Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    The tournament was fun. I'm always a fan of more basketball. They dominated 2 games and had a close one that would have been decided by 1 point one way or the other. Had we just called it quits after the conference tourney, then the season would have been an utter disappointment. The CiT made it far from a success, but we got a couple more wins, another week of basketball and had some fun along the way. Most teams can't say that.
    100% agree and to those that say "glad the season is over", I've 2 words for you.Or maybe 4.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Had a foul to give. Should have fouled him the minute he got to the lane before he pulled up to shoot.
    Yes.when Stove fouled just 4-5 seconds in their last possession, I figured they would foul again before UCI could get a shot off. The guy Best was took 2-3 long strides before pulling up for the rim shotcould have fouled him early and would have left them with 5-6 seconds to get off the last shot. Oh well, I was surprised we had a shot to win the game in the end. We would have stole one with the way we shot from the floor.

3. Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Yes.when Stove fouled just 4-5 seconds in their last possession, I figured they would foul again before UCI could get a shot off. The guy Best was took 2-3 long strides before pulling up for the rim shotcould have fouled him early and would have left them with 5-6 seconds to get off the last shot. Oh well, I was surprised we had a shot to win the game in the end. We would have stole one with the way we shot from the floor.
    Slick---can't remember if there were 2 more fouls we could have had before their shooting FTs---Sure wish we would have fouled even on the shot!!!

If like to hear the explanation of the whistle to sub a UCI kid in while the ball is still on the rim! We missed a free throw- no one had gotten the rebound, and here comes a whistle. So with a live ball and no possession - they stopped play, let the kid sub in, then UCI inbounds the ball. WTF?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    If like to hear the explanation of the whistle to sub a UCI kid in while the ball is still on the rim! We missed a free throw- no one had gotten the rebound, and here comes a whistle. So with a live ball and no possession - they stopped play, let the kid sub in, then UCI inbounds the ball. WTF?!!?
    Yeah, I was wondering what they were doing. Then they reversed themselves & had the sub leave. ??? Both coaches looked totally confused. Fortunately UCI turned it over on that possession. Were you at the game, Danny ? Didn't see you.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Fellas lets let it go. In the end all that this tourney accomplished was allowing Marlin to get his bonus for mediocrity. Hopefully it didn't buy him another 5 year contract. It certainly did nothing to increase Longs stock in the NBA draft.

Happy Easter

Z

7. Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

I "love" extended play.

Not sure what word I would use if UL had won.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Slick---can't remember if there were 2 more fouls we could have had before their shooting FTs---Sure wish we would have fouled even on the shot!!!
    Stove's foul was the 5th. They had one more to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Fellas lets let it go. In the end all that this tourney accomplished was allowing Marlin to get his bonus for mediocrity. Hopefully it didn't buy him another 5 year contract. It certainly did nothing to increase Longs stock in the NBA draft.

Happy Easter

Z
    Aw get out of here with that ****. No one wants to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering what they were doing. Then they reversed themselves & had the sub leave. ??? Both coaches looked totally confused. Fortunately UCI turned it over on that possession. Were you at the game, Danny ? Didn't see you.
    I think the ref just messed up and blew his whistle early.

Marlin probably complained that the player shouldn't have been allowed in due to a ref's mistake and the refs ultimately agreed.

11. Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Stove's foul was the 5th. They had one more to give.
    --Guess the best would have been to foul him on the floor when he was driving in towards the goal----Now I can't decide if the Lil Rock or these guys could shoot the 3 better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post

Happy Easter

Z
    The tourney accomplished more than having a minor financial impact to the coaching staff. Participation here had no impact on possible extensions. The tourney allowed the players to participate in three more games, something they love to do. It also allowed fans to see three more games. I am of the view that the more Cajun basketball I can watch the better and there others who feel the same way. I understand the casual fan having the same view as Z however. There is a larger picture to think of when you consider the impact to the players however. Back to those guys, if you saw the look on their faces as they walked off the court I can assure you they wanted to keep playing. I feel for them this morning as six of them will never be able to put on that Cajun uniform again and they worked their butt off to be able to do so. They generally represented the university well in the process. We as fans will wonder what type of team will be put together in the off season and will be back next November for another season. When you are a player though, this is it. While I am disappointed in last night's result and the season overall, it means little to my life. I am more disappointed for the guys who fought so hard last night and were not rewarded. As said earlier, I wish them well in life and am confident they will be successful as they move on to their next chapters. I thank all of them for their efforts.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I had no issues with the final play calling defensively or offensively. UCI got a little fortunate in having that last bucket drop. We had a chance to cinch it and it just didn't happen. I have no doubt Shawn was fouled on that last shot. but you take the risk in tournament games that refs are just going to let it go.

The only thing I would have probably done if I were Marlin. is to have called the play I wanted on that full time out. and then spent the remainder of it getting in the ear of one of the referees about how your big man is getting hacked when he takes it to the basket. That may have set us up for triggering the whistle. But as someone else pointed out. had we won this game. it would have felt like we stole it from UCI considering how cold we were from long range.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The tourney accomplished more than having a minor financial impact to the coaching staff. Participation here had no impact on possible extensions. The tourney allowed the players to participate in three more games, something they love to do. It also allowed fans to see three more games. I am of the view that the more Cajun basketball I can watch the better and there others who feel the same way. I understand the casual fan having the same view as Z however. There is a larger picture to think of when you consider the impact to the players however. Back to those guys, if you saw the look on their faces as they walked off the court I can assure you they wanted to keep playing. I feel for them this morning as six of them will never be able to put on that Cajun uniform again and they worked their butt off to be able to do so. They generally represented the university well in the process. We as fans will wonder what type of team will be put together in the off season and will be back next November for another season. When you are a player though, this is it. While I am disappointed in last night's result and the season overall, it means little to my life. I am more disappointed for the guys who fought so hard last night and were not rewarded. As said earlier, I wish them well in life and am confident they will be successful as they move on to their next chapters. I thank all of them for their efforts.
    Very good post, Mike. No matter where you fall on expectations out of our programs. the young men that fight so hard while wearing our uniform deserve our gratitude.

Default Re: Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    This is the best team we've seen at the Dome in a while.so question. How does UC Irvine get these recruits and UL doesn't? Not trying to start an argument or anything. Really just curious. How do other mid majors get much better recruits?
    Since when is 39 days "a while"?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread Information