Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    zoomzoom--not sure what you are getting at with the stats.
    How cold the team went the last third of the year from 3. Example, Register. We all know how bad it got for him. Kid ends up right under 30% for the year after being horrific the last month. He obviously was stroking it early in the year. Trick is getting back to that form.

My definition of compressed is if you dont defend out to 23 feet, then the defenders are closer to the goal, hence more compressed.
    zoomzoom--not sure what you are getting at with the stats.
    We played nearly 100 years of basketball dealing with that compression. Nothing has changed except coaches and players getting enamored with the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Question: You mentioned we are no longer a mid major power. When were we a mid major power (after 1973.)

We've won one outright conference title in 30 years. We've never been a mid major power.
    The truth hurts! But you're right. Gonzaga, Wichita State immediately come to mind as consistent mid-major powers. We have a winning tradition but we're not in the national conversation as a mid-major power. The other part that hurts is we're not currently on a trajectory to achieve that status either.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    The truth hurts! But you're right. Gonzaga, Wichita State immediately come to mind as consistent mid-major powers. We have a winning tradition but we're not in the national conversation as a mid-major power. The other part that hurts is we're not currently on a trajectory to achieve that status either.
    so you agree that Marlin and Co need to GTFO?

Z

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    We played nearly 100 years of basketball dealing with that compression. Nothing has changed except coaches and players getting enamored with the 3.
    Basketball has evolved. We have even cut holes in the bottom of the peach baskets.

zoomzoom--Register's issues were a mystery to me. The kid obviously has talent and the shot looks fine. It has to be a mental thing. Hopefully it will sort itself out.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Thats a tough comparison. I dont recall hearing a lot about those two schools in football, baseball or softball.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    so you agree that Marlin and Co need to GTFO?

Z
    Yep. IMO if the Athletic Dept and fan base goal is consistently challenging and winning conference championships in order to make the NCAAs more than once in a blue moon in men's basketball then change is in order. We've hit the ceiling with Coach Marlin.

P

Basketball has evolved. We have even cut holes in the bottom of the peach baskets.

zoomzoom--Register's issues were a mystery to me. The kid obviously has talent and the shot looks fine. It has to be a mental thing. Hopefully it will sort itself out.
    I'm with you. He's always been a gunner but Marlin rightfully saw his lack of defense and it has improved this year. That may be part of it, was on a short leash at end of season. He's a smart kid, he'll get it figured out this summer.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

There have been many very good teams since the advent of the 3 point line who have not depended on making a bunch of 3s to win. Everyone shoots some, but not all lose if 3s don't fall. Point being, you don't have to shoot 25 3s to open up the interior; just enough to keep the other team aware that you will do so if left unguarded.

I disagree about Register. He is not a D1 player. It may be all mental, but if he hasn't worked it out by now, he very likely will not.

One point in the game late in the second half the Cajuns got several stops in a row and did not capitalize because each time down court when Register would touch the ball he would jack up an ugly shot. Didn't matter if he had a defender on him, if he was 5' behind the arc, if he wasnt set, or even if the Cajuns were in transition with numbers.

In my opinion that was the point in the game where the Cajuns had an opportunity to make a run and take the lead and win the game. Poor decision making by taking VERY low percentage shots unnecessarily early in the shot clock killed the run that never was.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    There have been many very good teams since the advent of the 3 point line who have not depended on making a bunch of 3s to win. Everyone shoots some, but not all lose if 3s don't fall. Point being, you don't have to shoot 25 3s to open up the interior; just enough to keep the other team aware that you will do so if left unguarded.

I disagree about Register. He is not a D1 player. It may be all mental, but if he hasn't worked it out by now, he very likely will not.
    +1
    It's pathetic when you get excited if he makes one. A 3 guy making one every now and then

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Question: You mentioned we are no longer a mid major power. When were we a mid major power (after 1973.)

We've won one outright conference title in 30 years. We've never been a mid major power.
    IDK, I kinda thought we were during the Andrew Toney era & the Graylin Warner, et al era (when we beat Florida & UT Austin in the NIT, won the Great Alaska Shootout & the Sugar Bowl tournament. Also beating Cincinnati & Kentucky back to back to win the UKIT) were pretty close to being mid-major powerhouse teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    IDK, I kinda thought we were during the Andrew Toney era & the Graylin Warner, et al era (when we beat Florida & UT Austin in the NIT, won the Great Alaska Shootout & the Sugar Bowl tournament. Also beating Cincinnati & Kentucky back to back to win the UKIT) were pretty close to being mid-major powerhouse teams.
    I agree, Coach Pascal had USL playing at a high level very quickly coming back from the death penalty. Those were fun times. We just can't seem to get back there. It is hard to place the entire blame on Coach Marlin, several other have tried since Pascal with similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Those accomplishments don't make you a mid major power. Winning league championships and NCAA appearances do.

One title. Thirty years. We've never been a mid major power

Only time when we were a mid-major was during the Shipley years.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information