Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Only time when we were a mid-major was during the Shipley years.
    Ah, that's the tricky part of all this. The phrase "mid major" wasn't used in the 70's. During Bobby P.'s time, were we not independent part of that time?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Those accomplishments don't make you a mid major power. Winning league championships and NCAA appearances do.

One title. Thirty years. We've never been a mid major power
    In pure definition of modern mid-majors today, we are not. During the Paschal era we were a quality mid- major with good wins and 6 post season tournaments in 8 years. Today,UL is a low mid-major.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Only time when we were a mid-major was during the Shipley years.
    There are high mid -majors, quality mid-majors and low mid-majors imo. We were a quality mid -major during the Paschal era with some quality wins.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Those accomplishments don't make you a mid major power. Winning league championships and NCAA appearances do.

One title. Thirty years. We've never been a mid major power
    Ok. But were we a mid major - mid power?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    There are high mid -majors, quality mid-majors and low mid-majors imo. We were a quality mid -major during the Paschal era with some quality wins.
    I should have waited to read your response. You nailed it. We weren't a PMM. but if you break it down to HMM, QMM, and LMM. we were a QMM with Paschal. Quality Mid Major.

I think we're now a FMM. A Fishy Mid Major. We can bait the hook, we can catch some small throwbacks all day long, but when we get a big one on the line. our line breaks. When we miss out on the big offshore tournament, we aren't that bad in a cane pole pond tournament. We don't end up with the biggest stringer. but we catch enough to stink up a skillet. Yep. we are a FMM.

6. Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I should have waited to read your response. You nailed it. We weren't a PMM. but if you break it down to HMM, QMM, and LMM. we were a QMM with Paschal. Quality Mid Major.

I think we're now a FMM. A Fishy Mid Major. We can bait the hook, we can catch some small throwbacks all day long, but when we get a big one on the line. our line breaks. When we miss out on the big offshore tournament, we aren't that bad in a cane pole pond tournament. We don't end up with the biggest stringer. but we catch enough to stink up a skillet. Yep. we are a FMM.
    This guy.
    Brilliantly hilarious.

You are spot-on, J1M! Perhaps your finest allegory! And funny too!

I think past success during the Shipley and Paschal eras (although Paschal did not win an NCAA Tournament game) leaves fans confused about what we are and what we can reasonably expect. We get criticized for expecting what we've seen in the past. Perhaps someone should enlighten us. We aren't down on the players. Someone tell the fans what the problem is if there is one.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

It all boils down to coaching. Marlin is a good guy, but he's a very, very average coach. Things are about as good as they're going to be as long as Marlin is our head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    It all boils down to coaching. Marlin is a good guy, but he's a very, very average coach. Things are about as good as they're going to be as long as Marlin is our head coach.
    34% of the outcomes we're subject to that compare unfavorably to our past are due to a trend that reduces the ability of programs/conferences of our status from rising up and out of that status. 66% of what compares unfavorably to our greatest efforts of yesteryear is our coaching/recruiting.

Coach Marlin is a solid man, running a clean program. He's a good to very good defensive coach. He's a fair to good offensive coach. He's not an across the board good recruiting head coach. I think his offensive coaching is hampered by his recruiting limitations. Talent is king in basketball. I think he can identify talent as good as anyone. I don't think he has the personality to recruit better than he has. I'd like the school to either help him know what he needs to add to his recruiting staff, or force a recruiting person on him as a condition of him keeping his job. The alternative to that is to cut him loose.

But the 34% fact in paragraph one, and the difficulty of finding a better replacement should not be taken lightly. We also have to consider that our AD doesn't get all that cranky about mediocrity, and will play a big part in selecting Marlin's successor.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

No mid major designation in the 80s. Point is mute.
    Ask Patrick Ewing, Xavier McDaniel or doc rivers if we were a mid major power? We gotta stop defending mediocrity. Does your job allow for half assness?

We were a team of mid-major quality with Ship.

We were almost there with Pascal, Marty and Jesse.

We are far from it today.

And you have to take this into consideration. Be it the MAC, WAC, or SWAC.they, like us, are considered mid majors. PC for "all you others." Mid major teams will get a five year run, coach leaves, cycle starts over. We had a chance at our little run to continue or build, but shooting failed us for whatever reason this year.

CN is right. We're light years from where we once were. Game has changed a lot and it's hit or miss. I posted a link to stats yesterday. Hedge was one that looked good on the floor but on stat sheet, eh, so so.

14. Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    No mid major designation in the 80s. Point is mute.
    Mid Major, the original less money phrase for legit D1 teams.

The next attempt to slow financial viscosity was called BCS.

The latest attempt is P5 and G5.

It started with basketball with goals.

No Matt, there are days were your post on the only thing worth visiting RP for.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information