Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16

Thread: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    34% of the outcomes we're subject to that compare unfavorably to our past are due to a trend that reduces the ability of programs/conferences of our status from rising up and out of that status. 66% of what compares unfavorably to our greatest efforts of yesteryear is our coaching/recruiting.

Coach Marlin is a solid man, running a clean program. He's a good to very good defensive coach. He's a fair to good offensive coach. He's not an across the board good recruiting head coach. I think his offensive coaching is hampered by his recruiting limitations. Talent is king in basketball. I think he can identify talent as good as anyone. I don't think he has the personality to recruit better than he has. I'd like the school to either help him know what he needs to add to his recruiting staff, or force a recruiting person on him as a condition of him keeping his job. The alternative to that is to cut him loose.

But the 34% fact in paragraph one, and the difficulty of finding a better replacement should not be taken lightly. We also have to consider that our AD doesn't get all that cranky about mediocrity, and will play a big part in selecting Marlin's successor.
    Agree. I think most of us agree that we've had better coaches and that we've had worse. Your last paragraph speaks volumes and it scares me to think of what could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    Agree. I think most of us agree that we've had better coaches and that we've had worse. Your last paragraph speaks volumes and it scares me to think of what could happen.
    Like the basketball version of Coach Toothpick?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Like the baskerball version of Coach Toothpick?
    In terms of success, though not personality, we had him in WBB. Mr. Rogers' neighborhood was very win-deprived.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Like the baskerball version of Coach Toothpick?
    He was chewing on one in the first TV interview I ever saw him do. I remember thinking to myself "Man we're in trouble".

For us to hire an established head coach with a winning record, I think we would have to pay more than we're paying Marlin. How many of those guys are there that would be willing to come here? With the budget what it is, I don't think the admin would be willing to pay what it would take to get that type coach. That would mean taking a chance on an up and comer type coach.

Having said that I'm of the opinion that we should move on from Marlin after his current contract expires, and I admit we might be worse off by doing so.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We were a team of mid-major quality with Ship.

We were almost there with Pascal, Marty and Jesse.

We are far from it today.
    Once we moved to D1, we were a high major with Shipley. Mid majors don't make the cover of SI as "The team with the most realistic chance to beat UCLA".

Some of our post Shipley teams could also be considered majors. Mid majors don't beat #1 Georgetown with Patrick Ewing, or beat Kentucky at Rupp Arena.

You are certainly correct that Robert Lee and Bob Marlin have coached us out of any resemblance to those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    He was chewing on one in the first TV interview I ever saw him do. I remember thinking to myself "Man we're in trouble".

For us to hire an established head coach with a winning record, I think we would have to pay more than we're paying Marlin. How many of those guys are there that would be willing to come here? With the budget what it is, I don't think the admin would be willing to pay what it would take to get that type coach. That would mean taking a chance on an up and comer type coach.

Having said that I'm of the opinion that we should move on from Marlin after his current contract expires, and I admit we might be worse off by doing so.
    Marlin was an established HC when we hired him. His record at Sam Houston was 235-131 with two tournament appearances with three conference championship. With all that stated, he has underperformed at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Once we moved to D1, we were a high major with Shipley. Mid majors don't make the cover of SI as "The team with the most realistic chance to beat UCLA".

Some of our post Shipley teams could also be considered majors. Mid majors don't beat #1 Georgetown with Patrick Ewing, or beat Kentucky at Rupp Arena.

You are certainly correct that Robert Lee and Bob Marlin have coached us out of any resemblance to those teams.
    I thought highly of UL's basketball history but one outright conference championship in the last 30 years speaks volumes. I don't think all the fault should be shouldered by Lee and Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    I thought highly of UL's basketball history but one outright conference championship in the last 30 years speaks volumes. I don't think all the fault should be shouldered by Lee and Marlin.
    I think there were some extenuating circumstances with micromanagement and low funding that hampered success.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    NOPEBUT I will leave it at that

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16

Thread Information