took about 20 minutes to put a coda on his team's 2015-16 season."Our.

The rest of the story
    THE Advocate

Default Re: Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

“It’s frustrating, because you’re only as good as your players.”

Got any more room under that bus, Bob?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    "It's frustrating, because you're only as good as your players."

I just wish we would let him choose his own players instead of forcing him to recruit and play people he doesn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I just wish we would let him choose his own players instead of forcing him to recruit and play people he doesn't want to.
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    "It's frustrating, because you're only as good as your players."

I can't believe that I just read that. Seriously? Who the HELL recruits and signs."your players"?

6. Default Re: Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    I can't believe that I just read that. Seriously? Who the HELL recruits and signs."your players"?
    ---That quote was used with the quotes on the struggles with 3 pointers and that being the major culprit in the season's disappointments---no doubt that it was, but my point is that it seems that opponents get much better looks at 3s than we do----have no idea statistically if this is accurate but the time between getting the ball and shooting just seems so quick for us----Opponents seem to have very open guys---possibly this is the reason for the drop of the 3 point shooting %----and Wronk is the surprising shooter----Oh would I love to have some 3 point guys like L Rock and Cal Irvine----but who mentioned recruiting???

I'll mention it. One of the areas of agreement I've found here is that we need to upgrade the talent on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---That quote was used with the quotes on the struggles with 3 pointers and that being the major culprit in the season's disappointments---no doubt that it was, but my point is that it seems that opponents get much better looks at 3s than we do----have no idea statistically if this is accurate but the time between getting the ball and shooting just seems so quick for us----Opponents seem to have very open guys---possibly this is the reason for the drop of the 3 point shooting %----and Wronk is the surprising shooter----Oh would I love to have some 3 point guys like L Rock and Cal Irvine----but who mentioned recruiting???
    Who recruits them, Boomer? Marlin is a good defensive coach who can't coach offense and seems to not have a good eye for talent at the guard position, and/or can't close the deal on better recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I did. How can a coach say that he's limited because of his players.when HE is the one that recruited and signed his players. If a coach wants better players.find and sign them!

10. Default Re: Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    I did. How can a coach say that he's limited because of his players.when HE is the one that recruited and signed his players. If a coach wants better players.find and sign them!
    ---Guys the question is OBVIOUSLY an agreement that we are being out recruited by the afore mentioned LR and Cal-I-----Why can't we get guys like them that can shoot the all important difference maker----the 3 point shot!!!

The quote was confusing BC Luke mentioned that all of this was said during his interview but I think that the quote about his players was in the past about the inconsistent 3 point shooting.

With Walker, Long, and Hedge gone, it seems Marlin is committed to a small lineup with Washington and Plaissance being the two "big" guys. Next year will be very telling of Marlin

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    With Walker, Long, and Hedge gone, it seems Marlin is committed to a small lineup with Washington and Plaissance being the two "big" guys. Next year will be very telling of Marlin
    You mean the .500 record through 6 years hasn't?

Mel has swayed me a bit in my thinking on the Marlin situation, but the results speak for themselves. Yes, I'd prefer a team that's being built and managed correctly, from school to the court, but again, we need better results. I don't hate the guy, I just want to see our program get out of purgatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    I believe the inside player from Kentucky who just committed is more likely to play significant minutes than Plaisance. He has a body already built for the college game. I also think we sign one more inside guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I believe the inside player from Kentucky who just committed is more likely to play significant minutes than Plaisance. He has a body already built for the college game. I also think we sign one more inside guy.
    I'm assuming you mean 6'7" forward Justin Miller. I was running down the roster and "new" players who may see the court next hear for the first time.

Already on roster:
    RS-FR Jerekius Davis, 6'6" forward
    RS-FR Kadavion Evans, 5'11" guard
    RS-JR Frank Bartley IV, 6'3" guard

True Freshmen (commits)
    Herman Williams, 6'2" guard
    Roydell Brown, 6'5" forward
    Justin Miller, 6'7" forward

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information